Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbing Down of America - Here's Why

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've been grumbling about this for years. I used the word "concatenation" in a conversation the other day in a room full of Modern College Graduates and they looked at me like I had three heads. We're about three generations away from a language made up entirely of "ooks" and "eeks."

Last edited:
The decline began when phonics was replaced in schools by Whole Language, a system which was originally designed to teach illiterates how to recognize danger and warning signs. Sometimes I can't help but wonder if all this is by accident or design.

Last edited:

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This is a really interesting article.

I takes effort to build your vocabulary. I personally like to re-look up words I may 'think' I know the meaning of and see if the social meaning I have associated with that word(s) is in fact it's real meaning. Too often I'm a bit skewed, so I try and recalibrate my use of the word.

I look up words everyday because I want a gargantuan vocabulary! Makes me fell brainy and whatnot. It's also ideal when you want to get nuanced about descriptions. Sometimes, great isn't what you mean when you eat a peanut butter cookie. An ideal expression would be transcendent. :)

Ha! Look, I'm chunking!

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
Limited Vocabulary

People frequently use words interchageably, as if they have the same meaning.
For example, the words sarcasm and facetious.
Both are very different in use and intent.
Yet you hear people use the one, when the other word is clearly being communicated.

Last edited:

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I gave the households of my stepson and my daughter each a Word-A-Day calendar with the advice (and hope) that they make learning each new word a daily fun event for their children. I need to follow up to find out if they have.

My daughter's youngest (whom we had custody of for about a year and a half so I take partial credit) recently took second place in a spelling bee at her school. All grades (first through fifth) competed together. I was pleased. :)

Cheers,
Tom

sal

One of the Regulars
I have seen CV's / resumes sent to me with the cover letter written with "texting" language.
My profession requires a bachelors degree for employment. How sad is that?

fashion frank

One Too Many
One of my favorite things to do as a little kid was to read the dictionary -- every other book you could ever want to read was in there. All you had to do was routine the words.

I hear you, my old man bought us a huge one,bigger than our family bible and we were always looking up a word or other.
That was one of the best things that the old man ever did for us kids was buying that dictionary .

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Foxer55

A-List Customer
Is anyone familair with the episode a few years ago in Washington, DC, where a finance guy remarked that part of the city budget was "niggardly." Well...! Imagine the hue and cry throughout Washington when the uneducated assumed this to be a slur on their heritage and the news media burned the print pages with this awful discrimination by "that" guy. I admit, that here in DC it may have been a poor choice of words, nevertheless, anyone with a mild education should have understood the intent of the comment. But, oh no, "that" guy was pilloried and the commotion didn't die down for several weeks. All over one word.

fashion frank

One Too Many
Is anyone familair with the episode a few years ago in Washington, DC, where a finance guy remarked that part of the city budget was "niggardly." Well...! Imagine the hue and cry throughout Washington when the uneducated assumed this to be a slur on their heritage and the news media burned the print pages with this awful discrimination by "that" guy. I admit, that here in DC it may have been a poor choice of words, nevertheless, anyone with a mild education should have understood the intent of the comment. But, oh no, "that" guy was pilloried and the commotion didn't die down for several weeks. All over one word.

I do in fact remember that and as you stated "poor choice of words" but your correct it was the intent of the comment ,
but lost on the great unwashed masses ?

CharleneC

Familiar Face
I do in fact remember that and as you stated "poor choice of words" but your correct it was the intent of the comment ,
but lost on the great unwashed masses ?

It is ironic that in a thread about the lexical paucity of Americans, in which a poster assumes superiority to the "unwashed masses," that same poster does not know the difference between "your" and "you're".

If one is going to show opprobrium towards people who do not know the meaning of a word, please make sure the words used to express that sentiment are the correct words.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto