Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cafe Racer/Motorcycle Jacket Thread

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I know that this site is more generally concerned with WWII/flight jackets, but I don't see why we can't have a thread for biker jackets (especially cafe racers).

I'll start with the teaser pics of my Diamond Dave Buco J-100 in seal/chocolate brown shinki horsehide. It should be here early next week, two whole weeks early. I think I might be excited:D:cool:

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Looks great mate! There's a few biker jacket threads worth a look here. That is a great jacket...Dave does great work, and seems like a great guy...what's the lining? Do you get any lining options? It looks superb...

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Looks great mate! There's a few biker jacket threads worth a look here. That is a great jacket...Dave does great work, and seems like a great guy...what's the lining? Do you get any lining options? It looks superb...

Well I haven't seen a biker thread with postings lately so maybe this is a revival haha:)

He has been great to work with. I believe it is just standard cotton drill. I didn't ask about lining options because that was what I wanted anyway.

Thanks!

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
That's an awesome jacket and beautiful leather.
Excuse my ignorance, but who is Diamond Dave and does he have a web site?
Thanks,
Lenny

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
My Diamond Dave prototype.
image.jpg image.jpg

Is there any particular reason why cafe racer jackets tend to have zippers on the top/outside of the sleeve, as opposed to the inside/back seam sleeve zippers which are somewhat of a standard for classic Perfecto styled jacket? AMC, Indian and Durable are the only three companies I know of that made MC jackets with top sleeve zippers. . .

technovox

One Too Many
himelSleeveCU.JPG
Is there any particular reason why cafe racer jackets tend to have zippers on the top/outside of the sleeve, as opposed to the inside/back seam sleeve zippers which are somewhat of a standard for classic Perfecto styled jacket? AMC, Indian and Durable are the only three companies I know of that made MC jackets with top sleeve zippers. . .

Most of the cafes I've seen or own have the zippers on the inside bottom seam of the sleeve. The only ones I've seen with the zipper on the top outside is my Himel and Kehoe. (But I've never owned a Buco or Diamond Dave.)
Personally, I prefer the zipper on the top of the sleeve because it's rarer, and I like seeing instantly if the sleeve is zipped up or not without turning my arm around. Plus I think it's a little more edgier look. Zippers look cool! But perhaps it's an aerodynamic consideration to put the zippers on the underside of the sleeve...

Last edited:
I have ridden a motorcycle for quite a few years and have collection of MC Cafe jackets and some even vintage. Sleeve zippers are on the bottom of the sleeves on all of mine. I think a top sleeve zip was just due to how a few certain jacket makers did theirs. Wouldn't make much difference to me..but I do like them on the bottom of the sleeve.

Last edited:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I never really noticed the zipper placements until it was brought up here, but now I notice most cafe racers I see do have them on the bottom and back, but the J-100s seem to have them more on the outside.

Huh. I've pretty much gotten such impression from the brands I've been looking into; Himel, Kehoe, DD, RMC and even the new Aero racing shirt, they all have zippers on the outside but yeah, I haven't handled that many cafe racers to begin with so my initial observation may be wrong.
I think you're right though, Technovox, sleeve zippers on the outside definitely are more rare. I've asked Aero to put them on the outside of the sleeve on my jacket so to avoid scratching everything I put my arms on to (plus I really dig the look of it) and so far I haven't really noticed any downside of my choice - though they do seem to push a bit into my hand when I pull on the throttle. I'd say that the ideal position for sleeve zippers would be on the back seam, which tends to position itself across the side of the arm when you're holding handlebars and thus never get in the way.

Excellent jackets, HD. Is that last one Model A or B?

Last edited:

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Heres my old British Cycle Leathers jacket. Made long in the body, so they fit great for a tall guy like me. Super cool lightning zippers all over. image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko