Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Elvis" comments ?

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
It doesn't happen very often, but enough to make me wonder why. Some people , when seeing me for the first time, say that I look like Elvis. Some say it as a derogatory remark. I don't think I look like him at all. Do any of you get similar comments?

Chad

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I've said it before but I'll say it again- people at large are stupid and just have to say 'something'- they just have a need to and it's whatever vague crap they can drag up. Once, I was travelling home from London to the suburbs by train at around midnight- the train was packed with drunken slobs and then out of the blue, apparently spurred on by my silent yet slick hair, a chorus of 'Viva Las Vegas' broke out... nowhere to run on a train 10 minutes between stations...
That was the worst I've had...

And when you wear a hat it's 'Indy!'
Get used to it!
B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Bungalow Bob-

That's a dog Bob- the dog from Jump St.

Hey Scot- American Bungalow!
my brother wrote a book about Bungalows in NZ, he's an Architect/arch. Historian;
'The Bungalow in New Zealand'- NZ ones are based on the Californian style- started in the '20s over there... wooden weatherboards, cedar shingled bay windows and leadlight windows, corrugated iron roofs.
Thought you might like that fact-

B
T

D

Deleted member 259

No one's ever called me Elvis, But my boyfriend and I get Bonnie & Clyde a lot, and someone called him Lou Bega.

I think people just feel the need to identify us with someone (or something) familiar because we are out of the ordinary in comparison to the masses. Even if what is familiar to them is completely unrelated to us.
Make sense?

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
in High School wearing my Fedora (before hats got banned) I was kalled Godfather all the time......now adays I just get women 20+ years my senors hitting on me at the bars.....or the newest one was as myself and my two buddies (not vintage dressed) as we walked up to a bar....are you the bare naked ladies now I could be mstaken but I have never seen any of them in hats or nicer clothes....I laughed and made a few snide remarks about them not being nearly as famous as myself as we walked into the bar...the two girls we confused all night.....

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I get "Elvis" alot....no I look nothing like him, but I DO dress like a young Elvis sometimes. I take it as a compliment--unless of course it's said as an insult!
flat-top

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I've heard it all.

Indy, gangster, mafia, Al Capone, Eliot Ness, blah blah blah...about the only time it doesn't bother me is when I get called Bogie or someone just says 'nice suit', you look sharp, so forth.

A friend's mother called me Fred Astaire. I hugged her.

And no, Chad, you don't look like Elvis.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I have a good friend who I wanted to dress up as Elvis one Halloween. She was game to do it, could have died her hair, got some sideburns and some sort of funky suit and old guitar. Unfortunately she wears glasses and we could not figure out how to make her look right with the glasses in (can't wear contacts).

I told her I would not mind dressing up as Elvis myself. She is quite slim, and I am, well, not slim. My ornery friend suggested we both go as Elvis: she would be the young Elvis and I could get a white suit, cape, hugh belt and be the old Elvis.

I just deepened my voice and said, "Thank you very much." What else I said I can't repeat on the lounge.

karol

Elvis is a new one to me. I have heard just about every other one though. :p
Last Sunday at church, the priest said I looked dapper if that is any consolation. I could have well got the gangster one since I was in my 1952 blue on blue double breasted with white buck wing tips. That hat was in my hand at that point though. :p

Regards to all,

J

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
No Chad, I don't think you look like Elvis. It's probably just a reference to your slicked back hair and sideburns. Maybe you look at tad like Richard Grieco (the 21 Jump-Street comment of earlier), though. Both men were the object of affection of many women, so I wouldn't take it too harshly.
Were these people who made the comment watching your performance, or just out on the street? If it was an unsolicitated comment from a stranger out-of-the-blue, that's just odd.
I have sideburns down to my earlobes, and I've been told the Elvis thing, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany