Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Elusive Portis ...

... elusive no more. I found one. And, Oh, boy what a hat!!! And a decent story.

I went into my friendly local antiques store (just around the corner from my house) and was in to ask the dame that runs it if i could borrow a mannequin to photograph some suits i'm selling. She obliged.

I saw a thin ribbon hat and found that it was a Resistol Open Road clone in great condition. Was about to buy it (even though it's a 7 1/8) when she said: "Oh, i just put out another man's hat" Where? i said? She pointed over, and i saw this hat box:

Box
PeachPortis2.jpg

Panorama (of sorts)
PeachPortis1.jpg

Lid detail: PORTIS Typically American
PeachPortis3.jpg

I would have bought it just for the box alone. But the hat proved to be amazingly unique.

bk

Oh yes, the hat.

PeachPortis7.jpg

PeachPortis8.jpg

PeachPortis9.jpg

The colour is accurate. No trickery with photoshop. This hat is a rich PEACH PINK. The bottom pic is the most accurate. I didn't even know they made hats in Peach Pink. And it's a size 7 and fits nicely on my noggin. 0.75" ribbon and thin silk edge binding, also has a wind string. The brim is 2 3/4" and the crown stands 4 1/2" in front and 5" on the sides. It seems to like being in a centre dent bash, like most of my 30s hats ... And it's been well stored. So very little damage, a little dusty on the underside of the brim.

Chaps, if you can't find good hats cheaply on the coasts any more, come to the midwest. This place is brimming (he he) with 'em.

bk

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The only gripe: peach pink, otherwise a terrific find and it reminds me of one of those stories like the guy who finds the '64 Mustang in the garage of an old lady who only drove it one day a week and figures $500 is a reasonable price for a 42 year old car, and she's glad to get rid of it, needs the space.

dean

Feraud said:
Gripe? That is a plus to me!! We see plenty of the browns and grays but something like this is wonderful.
Congrats Baron Kurtz, wear that hat well.

My sentiments exactly! Wow! Portis was a great hat company too bad they went the way of the Dodo. I always said they were great if you can find them in your size. You cheated---your head size is easier to find then mine. :eusa_doh: :p
Great find with the original box. :eusa_clap

Regards,

J

deanglen

Baron, please forgive my crass lack of sophistication in looking askance at the color of the hat, it was a petty objection from one whose tastes in hats is admittedly pedestrian. I withdraw the critique and offer simply an approval of a great vintage find. My objection to the color was not a rejection of the hat as a fine hat, but I initially felt the color would limit the wearing of it with one's wardrobe; the grey and brown hats have a greater flexibility. I should have been ckearer on that point.

dean

DOUGLAS

Damn, Some people have all the luck. That is a truly superb Portis BK. I love mine but man, did you find the hat !!!! Congrats, a great find. Did you buy the Resistol Too?

J.B.

Practically Family
Man, that color is Slick -- with a capital Wah-Heu!!

...I'd put on a ol' '50's black Nat Nast bowling shirt -- or a repro :p -- and flop that Portis on my noggin, then strut on down the boulevard singin' "When It's Cherry-Pickin' Time In Apple Valley, We'll Be A PEACH of a Pair...

...Blues!"

Oh Yeah!
emogrinyespe7.gif

canucklehead

New in Town
Wow. I'm assuming that a Portis is an excellent find in and of itself, and the peach colour just adds to the "Woo-hoo!" factor.

Peach. Who'da thunk?

I agree that it's great to find something other than the standard brown/grey. Kudos on an awesome find. I've definitely got to get down to the vintage shops 'round here to see what I can scare up.

-Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112