Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Art of the Flight Jacket (my A-2, custom artwork)

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
This turned out so nice! Anneke in The Netherlands did an awesome job with my wife, and my Mustang. I will fly to Amsterdam next Monday to get the jacket. I do not have any real photos yet, just what I got from Anneke's FB page.

Here it is...

A-2 Texas Toye.jpg

Stand By

One Too Many
Man, you're so lucky to have a real Mustang. Meanwhile, the rest of us have to make do with a model kit like an Airfix P-51D in 1/24th scale, 1/48th or 1/32nd or 1/72nd scale.(the first model kit I ever got was an Airfix P-51D in 1/72nd scale in 1973 when I was 6 years old and I can distinctly remember being handed it in the kitchen of our old house and feeling so pleased as I also got handed a Supermarine Spitfire too! And I know I got glue everywhere and all over the canopies ... but it was what started me in the hobby that I still do today and began my love for military history - and later, flight jackets and jacket art!) -- but you, you get a 1/1 scale original !!! Wow. We can only but dream .... and good for you! :)

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Ok...let's tap the brakes just a bit. While the Mustang is real, it is a Titan T-51D Mustang. It flies just like the real deal, except an NA P-51-D is much heavier. Mine is a 3/4 scale version.

Thanks for the compliments on the jacket. Anneke was so patient with me! I gave her a lot of "detail" direction for the airplane. She did exactly as I instructed! I highly recommend her for your custom artwork if you have a jacket that needs some paint!

pak

One of the Regulars
That is a really nice paint scheme. I'd like to see it up close.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
That is a really nice paint scheme. I'd like to see it up close.

It's in the U.K. You can see it anytime Ben takes it out flying!
My paint scheme is the 3rd Fighter Group, 3rd Fighter Squadron, 5th Air Force. Based in Mindoro, P.I., 1944-1945.

P-51 Texas Toye.jpg

Peter 1956

One of the Regulars
Both plane and art looks fab! What type of A2 are you going for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Both plane and art looks fab! What type of A2 are you going for?

The jacket is my Excelled A-2. The jacket is extremely well made. Cowhide, thick and heavy. It would take a beating, I'm sure. It was bought as a patch jacket. Got it on sale. Made in the USA.
IMG_0742.JPG

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Tx, thanks for these threads. I love your Mustang! Glad you scaled the girl down too.

Ha! Yes, scaled down the original pin-up gal's chest. Plus, we used the "Stars & Bars" rather than the Texas flag. Most here voted for this. But on a FB page, almost everyone went for the Texas Flag.
We most likely will paint the flag on the Mustang. Looks like we might be in the paint shop mid summer, 2017. Maybe August.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points