Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, we have all been seen with our hats on and called things like Indy and gangster but I had the absolute stupidest comment today. I was outm getting lunch and some oaf said I looked like Columbo with my 2 1/4" brim Milan on. This was with a Hawaiian shirt and khakis! I could have understood Carl Kolchak (Darin McGavin) in the Nightstalker
th-9749_0012.jpg

but Columbo?! He didn't even wear a a hat! :rage: :eusa_doh: What a nitwit!
What was your dumbest comment ever heard? :D

Regards,

J

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Fascinating how the human brain works, in this case associations, icons, archetypes and the like. The unconscious chain might have been:
hat -> detective -> Columbo, or
hawaii shirt -> Hawaii Five-O -> TV detectives -> Columbo.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That is a stupid comment. But, Columbo did wear a hat, a ruffled stingy brim fedora that he carried more than he wore.

I get Elliot Ness a lot, and I consider it a high compliment.

For stupid comments, anytime some one under 25 says that I am "pimping" my hat, I really feel sorry for their lack of education and the money they wasted at one of Boston's venerable institutions. ;)

Feraud

Bartender
I have a good one.
A few years ago I was out and about in NYC with my wife and son. I was not dressed up, probably wearing pants and a button down shirt. I do not remember exactly what hat I was wearing but think it was a Homburg.
A woman walks up to us and asks me, "excuse me, are you religious?"
Assuming she has a rational reason for asking, I politely said no and waited for her to explain her statement and continue the conversation. She walks away...
What we found hilarious about this person was not only her comment but the fact that she did not explain why she walked up to a stranger to ask about his faith. Had I said yes would things have gone differently? Would she have unburdened her soul to my family and I? Crazy New Yorkers...

Powerhouse

One of the Regulars
Anyone...

ever get this one....

you look like my father/Grandfather.

Just because of my clothing or hat. I sometimes want to reply with... he should of worn protection. lol

I just love it when my clothing is referred to as a COSTUME!!!! ~!@#~!@#~!@#$:rage: :rage: lol

havershaw

Practically Family
Weirdly, when I was in England recently (wearing my three-piece tweed 30s suit seen in other threads and my brown Borsalino fedora), I heard "Sherlock Holmes" - more than once, and more than a couple of times. Now, to be fair, these were teenagers...but I got it at least five times during my travels - though I think I only got it with the tweed suit on.
I get "father" and "grandfather" constantly. I kind of dig that, actually.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
havershaw said:
I get "father" and "grandfather" constantly. I kind of dig that, actually.

I sometimes get "You look like my grandfather", and the "my" adds to the certain warmth the phrase is pronounced with.

epic610

One of the Regulars
Funny, I have had mostly good experiences...

when wearing a hat. when i wore my homburg into my accountant's office to pick up my taxes, he announced to everyone that there was "Royalty" in the house.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
yesterday i wore my montichristi to the barbershop...the gentlemen before me, we have known each other for a long time. He is a very succu=essgul business man. I noticed that he had a straw hat on....when he went to pick his hat off the rack, i told him to make sure to get the right one...

then he noticed it and said what a fine hat...we chatted a minute about hats/skin cancer and such, then he said ..put me on your mailing list and tell me how to get one of those....

nicest compliment to date !!!

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Why is it that a co worker or stranger would even make it a topic of conversation? In other words, "Why do you care what I wear?!"

Are people just making conversation?
Are they jealous that they dont have the nerve to wear something that they actually like?
Could they really be that confused by it?
It's really kind of puzzling to me.

I did have a young girl (under 20) say to me "That's a fly hat!"

Some people are interested in such things and other are happy as long as they have their Nine Inch Nails concert T. Or better yet, my favorite, a Ramones shirt on a 12 yr old. "Hey kid, name me one song they played." Ha

My wife and I were just discussing the fact that with all the primping young men do these days, it cant be long before it leads to nicer clothes. Even if they are not vintage. (Think Puffy Combs)

Okay, I'm done.

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
About a week ago, I went to one of the local colleges to take the San Diego Sheriff's POST exam.

I put on my favorite double breasted suit, grabbed my hat, and walked out the door. When I arrived, there was only one other person - out of 100+ - who was wearing a suit. Of course, I was the only guy with a fedora.

As we sat down to take the test, we were instructed to remove our hats. I missed that instruction but the black guy behind me was kind enough to inform the other guy that "the pimp needed to take his hat off". Pimp? Me? We're at the campus to take the Police Exam, not the darn dance club! I swear. Some people just can't leave their street BS where it belongs: On the streets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch