Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Evolution From “Need” To “Want”

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In the beginning, most of us purchased jackets based on some notion of “need.” We had a good black leather jacket, but we had a “need” for a brown jacket. We had an A-2, but we had a “need” for a civilian jacket. We had a half-belt, but we had a “need” for a moto jacket. In all of these instances, the new jacket being contemplated was materially different from anything that we presently owned, such that we could legitimize a “need” for the new jacket based on a genuine gap in our existing jackets.

Many eventually reach a point where it becomes increasingly difficult to articulate a legitimate “need” for a new leather jacket. The distinctions, if any, between the contemplated new jacket and our existing jackets become more and more attenuated, such that we are essentially purchasing duplicates of existing jackets. Sure, there might be slight differences, but nothing sufficiently material to justify a genuine “need” for the new jacket. Nevertheless, we continue to craft imaginative distinctions to rationalize new purchases. My existing dark brown HH café racer has matching stitching, but the contemplated new dark brown HH café racer has contrasting stitching. My existing black steer half belt has a single point back yoke, but the contemplated new black steer half belt has a smooth curved yoke. The Waldes zipper is completely different from the Talon zipper. Etc. To be clear, I am not talking about buying a new jacket that you prefer over an existing jacket, and selling the existing jacket. Rather, I am addressing the addition of a new, nearly identical jacket, and retention of both.

Of course, some distinctions are genuine and meaningful for some, but not others. One person may consider the presence of zippers on hand warmer pockets a profound difference between two otherwise identical jackets, whereas someone else might consider that singular distinction irrelevant. The same holds true for different leathers – the exact same jacket in a different hide might be profoundly different for one person, by largely identical to someone else. In other words, the notion of when someone “needs” another jacket, as opposed to when someone is merely duplicating an existing jacket, is entirely subjective.

When “need” can no longer justify a purchase, the fallback is “want.” There is nothing wrong with purchasing a jacket in the complete absence of a “need,” and based solely on a “want.” In fact, I suspect that the majority of TFL member purchases are driven by wants rather than needs (mine certainly are). This is part and parcel of The TFL Effect: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-tfl-effect.94299/ .

Many here have abandoned all concept of “need,” and are motivated almost exclusively by wants. Others here retain some semblance of need, even as their assemblage of jackets reaches staggering proportions. And still others are spectacularly disciplined and continue to place great emphasis on need when contemplating new jacket purchases. Some institute a hard ceiling and/or apply the “one in, one out” philosophy, whereby they will not purchase a new jacket without selling an existing jacket. The spectrum of approaches is broad and diverse.

Where are you on the need/want spectrum? Does “need” even enter the equation? To what extent do you consider need? What differences between jackets are sufficiently material to justify a need? Have you abandoned need? Why? Are you primarily driven by wants? Do you have duplicate jackets? Why?

Benny Holiday

Another interesting thread topic from you, Supe.

Well, to be honest, living in Australia, I could do with three jackets, max, and one jumper: One leather jacket, one zip-up or button-up wool jacket, one hoodie/training jacket for sports, running etc. and one warm jumper for the middle of winter. That's all I'd ever need.

What i have, instead, thanks to my wanting them, are three leather jackets, an LVC red wool halfbelt, a vintage 1940s halfbelt gabardine work jacket, three zip-up gab sports jackets, two vintage-style cardigans, a red wool and cream leather varsity-style jacket, three jumpers and brown wool plaid zip-up work jacket that is my go-to jacket for immediate warmth. I feel I ought to finish all that with "and a partridge in a pear tree."

And my wants don't stop there. If I had the money, which I certainly don't, and the room, which I don't, I'd also order an Aero Bootlegger in two-tone brown with a D-pocket, a goatskin Thedi cross-zip, an AVI Leathers A-2 in seal brown, an Aero LHB with a Dustbowl two-pleat back, and an Aero Cropduster just because I dig the vertical chest zips. There, I've confessed it all.

My list is varied in the jackets' designs, I think, although overall I have a bit of an obsession with halfbelts (okay, a big obsession). Having two kids and a few favoured charities I support keeps me grounded, and much of my wardrobe is pretty cheap (those old-style cardigans were $20 a pop), but every so often I do let loose, and I can feel guilty afterwards. Remember that the value of the dollar here is just over 70 US cents and about 55 British pence, plus 10% VAT (called the goods and services tax here) so buying anything form overseas is VERY expensive and really a luxury for me.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Superflous for all the recent thoughtful threads. To reply, with jackets, for me, the 1st round is “need”. Need mid weight, need 1 purpose built for the bike etc. Everything after that is certainly want. I’ve experienced this with other pass times. Watches, 17 motorcycles. I’m guessing I’m not alone in saying that the thrill of the hunt for the perfect X is exciting and the returns always diminishing. Also, there is a bit of pay to play if you want to contribute to a site like this. Most of the more enjoyable posters have far more jackets than anyone needs.

steve u

A-List Customer
Superfluous, This topic is hitting a little to close to home. After receiving my once in a life time jacket in August ,I tried to convince my wife that I need another jacket already. Even though I sold off some (most) of my knife collection and have the cash to buy two or three more top tier jackets, She thought I'd lost my mind.
I've heard Her (memorized) speech on "wants and needs" many times. But now I'm afraid even if I can convince Her, the next jacket will be my last. And if I order one , what happens when the next greatest jacket appears next week , month, or year...I'm screwed. steve

Peacoat

Bartender
I have needed a bunch of leather jackets in the past, a well as a bunch of peacoats. After my wife pointed out that 15 peacoats were all that any man needed, I agreed. Then started leather jackets. One day she asked how many I had. I had no idea until I counted them and determined I had 15 of them. Same routine; no man needs more than 15 leather jackets. I thought about it awhile and agreed, especially since I have another 15 or 20 nice wool overcoats, flight jackets, field jackets, work jackets and a couple of really warm parkas for sitting in an NFL stadium on Sunday afternoons.

