Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thank you Beaver Brands

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
With so much negativity going on (seemingly) in the hat world and among hatters I thought it was time to show what honorable secure hatters do for each other on occasion.
I have a multi order client that was passionately wanting me to build a hat in a color that I do not carry but finally found what he was looking for in Beaver Brands colors selection. Ugg , what to do?

With the optomistic attitude I try to carry with me I called Beaver Brands out of the blue, reached Doug Clabzuba ( boy I hope this spelling is right) , pres of BB, and explained my dilema. He needed only to think for a minute to answer "Sure, I'll sell you one of our bodies even though I don't do that" so,

Hats off to BB. He came through when he didn't have any "upside" to doing so and I can now satisfy a regular client.

There really IS cooperation among reputable hatters and we really AREN'T trying to slit each others throats as it sometimes appears.
There is hope...

EricH

One of the Regulars
Hats off indeed! That is a gesture that says a lot about BB and its management. I think all of us will give BB a second look when we are buying off the shelf. Eric

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
That's the kind of thing we need to hear, and hear often. Hats off to both of you GENTLEMEN! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

barrowjh

One Too Many
BB is not just off-the-shelf. You can customize by selecting hat body (quality of felt), color, crown type, stiffness, brim width, brim type, edge treatment, matching or contrasting ribbon, width of ribbon (in ligne, 11 ligne = 1 inch). Here is my dark brown center-dent, 2 3/8 snap brim, matching 12 ligne ribbon and bound edge.

Hats-07102007005copy.jpg

Apparently, BB cannot directly engage in retail, and when you contact them as a retail customer, they pass you to someone that handles their hats. When I contacted them this winter they passed me to Roger Harrison, and he patiently baby-sat me through a month of trying to decide what I wanted ('first hat' decisions . . . ). If I had been visiting FL I would have known to just contact Duane at thefedorastore, but he is probably just as happy that someone else had to endure educating me.

I wish . . . . BB had a selection of green colors, rather than just 'bottle green' (St Patty's or Kelly green). . . . someone would explain the difference between their 'Jet' and 'Universal' crown types. I notice they use the Universal on Hombergs, so, of course, I'm wondering if it has less taper, or maybe a taller crown.

BB will send you a catalog if you ask, and in it I see that most of their 'cowboy' crowns appear to have no taper. Maybe Duane could find out for us if BB would build you a fedora (open crown, soft) from one of those non-tapered crowns - I suspect it would require a price adjustment to account for the additional felt consumed, and maybe it would be an undesireable change in their manufacturing process (flanging?). If this is possible, it would put them more into a direct competition with artisans like Art, but since BB does not offer 100% beaver, there will always be a separate 'market' for the artisans to exploit.

barrowjh

One Too Many
I had re-sized that to 5 x 3 in adobe photoshop before uploading it to photobucket, but it is nearly 14 inches acoss on my screen after posting it here. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

renor27

One of the Regulars
BB Hats

I have a BB that Art blocked for me love the hat love the blocking.
Glad to know that there is an American company that treats folks right.
My hats from now on will be BBs
DAvid

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DITTO THAT

EricH said:
Hats off indeed! That is a gesture that says a lot about BB and its management. I think all of us will give BB a second look when we are buying off the shelf. Eric

I have been wanting to try the BB semi-custom route, just lacking the scratch. Now that I see Mr. Barrow's sharp little number & hear Art's heartening tale, even more so.
Bravo to Beaver Brand!

:eusa_clap

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
yikes Barrow..like I NEED more competition?..lol
I actually haven't started working with the felt yet so I can't honestly report how it feels to me but you Gents are right, this shows alot about the management of BB and if I'm beyond your reach or desire, then you could make worse choices than BB

mingoslim

Practically Family
Rick Blaine said:

I have been wanting to try the semi-custom route, just lacking the scratch. Now that I see Mr. Barrow's sharp little number & hear Art's heartening tale, even more so.

Ditto . . . I recently posted regarding my lst trip to Chicago, and how I bought a new Stetson from Hats-Plus, then later visited The Fedora Store, and kicked my self after I saw how much nicer the BB hats were that he carried . . .

I think that I will have to give them a try sooner or later . . .
Hats off to Beaver Brands . . .

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
My very first fedora was a BB bought in a little shop in Virginia City, Nevada. It's a fairly nice off the shelf model. The felt isn't bunny butt soft but it is nice to handle and weathers fairly well. It's been worn in the snow several time without getting soggy or wilting. So far I like their stuff and now it sounds like they have good upstanding management.

Cheers!

Dan

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Art Fawcett said:
With so much negativity going on (seemingly) in the hat world and among hatters I thought it was time to show what honorable secure hatters do for each other on occasion.
I have a multi order client that was passionately wanting me to build a hat in a color that I do not carry but finally found what he was looking for in Beaver Brands colors selection. Ugg , what to do?

With the optomistic attitude I try to carry with me I called Beaver Brands out of the blue, reached Doug Clabzuba ( boy I hope this spelling is right) , pres of BB, and explained my dilema. He needed only to think for a minute to answer "Sure, I'll sell you one of our bodies even though I don't do that" so,

Hats off to BB. He came through when he didn't have any "upside" to doing so and I can now satisfy a regular client.

