Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Do-It-Yourself Dude

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Had to share this pic of a dude in knee pants, white shirt, ascot and gloves painting his car. The car appears to be a Renault, and the license plate says it was taken in 1920 in New York state.

On the site I swiped it from, one guy commented " I don't dress up that nice to go to church" Ha ha ha.

Attachments

• Brushpainting.jpg
    Brushpainting.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 177

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I wonder if he might be a chauffeur or taxicab driver -- breeches and puttees such as he's wearing were a common uniform for such drivers at the time. He's probably taken off his jacket and cap to avoid paint spatters.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
The car is too big and expensive for a taxi but could be a chauffeur driven job. But a chauffeur would have overalls for working on his car. Notice also the wristwatch, an expensive accessory at that time, favored by trend setters and military men. Most men had a pocket watch, you saw very few wrist watches in 1920.

I notice the headlights have been removed as if for better access. The headlights were probably polished brass and not to be painted.

The photo doesn't make sense to me unless it was posed or staged but for what reason? Nevertheless, I thought it was amusing.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I remember in the mid 60s, when we lived in Tucson, Arizona, the neighbor had a Model A he repainted black with a brush. Every morning, he would go out to the garage and brush on a coat, then, in the evening, he would sand it down. This went on for at least 20 or more days, then he hand polished it. I still maintain, it was the shiniest paint job I have ever seen!

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
From 1911 to 1928 Renault made a big luxury car called the 40 CV with a 9 liter six cylinder engine. Yes that is a 549 cubic inch engine. The US agent was in New York City, they sold a few every year and they were seen in New York and surrounding areas. They were in a class with such imported luxury cars as Rolls Royce, Minerva and Mercedes Benz.

Some rich people preferred imported cars. Before WW1 European luxury cars were the best, but after the war such American makes as Pierce Arrow, Locomobile, Packard and Cunningham brought out cars that were as good or better. The imports still had their fans, especially around New York. It was the depression in the thirties that finally killed them off.

In this case, the owner seems to be a New York dude. Here is the way Renault advertised the model, which may give some idea of the clientele they were appealing to.

The car in the picture appears to be a prewar model (none were exported from 1915 to 1918). So it would be from 6 to 9 years old when the picture was taken.

Attachments

• tumblr_mtp9eiJ4IW1rgp85io1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mtp9eiJ4IW1rgp85io1_500.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Another thing that caught my eye was the license number, T54. Weren't low numbers assigned to political big shots and their party supporters?

GE-Man

New in Town
The wristwatch suggests that this man fought in europe WWI.
Wristwatches became popular in military at those times. Before WWI, wristwatches did exist, but they were considered unmanly. Wristwatches were for ladys and the wristband wasnt leather - it was gold or silver or something like that.

fashion frank

One Too Many
Shorpy

Had to share this pic of a dude in knee pants, white shirt, ascot and gloves painting his car. The car appears to be a Renault, and the license plate says it was taken in 1920 in New York state.

On the site I swiped it from, one guy commented " I don't dress up that nice to go to church" Ha ha ha.

I think that I saw that photo on Shorpy.
The wristwatch as stated is a give away to World War I because they all needed to "set" their time exactly so as to go "over the top " all at the same time .
Very interesting and thanks for sharing !

All the Best ,fFshion Frank

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21