Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE Dress - Butterick 4790

Josephine

One Too Many
Many of us have made/are making Butterick 4790; this is the place to show off your creation!

Here's mine:

Butterick4790A.gif
Butterick4790B.gif

My experience:

My top is a size bigger than my hips and waist so I used the bigger size on the top front (Piece 2). Since I'm large chested, deeper scoops look better on me than shallow ones, so I cut the neck down, but kept the shoulders the same size.

However, when I tried it on, the shoulders were set too far apart and slid down, showing my bra straps. I finally made a dart that went from the end of the bust dart up, pulling the shoulders in. Unfortunately they came out lopsided, but I'm telling everyone the neck is asymmetrical. Yeah. :D

For my next version I think I will use the larger size for the bust on Piece 2, but use the smaller size for the neck, or even not cut out the neck at all until I put the dress together and then inch by inch cut out a neck I like. Maybe a square neck? Perhaps if the back neck was higher the shoulders wouldn't want to fall... I don't care for the way my bosom looks so expansive (and not in a good way) in this version.

I have to admit that I thought this dress was rather casual, but I wore it with the low heels seen in the pics to the elementary school's Ice Cream Social and got a few compliments on it, and I felt kind of dressed up. I guess a dress with a poofy skirt is dressy in this day and age. :)

My next one will either be dark green with white polka dots or a black with cherries on it. I'm debating on using white for the front of the polka dot dress. Is there anyone else doing a two tone version?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Jo it looks great and so do you! You crack me up.
So how low is the back neckline?

There are several versions I've seen in two tone. Many of them in the link I posted in the other thread. This is what I can't decide on on as well. Will I look skinnier with the darker color in the middle or on the outside, lol!

PS, I like your jute jug!
Nikki

dashiell

One of the Regulars
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Oh, yay, THE dress! How exciting to see it finished! I like the fabric, and I think it looks smashing. A two-tone would look great! I vote for the green and white, if it counts at all.

I imagine, ohairas, that the maximum slimming effect would be achieved with the darker color on the outside (making up the majority of the silhouette). Now, since you don't need any slimming, I say go for whichever configuration strikes your fancy!

Josephine

One Too Many
Thanks, all! :) I'm not sure off the top of my head how low the neck is in the back, but I think the link in the first post has a 3/4 picture of the back.

My father got the jute jug when we were stationed overseas, I don't know where though. Philippines, probably. My brother has a more graceful one but I didn't see it the last time I was over. My SIL better not have thrown it out... :rage:

I think I will try the white insert with the polka dots. Another question. Dolly's will make you a purse of the material from your dress. I can't decide if having one like that is smart looking or cheesy. :D

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Josephine, did you have arm gaping with this dress? I know Goldwyn Girl did and recommended cutting the arms higher. Unfortunately, I've already cut out my pieces, so unless I buy more fabric, I won't be able to do that. Imoldfashioned didn't have any arm gaping problems.

To answer the neckline question, when made to specs, the back neckline falls 5" below the nape of the neck.

dashiell

One of the Regulars
Josephine said:
Thanks, all! :) I'm not sure off the top of my head how low the neck is in the back, but I think the link in the first post has a 3/4 picture of the back.

My father got the jute jug when we were stationed overseas, I don't know where though. Philippines, probably. My brother has a more graceful one but I didn't see it the last time I was over. My SIL better not have thrown it out... :rage:

I think I will try the white insert with the polka dots. Another question. Dolly's will make you a purse of the material from your dress. I can't decide if having one like that is smart looking or cheesy. :D

Hopefully your sister-in-law knows better!

Having the matching bag would be splendid! I think it would work quite well with the polka dots, though it might not work with every fabric out there.

Josephine

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Josephine, did you have arm gaping with this dress?

I did somewhat, but not enough to worry me and I wasn't reaching etc for things so it wasn't too bad. I had thought of putting a snap where the front and back come together below the arm, I still might do that.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
It looks great! I can't wait to do mine now, though a bit worried about the will-they-wont-they gaping armholes

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Josephine said:
Is there anyone else doing a two tone version?

Josephine, you look so great in your dress! I know what you mean about feeling dressed up in this one--maybe it's hardwired in girls that nipped waist + full skirt = dressy?

I'm making a two toned version. I took these quick shots to see if I should put seam binding along the hem and I'm leaning towards doing so (yes, I am a glutton for punishment!).

pattern.jpg

The patterned fabric is an Aunt Grace polka dot quilting cotton I bought quite awhile ago

i4790.jpg

The front

4790back.jpg

The back.

When I have the dress on the back neckline doesn't dip this low. Also, this is one of those dresses that looks so much better on a person than on a hanger--I've thought that all through the construction process.

Looking at these shots I realized that this dress is a pretty good match in color and era for the travelling hat, so I think I know what I'll be wearing in those pictures--yay!

Hope these are helpful, I'll post pictures of me in the finished dress once I get it hemmed.

Josephine

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
I'm making a two toned version. I took these quick shots to see if I should put seam binding along the hem and I'm leaning towards doing so (yes, I am a glutton for punishment!).

Binding the hem! You are a glutton for punishment, aren't you? :D Pinning the binding was soooooooooooooo boring... And then I would forget to put the narrow side on the right side of the fabric. heh

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Josephine said:
Binding the hem! You are a glutton for punishment, aren't you?

Pity me, Josephine, pity me! ;)

One package of seam binding didn't even make it halfway around the hem--so it must be over 6 yards around. Eek!

Oh, and putting some of the seam binding on narrow side out--it's sad how often I do that--you'd think we'd learn!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
What a great thread!

I started mine in August and got pretty far. It's more of a Hawaiin theme for the recent tikioasis, but I still have to finish the front. Wish me luck!

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Miss Dottie said:
What a great thread!

I started mine in August and got pretty far. It's more of a Hawaiin theme for the recent tikioasis, but I still have to finish the front. Wish me luck!

ooh, tiki..I bet that is great...

(edit after 5 mins) I just looked at the fabrics on your blog and they are AMAZING! wow! It looks great already but I can't wait to see you modelling the finished product :D

oh my gosh, the fabrics and baby booties too!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk