Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Death of the Hotel Message

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Forgive me for being irreverent, but the image that I got from your thread, I just had to share:
[video=youtube;fUxR965b4LU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUxR965b4LU[/video]

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm going to miss them. How about you?
I have never had the chance of receiving one such message, but I did got written notes of other kind.. You're not at home (mostly, since I was a youngster back then, I was out and about, and my parents *fortunately for both sides* had no idea what was I about). When I came back home, there could be a message, from a friend. That was normal - they come, my parents (or grandparents), without wanting to be rude, simply ask s there a message, and pass them a piece of paper.
It was also quite educational - on the long summer holidays, one could easily forget how to write. Mom being a teacher, could not lat that happen, right? :D
No one leaves messages like that any more.
They just text "Where are you?!". Sadly, this means: I can no longer be "out and about" without anyone knowing what I'm about. lol

I just had to share
"Mango likes candy".
What happened to "don't take candies from strangers"? :D

Alright admit it...how many of you did a double take when you first read the title as "The Death of the Hotel Massage"?

Not to run the train off the track any worse, but, yeah - that's what I read at the first glance. Probably need an upgrade to my prescription. I have never had any experience getting a hotel message, I'll admit (although, after reading the blog post, I wish I had) but I can remember a time when every hotel/motel room up and down the gulf coast came equipped with those coin operated " magic fingers" vibrating beds. I can't remember the last time I saw one of those. Unlike J.P., that's what immediately popped into my mind. Different coasts, I guess.
Apologies to the original poster. I'm sure this is NOT where you envisioned this going.:)

Last edited:
Not to run the train off the track any worse, but, yeah - that's what I read at the first glance. Probably need an upgrade to my prescription. I have never had any experience getting a hotel message, I'll admit (although, after reading the blog post, I wish I had) but I can remember a time when every hotel/motel room up and down the gulf coast came equipped with those coin operated " magic fingers" vibrating beds. I can't remember the last time I saw one of those. Unlike J.P., that's what immediately popped into my mind. Different coasts, I guess.
Apologies to the original poster. I'm sure this is NOT where you envisioned this going.:)

Magic Fingers! :rofl: Riiiiggghhhttt....

MikeKardec

One Too Many
It seems to me that there was a period when the hotel lobby was dominant as a meeting place, even for people who weren't staying in the hotel. It also seems the same era was when a lot of single men lived in hotels full time. My uncle did, up til the 1950s. He was a reporter and worked hours that made housekeeping impractical. Anyway, the lobby and hotel restaurant and bar were "the center of town" for a certain sort of person. I still use an old hotel that way in a small town I frequently visit. I used to stay there but now it's just a convenient meeting or waiting place.

I haven't seen a lobby boy or bell hop deliver a message to a patron in a hotel lobby since I was a kid ... until 2 weeks ago. I was staying in the Hotel Adlon in Berlin (rebuilt in grand style post reunification) and saw a mysterious eastern European man delivered a message by one of their "lobby boys" (a very attractive young lady actually). Rather than being something out of a James Bond novel it definitely felt more like John Le Carre or Alan Furst!

But then that is the sort of thing that is supposed to happen at the Adlon!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've had messages left for me when I checked into hotels. Typically I was arriving for a conference and colleagues had left me messages. "I'm in room 201." "We're meeting for dinner at 6pm, restaurant x." That sort of thing.

Apmann

New in Town
I've had messages left for me when I checked into hotels. Typically I was arriving for a conference and colleagues had left me messages. "I'm in room 201." "We're meeting for dinner at 6pm, restaurant x." That sort of thing.

I've experienced this as well. A decent hotel offers a type of service that often seems quite old fashioned, and excellent.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
. . . I can remember a time when every hotel/motel room up and down the gulf coast came equipped with those coin operated " magic fingers" vibrating beds. I can't remember the last time I saw one of those.

As I recall, East Side Motel in Gatlinburg, TN still had them in some rooms last time we were there. As recently as a few years ago you could still find them at cheap mom & pop motels all over the South.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