There really IS cooperation among reputable hatters and we really AREN'T trying to slit each others throats as it sometimes appears.
There is hope...

Hi Art. Doug was visiting my store yesterday as we were working out some marketing plans. We purchased some stock to be shelved for immediate shipping, which is new for us with this brand. Doug is a great guy, as are the girls in customer service. We were also talking about you as I was bragging about my hat I got from you. In relentless pursuit of a production hat that mimicks the quality of vintage hats, yours was an example. Please do me a favor once you receive the body, and leave your remarks on the quality of this fur felt. They have made some nice improvements over last years bodies, and with less stiffener I expect to see some real nice results. I am sure the rest of our friends here on the lounge would also like to hear your review of the felt.

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
barrowjh said:
BB is not just off-the-shelf. You can customize by selecting hat body (quality of felt), color, crown type, stiffness, brim width, brim type, edge treatment, matching or contrasting ribbon, width of ribbon (in ligne, 11 ligne = 1 inch). Here is my dark brown center-dent, 2 3/8 snap brim, matching 12 ligne ribbon and bound edge.

Apparently, BB cannot directly engage in retail, and when you contact them as a retail customer, they pass you to someone that handles their hats. When I contacted them this winter they passed me to Roger Harrison, and he patiently baby-sat me through a month of trying to decide what I wanted ('first hat' decisions . . . ). If I had been visiting FL I would have known to just contact Duane at thefedorastore, but he is probably just as happy that someone else had to endure educating me.

I wish . . . . BB had a selection of green colors, rather than just 'bottle green' (St Patty's or Kelly green). . . . someone would explain the difference between their 'Jet' and 'Universal' crown types. I notice they use the Universal on Hombergs, so, of course, I'm wondering if it has less taper, or maybe a taller crown.

BB will send you a catalog if you ask, and in it I see that most of their 'cowboy' crowns appear to have no taper. Maybe Duane could find out for us if BB would build you a fedora (open crown, soft) from one of those non-tapered crowns - I suspect it would require a price adjustment to account for the additional felt consumed, and maybe it would be an undesireable change in their manufacturing process (flanging?). If this is possible, it would put them more into a direct competition with artisans like Art, but since BB does not offer 100% beaver, there will always be a separate 'market' for the artisans to exploit.

You hit the mark, the Universal crown is taller, and the crease is not as defined as the Jet. If you want an open crown, we can do it... just PM me and we can discuss it.

Doug is sending me the materials I need to create an accurate color chart for the brand on the websites. Once it's posted, it will be under the Beaver Brand category under color palette. I suggest checking it out at that time. We are also working to provide a large selection of Derby/Bowlers and Homburgs for St. Patrick's Holiday this up coming season. There will be a large quantity and really nice prices. Just things to lookout for.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Duane, I'd be happy to review the felt after working with it. I received it on Thursday and to the initial touch it seems to be on the stiff side and rough but that often changes while working it and bear in mind that I'm used to working in pure beaver so ANY felt would feel that way to me on initial contact. I''ll be able to tell more after it's blocked & finished.

I'm both flattered and terrified that you brought me up and showed him my work. I don't quite know how to react to that as the degree one takes either criticism or praise depends on the experience of the giver. Since he is a recognized manufacturer his thoughts would carry alot of weight. You didn't mention his reaction so I'm leaning on the terrified side.:eusa_doh:

EricH

One of the Regulars
Art, I wouldn't sweat it. Most of your stuff is usually ok;) Besides unless the critic is a man eating vicuna what's the worry? Eric (wondering where he can find some sterling nutria)

barrowjh

One Too Many
While I'm dreaming . . .

From BB's '2007 Collection' catalog, I'm thinking the 1483 Classic Sand on pg 10, which currently reads Crown: Hi Bull Rider, Brim: 2 3/4 Medium Roll w/Bound Edge, Band: 4 Ligne Ribbon, this in their 5X fur felt.

The alteration: Crown: same initially (to hopefully get 5 1/2" crown height with no taper) - but finished open & soft. Brim: Snap, Band: same, change to their 20X Beaver felt. This would be about as close to an original 'Open Road' or 'Alessandria' as we could get with BB? I was presuming that their 'Universal' crown has some taper, so that's why I'm looking at the cowboy hat crowns.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Barrow, your specs are confusing to me. The standard "Open Road" and the "Allessandria" are both 5 1/2" crowns in their original form. There might have been exceptions ( as always) so how are you coming up with 6" crown?

barrowjh

One Too Many
Thanks Art - I stand corrected - I saw some other posts about an Akubra that mentioned a 6" crown, apparently untapered, so I was wondering if BB could match that.

If those much-desired Open Road and Alessandria hats were 5 1/2", then no need to go 6." I used to wonder what folks were talking about when they discussed taper - then I bid outrageously to find out what all the fuss was about, and landed #130137463363 on July 29th from chapeauxboy; a Borsalino Alessandria from the 50's. In the 2 1/2 weeks I have had possession of that hat and worn it, I have gotten more compliments on it than on my other hats combined for the 4 months previous. When I look at the hats - I see that all the other crowns taper, while the sides of the Alessandria are straight up. So, now I understand why taper is so important. Thanks for correcting me; what if BB could satisfy my request with a 5 1/2" crown but I reject the opportunity thinking I need 6"? thanks. I will edit the previous post-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