Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Chicago Cubs Are Going to the World Series!

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
I've lived through an awful lot of "next years," so many that I've not allowed myself any emotional attachment to the team since the September choke to the Mets in 1969... but I do believe this is pretty exciting news.

Bury the goat: it's a new day.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
And, in other news, this guy says it is getting mighty cold where he lives! ;)
maxresdefault_zpsqaeyo79c.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Congratulations to all long-suffering Cubs fans everywhere. I have to admit I'm kind of torn over who I'll root for in this Series -- if it was anybody else but the Cubs I'd have no problem throwing my alliegience to the Indians because Terry Francona is one of my favorite people in the world, but on the other hand, 1908. It's a pity they can't both win.

The Curse of the Billy Goat vs. the Curse of Rocky Colavito. We indeed live in Interesting Times.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
The only moral dilemma that could have arisen for me would have been if the Red Sox were up against the Cubs. I know that any Red Sox successes are a crown of thorns to Yankee fans, and that brand of schadenfreude alone covers a lot of acreage. Against that: 71 years since a World Series slot, and those painful memories of '69, when even Durocher couldn't undo the September choke against (yeah, I'll admit it) a legendary Mets team. Glad the Indians made it: their fans have had their heartbreaks over the years as well. But if for no other reason, I want the Cubs to take it so that the herd that follows That South Side Team will finally cease and desist with their babble about 2005.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Both the division win and national league championship were a struggle: bats silenced, Kershaw's deadly accuracy at the corners and his two finger split heater;
hardly a North side linear progression, but the defense was spectacular-though I thought Joe lost his marbles to the stress when he had Heyward pinch hit,
the Dodgers' intentional walking JH and Miggie slamming one. The Giants were also hellish, a very tough knock down dragout. Glad that's all over and the real fun can begin.:D

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
This is truly something else! I've been an on again, off again Cubs fan since I was a young child, but this is the first year I truly got into it. Let the joyous news be spread, the cursed old goat at last is dead!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Breaking news! This gentlemen has reported that ice skating and other winter activities are great at his place!
maxresdefault_zpsqaeyo79c.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'm one of those casual fans for whom this series brought the game to my attention again. There was no way I could stay up to watch to the finish, but it was a hell of a last game.
The general feeling among people I've spoken with in Ohio is that if we had to lose, then we're happy it was to the Cubs, this year, in this series.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
I'm one of those casual fans for whom this series brought the game to my attention again. There was no way I could stay up to watch to the finish, but it was a hell of a last game.
The general feeling among people I've spoken with in Ohio is that if we had to lose, then we're happy it was to the Cubs, this year, in this series.

Most Cub fans here would say the same re: the Tribe & their fans. Their team fought well, especially in that eighth inning rally, and enjoy a lot of well earned respect in this town.

EngProf

Practically Family
I'm not that much of a baseball fan, but I watched that last game from start to finish - and paid attention. No reading a book or other distractions...
It was actually fun and interesting to watch.
Congratulations Cubs!

Hercule

Practically Family
Our sincerest congrats to Cubs fans! Though we live in Cleveland we really don't do sports in any way shape or form, but we followed the world series. It was great to experience all the excitement and of course the thrill for Chicago fans. As for our home town team, I can't image a better way to lose the world series than the seventh game in extra innings. (Actually I went to bed before the game got anywhere near the end, but I excitedly checked in the morning!)

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Though we live in Cleveland we really don't do sports in any way shape or form, but we followed the world series. It was great to experience all the excitement and of course the thrill for Chicago fans. As for our home town team, I can't image a better way to lose the world series than the seventh game in extra innings.
Was talking to a friend this morning who recorded the game so he could zip through commercials. Since it was a live event, he set to record an extra hour. He missed the 10th inning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk