Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Collectors Dilemma

Xopher

A-List Customer
I’m an historian, a collector and a reenactor.

I often buy original vintage stuff with the mind of wearing it, but then the collector in me says “But this is NOS original, I can’t wear this” so it becomes and unintended collection.

Case in point.

I bought an unissued pear of original Vietnam jungle boots dated 1967. They are flawless. I got them planning to wear them. They arrived, I felt guilty and now they are on the shelf. Still never worn. An unintended collectors item.

So

I found another pair of originals. Very lightly worn, maybe only a few hours on them. They are dated 1966 and are a transitional model. Very early spec.
My thought was to wear them and collect the first pair I ordered.

But now I feel guilty about using them too! So what the hell do I do now?

Collect them both as historical relics?

Wear the lightly used older 1966 version and save the NOS 1967s?

Wear the NOS 1967 and save the rare older 1966 version?

Or say screw it and wear them both? I mean Vietnam surplus isn’t like wwii surplus…but it is still 50 years old.

What would you do?

P.S- I’ve never found good repros that are “right”. All the repros I’ve found have something lacking and are damn near $200

Peacoat

Bartender
I’m an historian, a collector and a reenactor.

I often buy original vintage stuff with the mind of wearing it, but then the collector in me says “But this is NOS original, I can’t wear this” so it becomes and unintended collection.

Case in point.

I bought an unissued pear of original Vietnam jungle boots dated 1967. They are flawless. I got them planning to wear them. They arrived, I felt guilty and now they are on the shelf. Still never worn. An unintended collectors item.

So

I found another pair of originals. Very lightly worn, maybe only a few hours on them. They are dated 1966 and are a transitional model. Very early spec.
My thought was to wear them and collect the first pair I ordered.

But now I feel guilty about using them too! So what the hell do I do now?

Collect them both as historical relics?

Wear the lightly used older 1966 version and save the NOS 1967s?

Wear the NOS 1967 and save the rare older 1966 version?

Or say screw it and wear them both? I mean Vietnam surplus isn’t like wwii surplus…but it is still 50 years old.

What would you do?

P.S- I’ve never found good repros that are “right”. All the repros I’ve found have something lacking and are damn near $200
Simple solution: Keep them both as collectables and find another pair with more wear on them.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
This is a tough one. I'd probably use the ones with the most wear. I never like to be the first one to mark something, and in the case of vintage, I purposely look for worn pieces. A little hole. Missing a button. Needing a cleaning. I appreciate the price usually being cheaper, but for a person like me, not giving the item its first flaw is significant. If it is already beat up, I'm more likely to use it.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
When you say you “are a collector” what do you mean? Do you display or do you just find yourself accumulating interesting historical items?

Bugguy

Practically Family
I'd wear the 1967 NOS... in my opinion they're not collectable "in the original box" like matchbox cars or beanie babies. where "pristine" is what counts. Frankly, who cares about mint boots - there are probably more out there in a crate somewhere. For a collector the value is in the story, i.e. the fact that they were slightly used and are slightly more historic (transitional) vintage. I would think as a historian, you'd agree that the value is in the fact that they were worn by someone who may have chosen to go to SE Asia - before the draft. The Story!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points