Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Closet Door is Open - Lavender Ladies & Gents of the Golden Age of Hollywood

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Reporter/humorist H. Allen Smith worked in Hollywood for a time in the forties after moving from New York. He said that in Hollywood you hadn't arrived until you were making $2000 a week and rumors went around that you were a swish. You were then permitted to wear your overcoat over your shoulders like a cape.lol

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab

“I’ve kept silent all these years because I didn’t want to hurt any of these people .... I finally said yes because I’m not getting any younger and all of my famous tricks are dead by now. The truth can’t hurt them anymore.”

He means, of course, that he cannot be sued for libel anymore. I wonder if he knows David Bret?

29SCOTTY-popup.jpg

He was rather dashing himself

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I read quite a lot of "old Hollywood" bios and stories. It is really shocking how many celebrities back in those days weren't really who we all grew up thinking they were. Also very sad that it was considered "necessary" to conceal their true preferences.

The studios were masters at covering up everything from sexual preferences to drug use to car accidents and illegitimate children. I'm convinced if Lindsay Lohan had lived in the 1930s, she would have been a huge star and nobody would ever have known about her escapades.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider