That's A Lotta Latke

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Viola, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Viola

Viola Call Me a Cab

Happy Chanukah, yuhz guys! I didn't see a thread. If there is one, I apologize and blame the fried food.

How's the holiday treating you? I got some lovely things. I hope everyone got some fried goodies, too.

2. Foofoogal

Foofoogal Banned

Happy Chanukah,

yes, to you and yours. I think there is one somewhere on the FL already but the moderator will have to thread them together. Always wanted to do a dreidel.

3. Viola

Viola Call Me a Cab

In my family we played for chocolates, at least whatever chocolates people didn't eat! :)

I have deuced luck searching for threads correctly - I apologize to the moderators if they have to do patchwork.

I need to buy new menorahs for next year; this is my last Chanukah at home. I want one electric one for the window and one regular candle or oil one. I don't know what counts as a vintage look, though. I sort of want the electric one to have flicker bulbs.

4. "Skeet" McD

"Skeet" McD Practically Family

Dear Viola,
    Chag Urim Sameach to you and all our Jewish Loungers!

As you know from our various scribbles, I'm a Catholic...so it's a bit weird to be advising a Jew on Hanukkah! But--as you'll see--I'm a good deal closer to the vintage period than you are...

Take a look at this:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jud355/4144361798/

I grew up in Westchester County, NY, in the 1960s...and remember these in a number of families' homes. In design, clearly a good deal older than the "vintage period"...but definitely in use then. If you want something more "period-looking"...I'd check out items once sold at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC....again, a very Jewish locale, and I remember quite a number of modernism-type menorahs.

Good luck on your search...which I'm sure will be fun, under any circumstances. Be sure to show us what you come up with!

"Skeet"

5. "Skeet" McD

"Skeet" McD Practically Family

6. Viola

Viola Call Me a Cab

That first one looks like a Shabbat candle set my mom has, sort of, I'll take a pic of it. Well not like it like the same set just a reminiscent style.

My parents are currently using a '50s sort-of-modern one because the one we bought new a few years ago, well, it plotzed! A whole "arm" fell off! What the heck, modern manufacterer!

And I need an electric one to put in the window because my fiance is sure I'll light up the curtains. I might buy one of the regular white plastic ones but if I do I'll have to repaint it or wire-wrap it or something because whoaaa boy white plastic is not festive.