Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The British Fairbairn and Sykes fighting knife

Blackjack

One Too Many
I've been looking for a pattern one or two FS knife reproduction and for this. McDonald Armories in Edinburgh. As far as I know, this is about the best reproduction to one of the most famous knifes ever.
http://www.macdonaldarms.com/armoury/forsale.php

1st.jpg

Otter

One Too Many
Wilkinson (Yes same as the razor people) who make the British Army swords made a very nice repo back in the late 80's early 90's. Not sure if they still do it but a few queries on some knife forums might throw one up.

The classic "Willie Knife" is worth a look at for a good survival knife.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
There is a book about self defence by W.E. Fairbairn. ALL IN FIGHTING is the title. Just the thing for disarming assailants, ripping through arteries breaking arms and legs and generally telling you how to kill people including some handy hints with the knife. I study it but somethings are a bit hard to practice. Any reinectors want to give me a hand and play the enemy ;)

Last edited:

Blackjack

One Too Many
I've been looking on Ebay for an original 1st or second pattern original, most of them are ridiculously priced considering they made millions of those knives. I do think I may have to get one of those MacDonald Armories repros though. They're the best I've seen, most of the repros are shit.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
There is a book about self defence by W.E. Fairburn. ALL IN FIGHTING is the title. Just the thing for disarming assailants, ripping through arteries breaking arms and legs and generally telling you how to kill people including some handy hints with the knife. I study it but somethings are a bit hard to practice. Any reinectors want to give me a hand and play the enemy ;)

Only if we do it the Monty Python way and you attack me with a raspberry and I am armed with a revolver.

Blackjack

One Too Many
A blackened blade that will not reflect light is best. The skull knob handle, and a 'thumb print' etched above the handle are telling.
MacDonald makes one called the Shadow that's all black and it still has the FS logo on the blade. Fairbank designed the knife to be all nickel because he thought that half of the battle in a knife fight was to intimidate the person with a flashing blade

Blackjack

One Too Many
MacDonald makes one called the Shadow that's all black and it still has the FS logo on the blade. Fairbank designed the knife to be all nickel because he thought that half of the battle in a knife fight was to intimidate the person with a flashing blade
Fairbane..... damn voice recognition

Harp

I'll Lock Up

I was a teenager when last had a Sykes, it was black and the area above the bolt featured a thumb notch.
The Sykes is for a silent fast kill. It is the finest knife made for that distinct purpose.

Blackjack

One Too Many
I was a teenager when last had a Sykes, it was black and the area above the bolt featured a thumb notch.
The Sykes is for a silent fast kill. It is the finest knife made for that distinct purpose.
well it's certainly one of the most iconic knives ever made, if you want to own a piece of history that's really cool you can't go wrong with one of those

Otter

One Too Many
Gotta agree with you Harp. Like you I carried one for a while but asside from the fact it is a great stabbing knife it is pretty much useless for anything else. I replaced mine with a Carl Schliefer which had a spear point with a rolled hammer back edge. Much more practical. The Cold Steel Kobun type makes a more practical silent kill knife these days. YMMV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points