Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Drive-In isn't as dead as once thought

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, that's cool! But over here, they can't wait to tear them down! They become swap meets and places where gangbangers hang out. So, it's not a place to take your family any more. Most of the great drive-in's have been taken down. :cry:

Let's hope it catches on over here! Before they take all the old ones down.

Root.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Fortunately, they never did really die out over here. Almost all of the drive in's (including the one I grew up going to in the 50's and 60's) have been refurbished, and occasionally have cruise ins with classic cars, as well as hotrods, and continue to show current movies. It's just refreshing to see a brand new one under construction, and I mean in a BIG way. They've already built a HUGE two story concessions building that they'll also project to the 3 huge screens from, which are also already standing and ready for business. Graders were flying around all last week, and I saw the surveyed areas for each parking location post. Good thing too, as my Plymouth's radio doesn't work. If I had to depend on the sound being conveyed from the booth to me by radio, I guess I'd have to learn how to read lips!;) Regards. Michaelson

Wild Root

Gone Home
Right on! I wish something would happen like that over here. I think it could be a good thing for every one. Well, take a look at this photo I found. Cool old Drive in.

Root.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Sure is. Has the same 'outline' as my P20! Just as an 'aside', they have closed several drive-ins in Tennessee (as the list proves on the website), and I was able to pick up one of the speakers from the last drive-in closed in Memphis at an antique store this summer. I'm trying to figure out how to get inside the dang thing to I can re-wire it to play my CD player though and hang it in the Plymouth for some good old 'Doo Wap' while cruising. Regards. Michaelson

Dalexs

Practically Family
I know back where my folks live, on Cape Cod, there is a drive in that opens for the summer and is still packed every night of the week. I love going there when I visit. Especially because they still run those old snack bar ads! classics!

They even give you the choice of the old window speakers or you can use your radio.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Well, just to update, the Montana drive-in opened semi-officially this past weekend. I found out about it literally at the last minute and had something else planned that evening, but my eldest daughter went, and she said that but for a couple lens switch problems, it was a LOT of fun. They've got two of the 3 screens up and running, and the third due to be ready in a week or so. They haven't made any big official opening yet, as they still have the exits to finish, so everyone is using the same road to enter AND exit...if they got slammed, the traffic jam would be terrible. So, they're up and running! Regards. Michaelson

Jake

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by Wild Root
Right on! I wish something would happen like that over here. I think it could be a good thing for every one. Well, take a look at this photo I found. Cool old Drive in.

Root.
Root, That drive-in was located in Menonomie Falls, WI less than 10 miles from where I grew up. I remember going there as a kid. Thanks for the picture.....Jake

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
I miss the drive-ins. :( When I was a kid, we used to pack up the '69 Ford wagon with sodas and grocery bags of popcorn. The back seat was always full of "popcornivores". :eek: Our drive-ins even had playgrounds under the screen. Am I dating myself?

Great link, Michaelson. I still like the old consession adds.

Looks like all the drive-ins I grew up in are closed. :cry:

Belknap Drive-in, Fort Worth, TX
Cherry Lane Twin Drive-in, Fort Worth, TX
Cowtown Drive-in, Fort Worth, TX
Meadowbrook Drive-in, Fort Worth, TX
Southside Twin Drive-in, Fort Worth, TX

Tom

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
"Hey, quit stepping on the brake pedal!"

Most of the drive in 's in the Bay Area are long gone. Hilltop drive in is now Hilltop mall with major retailers and housing. The San Pablo drive in is now a major supermarket. The math is simple: real estate prices have literally caused the extinction of the drive in.

We have one nearby, by the local ariport and industrial section. The Solano drive in. It shows movies on weekends, and is flea market during the days.

Strider

One of the Regulars
Here (San Diego, CA), we have a few drive-ins that get just as much traffic, if not more than, the local multi-plex movie theatres. I much prefer them to multi-plex theatres, because in the comfort of a vehicle, you can't be disturbed by someone talking, or adding their own commentary to the movie as it's playing. I just hope the drive-in phenomenon would pick up in popularity.

I think the world would be a better place if every city had a few drive-ins in them.:D

Regards,

Strider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran