Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BWANA arrives! - First pics.

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Hey all,

After almost a year of research by many members of this board, including Sharpetoys, BellyTank and Art Fawcett amongst many others, the first Bwana safari hat has finally come out of Art's shop of wonders.

This hat is the result of a search for a seemingly odd, double-brimmed safari hat worn by Stewart Granger in the 1950 version of King Solomon's Mines. Oddly enough these hats can also be seen in early jungle films like the Tarzan movies and Trader Horn, both the 1931 and 1970s version.

Anyway, here is the first look out of the box after a little hand massaging. The hat is a smidge too tight, but Art and I are working to correct that with a little outpatient surgery. I have also found that having a hat with two brims, and hence, a double-layered sweatband makes for a very different wear experience. It will take more time to make this hat pliable in that regard, so in the short term - I'm getting used to it - but in the long term I have a feeling this will be the most durable felt hat I will ever own.

Here it is - I apologize for the dirty mirror...and the ugly mug under the hat.

bwana1.JPG

bwana2.JPG

Fedora

Vendor
:cheers1: What a great replica!!! Art, an amazing job!! Now, I need to find out how you did the double brim and make myself one. Is that felt from our feltmaker?? :) Fedora

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Thanks guys - though the compliments should really go to the three I mentioned in my post - the researchers, Sharpe' and BT, and the artist, Art, - I was just the fanboy with the obsession.

I'm hoping to go to Africa sometime when all the unrest settles down (relatively anyway) and I plan on wearing it with some traditional khakis and hiking boots, though I could use some suggestions on the footwear - Aldens are all I have with the vintage look and I don't think they'd be the right thing for the serengetti.

Is it heavy? Yeah, a little more than say, the AB I have. Also, as I said above, the double-layered sweat band area makes it more resistant at first to your head, but after only two days of massage therapy and a little TLC with the Thompson Hat Stretcher, it's breaking in nicely. Again, mine is a smidge too tight, but I think that will work itself out in time, especially after that wooden stretcher Art is sending arrives.

As for the rest of Granger's outfit from the film, it's actuallt fairly nondescript - a khaki hunters shirt with that half-button down thing going on and loops for his hunting rounds. His pants look like baggy khakis, though he doesn't wear a pants belt of any kind, which I found strange. I'll post some screen grabs soon of his odd diggs. In one scene he wears a black gunbelt and in another camp scene he has on what appears to be a traditional safari jacket like the ones for sale at USWings.

Time will work the rest of that out. I think the hard part is over though...thanks to you know who.

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
I love this entire "reproducing a movie look" thing! It has a lot of charm. Another odd thing I notice about Stewart Granger's hat in the film is that the pungaree band is clipped in the front, instead of the side, as usual. stranger and stranger.
and, while we're on the move look subject: I would love to reproduce Clark Gable's look in "It Happened One Night"...the (probably brown) fedora and 30's high waisted, belt back, cargo pocket two button suit. um.

macawber

Familiar Face
Double Terai hat

Interesting hat....what praytell is the purpose of the two brim construction...other than general hipness at being unique?

During the time of the British empire, sportsmen on shikar in India would wear a double felt hat called the "double terai hat". At that time they believed a double felt hat was the way to protect oneself from the tropical sun. People wore this style of hat throughout the tropical areas of empire.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
...makes sense...

Hi Macawber!

I heard that term recently actually- thanks for jolting me.

I think you're on to something there- you've solved tha conundrum- well done! -the Double Terai is no doubt the origin of the double crown/brim Colonial slouch hat- given the era and location- Colonials and all.

We were discussing all the possible reasons for the double construction in the original thread.

One source mantioned that the Ghukas used the double brim on theri slouch hats, for the purpose of keeping the 'razor sharp' profile of the slouch hat's brim- Regimental pride and all.
Another was that the hat would keep its shape and hold up to constant wetting and drying... another was as head protection from falling jungle objects(coconuts?)

But yes- the Raj/Colonial lot were obsessed with sun protection and had all kinds of bogus ideas- like the spine protector- a padded covering to wear on your back... avoid sun-stroke (keep you warm at least)

They also thought that the colour 'red' would protect one from the sun- hence red hat linings...(and the spine protector)

On the topic of Tropical head-dress; the Pith Helmet is sometimes referred to (especially in Hindi, or in Country) as a Sola Topee- not SolAR Topee.

A topee/topi is a hat(in Hindi) and Sola is a (pithy)plant from which the pith comes. The Vietnamese Pith Helmet uses a different plant material.
Cork was often used.

The confusion between Sola and Solar is easily understandable, considering they sound all but the same.

I'm a big Slouch hat fan.

Well done Cobber!

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Just a note on Pugarees...

Craig Robertson said:
...Another odd thing I notice about Stewart Granger's hat in the film is that the pungaree band is clipped in the front, instead of the side, as usual. stranger and stranger.

It was quite normal for Colonial head-wear to have the 'V' in front(although they are seen on the side too)- look at some Slouch hats and Pith Helmets in Military use. The Pug' on the military hats is differently constructed from what you see on a Panama hat. The ones used by the British Colonials in India and Africa were intended to immitate or reflect a 'real' Pugaree- the type of Turban worn in various regions of India but particularly notable as being worn by the Sikhs.

You'll note that the way a true Pug' is wrapped and tied- the crossing-over of the 'pleating' is in front.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points