Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The elusive double-breasted reversible vest

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Hello all,
It's been a while for certain!
I've been conducting research about the reversible vests you would see as part of a "Collegiate" suit from the late 1930's.
Here's two pictures for reference.
1930sOxfordBagssuit.jpg

oxford_suit.jpg

I discussed this with Marc because he's actually seen and reviewed one in real life.
I managed to work with his information, take an existing traditional pattern, and modify the shapes/lines for the pointed double-breasted side.
I've also added a lapel which I created by tracing the outline of my late 30's suit lapels.
HOWEVER, I ran into a problem- basically the lapel can't fit onto the other side, because it has a bent edge out by the buttons. Hard to explain, I know.)
Does anyone HAVE one of these vests? Pictures of one? A pattern you made? Saw one and remember it??

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Does anyone HAVE one of these vests? Pictures of one? A pattern you made? Saw one and remember it??

You would be much better served if you pose your queries at this forum. My personal thought is that in order for a vest to function in that manner it would require that the lapels/collar not be pad stitched, thus producing an inferior collar/lapel.

Also, you might visit a bespoke tailor in your area to run the idea past them. Good luck!

dakotanorth

Practically Family
You would be much better served if you pose your queries at this forum. My personal thought is that in order for a vest to function in that manner it would require that the lapels/collar not be pad stitched, thus producing an inferior collar/lapel.

Also, you might visit a bespoke tailor in your area to run the idea past them. Good luck!

Excellent advice AC Lyles- I should check out that website for sure.
In the mean time, I made a paper mock-up of this vest. I think I have a working concept but I should check it over again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk