Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

That's A Lotta Latke

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Happy Chanukah, yuhz guys! I didn't see a thread. If there is one, I apologize and blame the fried food.

How's the holiday treating you? I got some lovely things. I hope everyone got some fried goodies, too.

Foofoogal

Banned
Happy Chanukah,

yes, to you and yours. I think there is one somewhere on the FL already but the moderator will have to thread them together. Always wanted to do a dreidel.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
In my family we played for chocolates, at least whatever chocolates people didn't eat! :)

I have deuced luck searching for threads correctly - I apologize to the moderators if they have to do patchwork.

I need to buy new menorahs for next year; this is my last Chanukah at home. I want one electric one for the window and one regular candle or oil one. I don't know what counts as a vintage look, though. I sort of want the electric one to have flicker bulbs.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Viola said:
I need to buy new menorahs for next year; this is my last Chanukah at home. I want one electric one for the window and one regular candle or oil one. I don't know what counts as a vintage look, though. I sort of want the electric one to have flicker bulbs.

Dear Viola,
Chag Urim Sameach to you and all our Jewish Loungers!

As you know from our various scribbles, I'm a Catholic...so it's a bit weird to be advising a Jew on Hanukkah! But--as you'll see--I'm a good deal closer to the vintage period than you are...

Take a look at this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jud355/4144361798/

I grew up in Westchester County, NY, in the 1960s...and remember these in a number of families' homes. In design, clearly a good deal older than the "vintage period"...but definitely in use then. If you want something more "period-looking"...I'd check out items once sold at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC....again, a very Jewish locale, and I remember quite a number of modernism-type menorahs.

Good luck on your search...which I'm sure will be fun, under any circumstances. Be sure to show us what you come up with!

"Skeet"

Viola

Call Me a Cab
That first one looks like a Shabbat candle set my mom has, sort of, I'll take a pic of it. Well not like it like the same set just a reminiscent style.

My parents are currently using a '50s sort-of-modern one because the one we bought new a few years ago, well, it plotzed! A whole "arm" fell off! What the heck, modern manufacterer!

And I need an electric one to put in the window because my fiance is sure I'll light up the curtains. I might buy one of the regular white plastic ones but if I do I'll have to repaint it or wire-wrap it or something because whoaaa boy white plastic is not festive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points