So now my needs equal my wants, especially since there is no place to put any other jackets, parkas or coats. What I have is what I have-no mas.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I “needed” to satisfy my want.
I spent most of my life putting want on hold while working, going to school and raising three children. Their needs and some of their wants were met with no regrets.
Now i don’t need anything, but i buy things i always wanted but didn’t need.
I didn’t need my first Cal Leather M/C but damn did i want it.
Now i have 4 Cal Leathers, exact same jacket, different ages, 1 brown and 3 black. It is nice to be able to compare changes with time.
So, i successfully accomplished my “need” to satisfy my want.
And then there’s the other...err stuff. Lol
Bowen

GHT

I'll Lock Up
If you read or post here, you left need a long time ago...
Absolutely spot on. Having a wardrobe full of jackets, or anything else for that matter, is addiction, convince yourself otherwise if you like. I'm not criticising, I'm as bad, why on earth do I need over 70 Aloha shirts?

Jejupe

Practically Family
Very few people, if any, could claim they absolutely "need" high end leather jackets. There are better or equal cheaper and more practical solutions for all real needs I can think of. In my mind one's imagined "need" for these things is a way of justifying to yourself and (in lesser extent) to others that you're going to satisfy your "want".

I personally have long passed that point of creating "needs" to justify anything and I'm honest with myself and others: I am satisfying my wants, simply because I can, and it brings me pleasure and I'm not embarrassed to admit it.

Jejupe

Practically Family
I “needed” to satisfy my want.
I spent most of my life putting want on hold while working, going to school and raising three children. Their needs and some of their wants were met with no regrets.
Now i don’t need anything, but i buy things i always wanted but didn’t need.

This feels familiar. I had to suppress most of my wants for long time because limited resources had to be directed to actual needs. Now that all real needs are taken care of for me and my close ones I feel free to satisfy my wants.

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
I felt and recognised the'need' for my first top-flight leather jacket to find out whether there was a material difference between it and other garments.There is.Everything after that has been a want.They do improve with wear,they do become more beautiful and meaningful to the owner.It's a 'want' that has to be indulged.

Salatape

New in Town
I told myself I'd buy the "perfect" jacket and leave it at that. Didn't last long as I already have a couple of new jackets in mind but to be honest I don't really care that I don't need them. It's almost like a hobby. Most people my age spend their money on car parts, computers parts or lots of money on clothes that go out of fashion in 6 months. Just so happens I like leather jackets.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I think the only leather jacket i have ever needed was my first one, my Schott 644. I was about to buy a motorcycle and needed some sort of leather jacket. Every single one after that was in the "want" category.

I have duplicated jackets, (a brown and a black bootlegger), i even have duplicated shoes to go with either black or brown one!
I am the kind of weirdo that would consider the same jacket with a different zipper different enough to own.
I love slight variations in design and pattern, i love the historical evolution of designs, the little subtle variations that only i can spot.
Deep down i am a collector, always have been, i started with cards, coins and stamps when i was a kid, and have collected things all my life one way or another. Whenever something interests me i start researching the different variations of it...

I also have a "need" to create and finish sets, which doesn't help anything! For example i would happily own a J-21, J-22, J-23 and J-24, just to have a "full set" and be able to compare the details of them. To me just having one of the four seems like a waist of an opportunity!

Jackets are the best collection, they are art/history that you can walk around in!

red devil

Interesting topic again! :)

For me it's clearly all about want. Technically I don't need any leather jacket, although having had one for fifteen years which I retired when I came here is pretty close. Replacing a jacket which you've worn for so long is not a need but easy enough to justify in the "I will really use it if I buy it" mind set.
I could have stopped there for an even longer period of time... but it wasn't enough. At first it's curiosity, always curious of the other side whether is another maker, hide, stule, etc. Then it develops into want, you already have a nice selection but always want more!

When it comes to having similar jackets, I try to diversify as much as possible, be it in style, colour, hide, etc.
I have some similar jackets, but none that could be mistaken for another one, pretty much every jacket I have so far is different for the other ones that it can be recognised. I wonder if this will remain that was as the number of my jackets expands. Will be fun to see how this evolves :)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
This jacket thing was never about need. How could it? It's a jacket-if we were truly in need of warmth we'd wrap ourselves in a readily available blanket.

But the want is strong, trying to impersonate need. It's like romance. We convince ourselves we're incomplete without this or that, when in reality, it's just our brains and endorphin receptors teasing us. I haven't purchased a jacket in a year and I haven't keeled over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points