Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 1950's Hollywood look

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
Okay Gang, I need your help.

I am into the Rockabilly look with over 100 vintage rockabilly shirts, but I am stuck.

I am going to my 25 class reunion and I don't want to do the rockabilly thing. I am looking for the classic Hollywood look.

I just can't place my finger on it outside of the Hollywood waist pants.

If any of you have some ideas with pictures, I would appreciate it. I love the look of William Holden in SUNSET BOULEVARD. Most of what he wears appears to be a polo shirt with dropped loop pants and a suit jacket. For some reason the polo shirts of today don't have the same look....

Anyway, since the reunion is at the end of this month (April), I really don't need to go vintage if I can find "close enoughs" from modern clothes.

George Clooney seems to capture a classic Hollywood look using modern styles, so that would be find too.

Thanks!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Slacks with at two or three button sport coat. I don't mean just a suit jacket. I mean a fifties patterned sportcoat, like maybe a black wiht flecks.

Or, a gaberdine two button suit with wide lapels, or a later fifties look would be a dark thinner fifties suit.

For shirts, you could wear a medium collar gaberdine opened collar, or closed collar with a flashy tie, or a white dress shirt with a narrower tie.

Tiller

Practically Family
For a quick look at "the 50's" I'd look at classical tv programs, and movies from that time period. I'd (personally) also take some cues from the Nero Wolfe mystery series which is also set in the late 40's early 50's.
Nero_Wolfe_03.jpg

MC.jpg

hutton.jpg

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
^ that last pic is VERY nice!

What is the dresscode? When I think of old Hollywood, I think of tuxedos, but I am guessing that is overdressing (although it would make one hell of an entrance!)?

Definitly a superneat shave and sideparted/pomaded hair!! You said it yourself, George Clooney captures it well George Clooney. Moustache optional.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Ah yes, 1950's Hollywood, otherwise known as the LA Confidential aesthetic. Basically, you'll be good with anything Kevin Spacey wears in this film.
MV5BMTUxMjY1ODQ3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjE2NDc3._V1._SX475_SY389_.jpg
18865781.jpg
eric_laconfidential2.jpg

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
resortes805 said:
Ah yes, 1950's Hollywood, otherwise known as the LA Confidential aesthetic. Basically, you'll be good with anything Kevin Spacey wears in this film.
MV5BMTUxMjY1ODQ3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjE2NDc3._V1._SX475_SY389_.jpg
18865781.jpg
eric_laconfidential2.jpg
Kevin Spacy's look in this film was the first thing I thought of when I saw the title of this post!

tuppence

Practically Family

BinkieBaumont said:
"Class of 1925?" or class of "1984"? It's rather vague, oh, I wish to point out that I am no relation to Hugh Beaumont, my Baumont is actually pronounced "Fosdyke-Smythe"

I'm sure I just read that book a couple of months back. I just can't remember which?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot