Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE EAGLE HAS LANDED! Aero Stockman Review

bobjones

A-List Customer
YES!!! The jacket is here, and the master craftsmen and artisans at Aero Scotland have created a masterpiece.

At 8:30 am EST 3/29/08, my slightly customized brown FQHH Stockman arrived via USPS and after a duty of $62.00, the box was handed off to me. The only modifications were a cotton lining instead of the wool, a 31" length (shortened by 1 inch from the standard), roll-over stitching at all points, and the addition of an inside pocket.

I must say the jacket is beautiful and the fit superb - Aero absolutely nailed it. Sleeve length, jacket length, overall roominess when closed, all perfect. I had measured myself, and Will and the team made a coat better fitted than I could have by my eye.

The horsehide is thick and stiff, and creaks a bit when moving, and if you enjoy the odor of a new leather jacket, the aroma could fill a postgame lockeroom its that strong and wonderful.

The coat is much lighter than I feared a horsehide FQHH would be, and the darker shade of the brown is gorgeous. I had a cowhide "Harrington-style" mall jacket before, and it was much heavier than the Aero - this practically feels like a wool coat it seems so light in comparison. I also was concerned the brown would be too light, but its dark enough to be attractive to my eye, but light enough to show its shadings and developing patina.

One thing about FQHH, if you desire the perfect, smooth look of a mall leather jacket with no blemishes whatsoever, do not buy FQHH! There are blemishes and scratches which tell the story of the horse' life who wore this coat before he handed it off to me, and they only add to the texture and overall "look" and personality of the coat.

The lining and stitching are world class, and clearly the person crafting (not sewing or building - crafting) put alot of effort and feeling into it. The only regrets are of my own making: not asking for the front patch pockets to be internally lined, not requesting a vent in the back (both of which might not be "vintage" style, but would serve aesthetic purposes), and that I cannot order another until next year. Damn wife won't allow it!

I must say all in all I was VERY fearful of ordering a custom coat from 3,000 miles away, from people whom I had never met, in a style that was unique to my eyes, but Aero exceeded my expectations tremendously. Will and Amanda and the team did an incredible job, were exceedingly pleasant and helpful to deal with (Mark Moye also helped out as is a great guy), and I would HIGHLY recommend Aero Leather products to all those seeking a well-made, life-investment leather jacket.

I will post pictures as soon as I can find my digital camera.

bobjones

A-List Customer

James Miller

One of the Regulars
Sharp Real Sharp.

That is a great looking coat. I know your a happy camper. Don't you just love the way they can stand up on there own.

Now the fun begins. Now you get to tame it. Enjoy...

Rufus

Practically Family
Great Jacket, Bob... I'm still kicking myself for going with Cordovan, not brown!

Look forward to seeing some pics when it's broken in.

Aero hides are beautiful, they go buttery soft after a few months of regular wear, and develop the most stunning patina.

Enjoy!!

Rufus

Graemsay

Practically Family
Looks good Bob, and will look even better with a bit of wear on it.

Rufus, I've just ordered a jacket in cordovan, and now you're making me get cold feet. :)

bobjones

A-List Customer
James/Rufus/Graems, thanks so much for your compliments, I have been walking the streets of Manhattan yesterday and today and many "lay people's" heads have turned - and it wasn't b/c of my new haircut, plus 2 people complimented me in the street on the coat.

Rufus, I studied the samples Will sent, which cover each and every type of hide they offer and the cordovan is VERY close to the brown. The only time you can see the difference is in direct sunlight, where the slight reddish tint of the cordovan is distingishable from the more browner tint of the regular brown. Even the vintage brown, regular brown, vintage cordovan, and regular cordovan colors are barely discernible from each other.

I realized another item I should have modified, make sure that you have a piece of leather added onto the collar on which to hang the jacket on a hook in a restaurant, for example. For the next one...

bobjones

A-List Customer
Here are some shots wearing the Masterpiece.

I was wearing only a t-shirt, but even in sweatpants in my opinion the fit is superlative. When it first arrived I put it through the full battery of clothing layering options it will face, t-shirt only, then added a heavy twill button down on top, then a heavy, thick wool sweater, and never did it feel tight or uncomfortable with all that on when I turned or bent down.

The fact that the front and back are flat with minimal ripples, along with the ability to turn and move easily regardless of layer underneath is a sign that the artisan/maker paid close attention to my measurements. It doesn't hurt to be honest, that I am for the most part, a stock 44 Regular, but the jacket and sleeve were dead on.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll104/bobjones_aero/100_1642.jpg?t=1206927772
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll104/bobjones_aero/100_1641.jpg?t=1206927792
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll104/bobjones_aero/100_1640.jpg?t=1206927812
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll104/bobjones_aero/100_1639.jpg?t=1206927846
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll104/bobjones_aero/100_1637.jpg?t=1206927884
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll104/bobjones_aero/100_1638.jpg?t=1206927919

Some of the pictures were taken with the jacket buttoned up, and some with it open. The one from the back I am leaning a bit, and should have stood up straight as the coat looks off kilter, but I measured the coat and not only did they build it exactly to spec, but everything is perfectly even - both sleeves EXACTLY 26", etc. It is a work of art that I might leave to the Louvre when I am gone...:D

I have noticed that it does show surface rubbing easily, which is probably intentional so as to more rapidly "age" the facing of the coat, so if you prefer a very neat, unblemished appearance, then the brown FQHH might not be for you. In "fondling" (yes, that's the most appropriate description) the various samples, the black didn't show the creasing at all, but the FQHH cordovan did.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
It's superb, Bob, and very similar to what I want. Did you ask to have one button less? It appears to have three buttons, rather than the four advertised for the Stockman. It looks like a slimmer version of the Rallye, which indeed I have been looking for. May I ask your height?

SJ

bobjones

A-List Customer
Sir Jacket said:
It's superb, Bob, and very similar to what I want. Did you ask to have one button less? It appears to have three buttons, rather than the four advertised for the Stockman. It looks like a slimmer version of the Rallye, which indeed I have been looking for. May I ask your height?

SJ

The fourth button is not visible as its behind the folded collar, but its there. It is more of a stylistic button, as its smaller than the other 3 below it. The thinking behind it I believe is that if its cold enough to want to close the top, you can do so, but you are probably better off sticking a scarf in there as the picture shows on the main Aero webpage.

It is definitely slimmer than either the Rallye or Cheyenne, as there are pictures of those jackets on the Aero page in the Steer Hide section that are either of very large people (like 54 and up or so), or they just run huge. I was afraid the jacket would fit like those, but it doesn't. Will is open about mixing and matching the pockets, hand-warmer pockets, etc from one style to the other.

The Stockman is a slimmer Veste De Rallye with patch front pockets instead of the internal ones, but both have the pocket flaps, which don't have snaps. The collar looks the same as well.

My measurements: 5' 10 1/2", 185 lbs - am pretty much a stock 44 Regular for most major brands like Raplh Lauren, Barbour, etc., who make their product to the 44 standard sizing. The only problem is my waist which is unfortunately, about 42". Even still, the jacket sizing left me plenty of room so as not to have to avoid any of my favorite foods...;)

If you want I can PM you with the specs I sent Will to create the jacket.

bobjones

A-List Customer
jamespibworth@n said:
Great fit, great jacket, enjoy it.

It will just get better and better.

:eusa_clap

...give it about 2 - 3 months until I start thinking of my next one...perhaps a modified Californian in mid-weight HH for the warmer months...:D

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Please do, Bob, if I can work out PMing. I am glad I looked again and discovered the Stockman. I had been put off getting another Veste de Rallye because of the, for me, overly wide cut. My increasingly extravagant thinking now is that I will get a shorter cut now and a modified Stockman for the winter (in England). All I have to do is to decide between a Highwayman and a halfbelt.

SJ

bobjones

A-List Customer
Sir Jacket said:
Please do, Bob, if I can work out PMing. I am glad I looked again and discovered the Stockman. I had been put off getting another Veste de Rallye because of the, for me, overly wide cut. My increasingly extravagant thinking now is that I will get a shorter cut now and a modified Stockman for the winter (in England). All I have to do is to decide between a Highwayman and a halfbelt.

SJ

It seems PM'ing may be disabled on this forum. Anyway, here is the actual email sent to the artisans at Aero Leather:

Hi Will. I summarized everything in this email, so that you have a single piece of paper to hand to the Aero team. Based upon our discussion, the 44R Stockman is the most suitable choice, and as for the details, please:

1) use the "regular" brown front quarter heavy horsehide
2) use a cotton "grant" tartan plaid lining
3) do NOT include stormcuffs in the sleeves
4) include the "roll-over" stitching throughout
5) include an inside pocket over the right breast, cotton lined with leather trim if possible
6) ideal coat length would be about 31" from neck seam to bottom edge in back

The less boxy, slimmer fit of the Stockman works better for me, and if you think slimming the lower portion of the jacket to maintain a better fit would make sense based upon my personal measurements, I leave that up to you.

