Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 1939 Timewarp House

Wells

Familiar Face
Thanks for sharing.
I always find these people very interesting. It's something all of us would like to do, but rarely go the full ten miles to do it.
I like to imagine what it is exactly that pulls people to do such abnormal things. I think it's quite beautiful.

filfoster

One Too Many
I can only imagine the difficulty, to which she alludes, finding a significant other who'd share that level of enthusiasm for living in 1939. It's hard enough to find a decent consort without that extra.

On the bright side, what a cheap date: snogging by the radio.

AdeeC

Practically Family
I knew a guy once who lived like a Victorian/Edwardian gentleman. Dressed in top hat and tails, or frock coat with all the trimmings. Rode a penny farthing and had a horse and buggy. Used kero and gas lighting in his house. All the furnishings were authentic. He made sone consessions for modernity and had a phonograph and candlestick phone. He wasn't a loner though and threw some outrageous parties and had a wide circle of friends. His home was like a salon where he would hold court entertaining visitors on most days. His biggest problem was he overindulged in all the drugs that were legal in Victorian times. Went mad and ended up in a home for the homeless and died quite young.

Last edited:

filfoster

One Too Many
There's something to admire in all that, and fear. My employer wouldn't be too keen on my appearing in office in morning dress or a period sack suit. I'd be asked to return home or visit my physician.

Did your Victorian time traveler enjoy a private income?

AdeeC

Practically Family
There's something to admire in all that, and fear. My employer wouldn't be too keen on my appearing in office in morning dress or a period sack suit. I'd be asked to return home or visit my physician.

Did your Victorian time traveler enjoy a private income?
He ran a bike shop which had been in the family since the late 19th century and also dabbled in antiques. His life was quite tragic in that that he was a brilliant person with charm and personality but struggled to fit his alternate reality into the real world. His hell raising and nihilism became extreme. In the end he lost everything. His drinking and drug taking became suicidal. He was only about 30 when he died.

emigran

Practically Family
There's a fellow I've seen walking through the neighborhood (for years) dressed in "Pilgrim" garb... tri corned hat (with turkey feather), knee length tight pants, long vest, white bell-sleeved shirt,white stockings. large buckle shoes. leather shoulder bag... Don't know where he comes from or what his story is about.... gotta be ten years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points