Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Black Hat Brigade

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
I was never big on black hats. I have one 2"er that I don't wear much at all. However, yesterday I took delivery of a 1930s Adam 'The "Tux Adam,"' which has a perfect-for-me 2 3/8" bound brim, and perfect proportions all around, including a 4 1/2" front pinch.

More details in the New Hats thread, but here's a coupla shots:

View attachment 198626 View attachment 198627
Wow, this is glorious! Let me know if you ever get over black hats again! Half joking. Well, a quarter joking. (I somehow remember that we are size twins, creepily enough.)

Anyway, let's see more black hats. Looks like I resurrected a 2.5 year old thread. Let it not be for naught!

Who?

Practically Family
Waiting for cooler weather. (Rand’s Hats Gambler)
This is my everyday hat during the cooler part of the year.

Attachments

• PXL_20220626_134641698~3.jpg
    PXL_20220626_134641698~3.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Wow, this is glorious! Let me know if you ever get over black hats again! Half joking. Well, a quarter joking. (I somehow remember that we are size twins, creepily enough.)

Anyway, let's see more black hats. Looks like I resurrected a 2.5 year old thread. Let it not be for naught!

There are other threads for black hats too:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/no-love-for-black-hats.73015/page-9

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/black-fedoras-like-em-hate-em.7516/page-17

My feelings on black hats have evolved over the last few years. However, due to the climate where I live I don’t have any plans to wear one for the next several month. I wish I lived somewhere that would allow me to wear felt In the summer.

Mm25

Practically Family
Didn’t say it wasn’t appropriate. I dont get tied up in all that etiquette stuff anyway. Other than common sense.
I really only have two rules for hat wearing, and they are only for me, anyone else can do whatever they want, no problems.

Rule one is, I wear what I want.
Rule two is, when my wife gives me “that look” I decide I might want something else.

I do like a black felt for evening wear, even in the summer.

There are other threads for black hats too:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/no-love-for-black-hats.73015/page-9

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/black-fedoras-like-em-hate-em.7516/page-17

My feelings on black hats have evolved over the last few years. However, due to the climate where I live I don’t have any plans to wear one for the next several month. I wish I lived somewhere that would allow me to wear felt In the summer.
Brent, There is always after sunset. :)

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
@deadlyhandsome - Thanks for the links!

@deadlyhandsome @Mm25 @mayserwegener - Ohio is great, in that it gives me many months a year to wear my trench coats and (currently theoretical) fedora. But this time of year is dreadful. It was still so hot, sticky, and balmy tonight, even at midnight.

I love autumn and spring, but I'll take winter over these humid summers. I prefer being able to breathe, plus it's easier to warm up than cool off.

@T Jones - Excellent work, yet again! Did you redo the edge binding with a thinner ribbon, or is it an optical illusion?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
@deadlyhandsome - Thanks for the links!

@deadlyhandsome @Mm25 @mayserwegener - Ohio is great, in that it gives me many months a year to wear my trench coats and (currently theoretical) fedora. But this time of year is dreadful. It was still so hot, sticky, and balmy tonight, even at midnight.

I love autumn and spring, but I'll take winter over these humid summers. I prefer being able to breathe, plus it's easier to warm up than cool off.

@T Jones - Excellent work, yet again! Did you redo the edge binding with a thinner ribbon, or is it an optical illusion?
Thank you DD! Yes. I added the thinner brim binding and thin ribbon.

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
Thank you DD! Yes. I added the thinner brim binding and thin ribbon.
Very nice. As much as I've always been a raw edge guy, I have as much a fondness for an edge binding that matches the ribbon. Especially on a black hat, a black edge binding can help highlight the overall form of the hat, where in certain lighting it may otherwise be lacking.

This further complicates my search for my ideal hat, but I suppose we like what we like!

I really only have two rules for hat wearing, and they are only for me, anyone else can do whatever they want, no problems.

Rule two is, when my wife gives me “that look” I decide I might want something else.

I think most wives have their own personal version of "The Look".....i get it more when I say or do something stupid rather than what I am wearing. I think she gave up on that aspect a while back.

I have to admit when I see someone wearing a black western hat with cargo shorts & camouflage crocks in the hot summertime the first thought that comes to mind is “rookie”.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