Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The beginning to wearing a hat of style

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
I need some help guys.
I have always wanted to own and wear a fedora type hat and I think its time.
I live in England so its not to easy to buy the right one or even know where to go.
I dress shirt and tie/ Chino's or smart trousers and wear an A2 /sometimes an A1 jacket.
What style of hat would you recommend.
I am thinking more Robert Redford in the Natural rather than Indiana Jones.
Still what to buy.
Colour.
Where to buy. Ebay. On this forum. In a store - on line (although I do visit the States on business -once or twice a year,
Hat size . Never had one in my life. How do you measure your head.
Come on men. Help me out please
Point me in a direction of previous threads if possible.
Thanks in advance
Alan

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Persimmon, Welcome!
I think the best place to start is eBay - that's what I did - and I have several great hats that I wear regularly now. Make sure you have your exact head measurements and the the hats you look at are properly sized. Have someone measure your head in inches around the crown - not too tight - not to loose. That measurement can be converted to hat size with the attached chart. Remember, if you find something that you really like and the price is right, it may be reblocked to resemble 'The Natural' to some degree. Determine your budget first, because some of the better hats can quickly break the bank! If price is no object you can have the hat just as you want it from one of the custom hatters often mentioned on the FL.

Hat-Size-Chart.jpg

or International: http://www.genaconti.com/HatSizeConversion.htm

Good luck - and make sure you post some pics when you've got the hat of your dreams!

-dixon cannon

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
A good idea is to visit a hat shop and try on lots of hats to see what suits you. Even if said shop sells low quality hats, it can still give you an indication of the best crown height and brim width.

I unofficially live in Nottingham and if I recall correctly there is a least one hat shop on the Ilkestone Road. I've never been in there since I've only seen it driving past on the bus, so I can't say anything about the quality.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
I'm an amateur compared to many here, but I think the Fed IV pulls off that 'Natural' look better than the 'Indiana Jones' look. The ribbon may not be quite as wide, other than that you're in the ballpark...pun realized. Check out the I love the Fed IV thread, see what you think. The Fed IV is sold only by Hats Direct in Australia. There may be better vintage choices, but cost and availability depends on your size. If you have a cloth or soft measuring tape, just wrap it around your head about where you wear a hat. Do it a few times. Inches or centimeters. BTW, welcome to the lounge.:)

One Too Many
Hats in London

Persimmon said:
I need some help guys.
I live in England so its not to easy to buy the right one or even know where to go.
I dress shirt and tie/ Chino's or smart trousers and wear an A2 /sometimes an A1 jacket.
Still what to buy.
Colour.
Where to buy. Ebay. On this forum. In a store - on line (although I do visit the States on business -once or twice a year,
Thanks in advance
Alan
Dear Brother, if you are living in England is so easy get a good hat, you have many options, there are trade mark hats with excellent quality, some years ago I could buy in St. James Street in Westminster a beautiful hat, in Lock and Co. Store, there, they show any kind hats and sizes, teach you many things about hat use, it is a serious company. I can only invite you: to buy one and start to get a good collection.:p :p :p

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Chuck Bobuck said:
I'm an amateur compared to many here, but I think the Fed IV pulls off that 'Natural' look better than the 'Indiana Jones' look. The ribbon may not be quite as wide, other than that you're in the ballpark...pun realized. Check out the I love the Fed IV thread, see what you think. The Fed IV is sold only by Hats Direct in Australia. There may be better vintage choices, but cost and availability depends on your size. If you have a cloth or soft measuring tape, just wrap it around your head about where you wear a hat. Do it a few times. Inches or centimeters. BTW, welcome to the lounge.:)

If you want the "Natural" look like Robert Redford in the movie of the same name I'd go with the Akubra Campdraft rather than the Fed.

carldelo

One Too Many
Persimmon said:
I need some help guys.
Still what to buy.
Colour.
Thanks in advance
Alan

I wouldn't try to start buying on ebay, not knowing your size or what will look good on you. I advise buying your first from a hat store, something versatile that you can wear with many of your clothes. Also, if you can afford it, skip wool and buy a fur felt. For instance, a Christy's Epsom from Hornets Hats in a neutral color (medium gray if you wear black and grays, dark brown if you favor earth tones) would be a good starting point. It has a medium width brim and a modest crown. After wearing it for a while you will start to get an idea of what suits you best. Also, it's a good idea to bring someone whose opinion you trust with you - not every hat seller will tell you if you look bad in a hat.

For instance, the Epsom is about halfway down this page and is shown in brown and gray:
Good luck.

PS looking at your avatar, a brown Epsom would look great with your leather jacket.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
kaosharper1 said:
If you want the "Natural" look like Robert Redford in the movie of the same name I'd go with the Akubra Campdraft rather than the Fed.

You would need the change out the ribbon, but I can see what you mean.

The_Natural1.jpg

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
150719541 said:
Dear Brother, if you are living in England is so easy get a good hat, you have many options, there are trade mark hats with excellent quality, some years ago I could buy in St. James Street in Westminster a beautiful hat, in Lock and Co. Store, there, they show any kind hats and sizes, teach you many things about hat use, it is a serious company. I can only invite you: to buy one and start to get a good collection.:p :p :p
I must demur. I find that the venerable old hat makers of London, Herbert Johnson and Lock included, have since the mid eighties produced truly inferior quality hats that they sell at astonishing prices. It is fun to look around at Lock and at the HJ corner of Swaine Adeney, but I wouldn't buy there.

Buzz

One Too Many
Ok.

M6Classic said:
I must demur. I find that the venerable old hat makers of London, Herbert Johnson and Lock included, have since the mid eighties produced truly inferior quality hats that they sell at astonishing prices. It is fun to look around at Lock and at the HJ corner of Swaine Adeney, but I wouldn't buy there.

Buzz
That is fine, in this way our friend, now, have two places in your land, where, He can buy a good hat, I bought one in St. James street much years ago, Monaco Model, maybe now does not produce any more, but in this time I liked it. Now me desire visit Europe again and hunt a good hat, maybe a Mayser in Germany or a Habig, austrian hat.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot