Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Alienist" - Who's Watching?

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Anybody watching this one? It's a very intriguing, albeit disturbing murder-mystery series about a psychologist (back then, called an alienist) played by Daniel Bruhl, as he and the supporting cast, New York Times illustrator John Moore (Luke Evans) and Sarah Hannah (Dakota Fanning) chase a mysterious psychopath committing gruesome murders throughout 1896 New York City. Great suspense, but you know what I'm watching it for. ;)

lead_960.jpg

Reactions: RBH

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I loved the book back when it was published. It was very engaging, interesting, and fun. The show so far lacks the energy and forward narrative momentum that the book had. So far, it feels joyless. I hope that it improves.

Edward

Bartender
I've been distracted by severla other shows, but it's on my Netflix list to get to now I've finished Gotham Season 4....

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I loved the book back when it was published. It was very engaging, interesting, and fun. The show so far lacks the energy and forward narrative momentum that the book had. So far, it feels joyless. I hope that it improves.

I've never heard of the book but I agree with you about the show. It's dull and too much like so many other shows. And as I wrote somewhere else - the 'chasing a mysterious psychopath' premise is about as corny an idea for a show as I can think of, whether in Victorian garb or modern.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
As I think I said on another thread, most of what made the book pretty unique back when it was published - a serial killer procedural using psychological profiling with an interesting historical setting - has been so endlessly mined since that the story comes off as familiar and overdone now. The show's production is opulent and the performances okay... but this adaptation is coming about 20 years too late for it to feel in any way original or special. And with the endless viewing choices of the Peak TV Era... it's just another lame basic cable miniseries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21