Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The End of the Oak Room, Boston

subject101

One of the Regulars
Who can blame them? The oldsters who appreciate the Oak Room’s quaint atmosphere, food and service are aging, dying. Anthony Bourdain has flat-out called this kind of place obsolete, doomed. I suspect he’s right: even exalted, expensive Boston restaurants like L’Espalier and Menton don’t dare insist that their customers dress for dinner. The result is that you get to pay $200 to $300 a head for an extraordinary meal while seated next to patrons in jeans, ball caps, hoodies, and sweatpants.

Well, I guess the owner didn't reject any customer in his/her leopard panties as long as they are willing to drop 300 for dinner. :D

It happens all over the world, not only in Boston. These are the times we live in.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, Anthony Bourdain says it's "obsolete and doomed," so I guess the ultimate arbiter of gastronomic culture has spoken.

In a just world, Mr. Bourdain's liver would be eaten by a group of fatuous, self-satisfied, foul-mouthed ducks.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I fear for the other Oak Room and bar in the Plaza NY.
IIRC, their survival (along with the Palm Court) was written into the redevelopment agreement with the city. Still, they were allowed to freshen up the Bar just enough that it just doesn't look right anymore. They also messed with the lighting.

Before:

plaza_04.jpg

After:

l

Those low back chairs are not conducive to an extended stay.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
In case anyone is following this, the Oak Room is gone, gutted and soon to be a trendy nightspot. It's original furnishings that date back to the year the Titanic was launched are all gone.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
In case anyone is following this, the Oak Room is gone, gutted and soon to be a trendy nightspot. It's original furnishings that date back to the year the Titanic was launched are all gone.

Who ended up with them? Was there an auction?

There are still bits of the mahogany appointments from Luchow's in NYC floating around; it closed in the early 80's, after a hundred year run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21