Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Temperature under a hat

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Yes, great work, and that is exactly what I figured on: a wireless blue tooth thermometer.

https://www.bbqsandmore.co.nz/meater-true-wireless-thermometer.html

For now I am happy with the conclusion that absent sun and physical exertion, the Stetson 3X is warmer than the 7X CB and 100, and they in turn are closely equal to a nice Monte.

Experiments under warmer conditions will have to be for another day ;)

That’s kind of like what I did. Four different Akubra felt hats, two days, laser thermometer, and I wore each for 10 minutes. I’m not sure what else can really be done further. From my readings the temperature difference is so slight that you would have to always walk around with a thermometer under your hat to know which is actually warmer. Maybe I’m missing something, but I can’t see what more can change.

Steven

Edward

Bartender
Intriguing experiment.

I would say that the subject's clothes would need to stay the same as well, lest heat escape elsewhere could cause a variable. I'm reminded of the urban myth that heat escapes from the head ten times faster than any other part of the body. This comes from an experiment that was done way back when - military, I think - that found that to be the case in the specific context of the rest of the body being covered in Winter protective clothing. The idea was the prove or disprove the importance of the head wear as part of the overall outfit; in reality, heat comes off the rest of the body at the same rat,e but without a hat to trap it against the body, the heat was lost much faster from the uncovered head than the covered rest of the body.

In terms of the temps being higher in the Straw, I wonder is that reflecting more heat being able to escape from the head than with a felt? Interesting, in that the only felt I've ever found bearable in extremes of heat is my Akubra Riverina - lined, but vented. The coolest of all options I've had was when I put a furfelt fedora into the freezer for a couple of days to fend off moths. putting it on in the morning, fresh from the freezer, it was amazing how nice and cool it felt, though that effect was gone after half an hour or so. I suppose the concept here isn't that far away from the design of a pith helmet.

ThomasK

New in Town
Hello friends,

great what you find out with your measurements! Up to now there is no big difference between the different hats.

Now I am very interested in the temperature under the different hats
on a hot summer day when the sun is shining directly on the hat.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
A post quarantine experiment!

Hello friends,

great what you find out with your measurements! Up to now there is no big difference between the different hats.

Now I am very interested in the temperature under the different hats
on a hot summer day when the sun is shining directly on the hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112