My measurements:

- 5' 10 1/2" height
- weight 185 lbs.
- 42" waist over naval
- 43" chest
- I wear a 44R suit off the rack and a 16 1/2" x 34" Brooks Brothers shirt

So that was what I sent over, and I got the Mona Lisa in response ;)

By the way, which hide and color did your Veste come in? It seems to be fuller than the Stockman, but slimmer than a Cheyenne, could be wrong though. It's also a very attractive jacket, and I was torn between the two for some time. I went with the Stockman as I plan to get another leather jacket, something very lightweight to wear in warmer months.

Though the Stockman with the cotton lining is pretty light, I should add, and makes a perfect jacket for layering underneath. I guess the only type of really winter-ready leather jacket would be a shearling, perhaps? But I get warm easily and might be uncomfortable with the bulkiness of a shearling, so that probably won't be a good choice for me.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
bobjones said:
It seems PM'ing may be disabled on this forum.
I don't think it can be turned off on a per-forum basis.
You must post a certain number of postings before you
can use the PM feature. As of this moment, Sir Jacket only
has 9. I believe he has to post at least 15 in order to use PM.
The number may be in the FAQ.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Thanks, Bob. Very comprehensive instructions. Your thinking is similar to mine (except that London doesn't get as cold as NY in the winter). My first Aero was a Rallye. I think it was a size too big, which exacerbated its bagginess. I thought to myself that Aero needed a slimmer Aero, which is what the Stockman is; I'd be happy with it at about Rallye length. How is your Stockman with just a t-shirt underneath? Not too baggy?

I have given myself until today to decide between the halfbelt and the Highwayman for the warmer months coat, but I can't decide. This is agony!

SJ

bobjones

A-List Customer
Sir Jacket said:
Thanks, Bob. Very comprehensive instructions. Your thinking is similar to mine (except that London doesn't get as cold as NY in the winter). My first Aero was a Rallye. I think it was a size too big, which exacerbated its bagginess. I thought to myself that Aero needed a slimmer Aero, which is what the Stockman is; I'd be happy with it at about Rallye length. How is your Stockman with just a t-shirt underneath? Not too baggy?

I have given myself until today to decide between the halfbelt and the Highwayman for the warmer months coat, but I can't decide. This is agony!

SJ

The good thing about the decision is that Aero's product is of such outstanding quality that it almost doesn't matter which style you get. Of course though, fit is of paramount importance so you might want to speak to Will if you still have the Rallye, perhaps he can take it in a bit?

The second set of pictures on the first page of this thread shows pictures of me wearing the Stockman wearing only a thin t-shirt. I would think the long half-belt might make more sense for a colder weather jacket, since it is longer than the Highwayman or regular half-belt.

Graemsay

Practically Family
Sir Jacket, the Highwayman and standard Halfbelt look pretty similar from a styling point of view on Mark Moye's website, so there's not much to choose from there.

I believe that the Highwayman is a looser and squarer cut, whereas the Halfbelt is more closely fitted and a bit longer. Apparently the Halfbelts are great for showing off an athletic V-shaped torso, so I'm guessing that they're not so good for someone who's built for comfort and not for speed. :)

So, if you prefer a looser cut get the Highwayman, and if you prefer a closer cut get the Halfbelt. If there are any details that you particularly like, then I'm sure that you could get them incorporated into a jacket.

And if you really can't decide, get the front and sleeves of a zip-sleeved Highwayman on a Halfbelt Deluxe. That would be quite a nice jacket. (And why didn't I think of that combination when I put my order in? :) )

Incidentally, the Californian and Cossack are pretty similar to the Halfbelt. Just in case you want more options.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Thanks all. As for me, for now, I have ordered the standard halfbelt, in cordovan. I will be sure to post pictures of it when – in a terribly dragging five weeks' time – it arrives.

A curious innovation from Aero (at least, I don't remember if from any of my past three jackets): I was asked whether I wanted a name tag. I said yes – it sounds discreet - although I later thought it would be a problem if I wanted to sell.

Sir Jacket

bobjones

A-List Customer
Sir Jacket said:
Thanks all. As for me, for now, I have ordered the standard halfbelt, in cordovan. I will be sure to post pictures of it when – in a terribly dragging five weeks' time – it arrives.

A curious innovation from Aero (at least, I don't remember if from any of my past three jackets): I was asked whether I wanted a name tag. I said yes – it sounds discreet - although I later thought it would be a problem if I wanted to sell.

Sir Jacket

If you look carefully at the picture below, you can see my name tag on the lower right:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll104/bobjones_aero/IMG_0010.jpg

Will offered to do so, and I said sure. I looked at it like getting a customized shirt with your initials listed on the sleeve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko