Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The extra time you spend getting ready because you wear vintage.

P

Paul

The more I read and see about the late 40's and 50's I think that a lady would have spent more time getting ready compared to today.
Hair style then look more complicated not know about make up is that quicker now! but girdles and stocking take more time than today tights, more accessories then than now.

You are probably so use to it now, but when you wear full vintage do you spend a lot more time getting ready than wearing a modern style.
If true I have a feeling at the back of my mind the extra time spent in front of a dressing table preparing to wear full vintage is one of the joys of wearing vintage. To days ladies have lost out a little on this with quick dry and one application this or that needing or having less time.
Or am I totally off the mark?

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, you are right on the mark. It takes me forever to get ready to wear vintage. It usually begins the evening before, spending at least an hour putting my hair in pin curls. Then the next morning, taking all of those pins out and attempting to style the created ringlets into something presentable.

Yes, it does take a lot more time. No, I don't consider it one of the joys of dressing vintage. I actually dread it. I much rather prefer to do it like they did in the old days when a gal went to the salon to have her hair set every week. Unfortunately the closest stylist to me who knows how to do a 30's do is nearly an hour from me. So that's not a possibility.
I do, however, feel really good once the transformation is complete.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
No, I don't spend any extra time, and I probably spend less time on my hair because I wash and set it at night (I have it down to a science ;)) When I still styled it in a modern look, I would wash and blow dry it every morning (which took forever, as I had very long, porous hair)--and then I would curl it with hot rollers or a curling iron (and a curling iron means you have to curl individual sections of hair one at a time, which takes forever.)

As for makeup, I have worn a full face for years so I have actually got it down to a science—it takes me about 10-15 minutes, depending on how slow-moving I am in the morning (I’m definitely more of a night owl.)

Yes, it takes a little bit of extra time to wear stockings, but personally, I find pantyhose to be much more of a hassle. Selecting jewelry isn’t that much extra—if you know what sets match and can find them easily, you just grab and go (and heck, if I am really running late I just put the jewelry I want to wear in my purse and throw it on at work.)

Anyway, because I don't think it takes that much time to go vintage, I am surprised at how little (visible) effort most women put into their overall style today. I suppose they could be looking at photographs and thinking, "That must take forever, too much work for me..."

I should add that I was never a "wash and wear" kind of girl. I have always enjoyed buying and applying makeup, and eventually, styling my hair as well. In addition, because I am a natural, pale blonde, without makeup I look like Casper the ghost (really, this was a nickname of mine growing up :rolleyes: )--not the look for me lol

decodoll

Practically Family
At most it adds maybe 20 minutes to the time it might take to go out looking more modern and that's only the additional time spent setting my hair each morning. Other than that, it doesn't take me any longer to put on stockings than pantyhose or vintage clothes over modern ones. Accesories only take a minute. Not any longer than someone else would take. Of course, I'm making these comparisons to someone dressing modern that actually dresses properly for work or going out, not someone that goes out in a t-shirt, jeans and flip flops without combing their hair.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I'm making these comparisons to someone dressing modern that actually dresses properly for work or going out, not someone that goes out in a t-shirt, jeans and flip flops without combing their hair.

So true. Why anyone would go out in a public in an outfit I wouldn't even wear to sleep in is beyond me. It's no wonder so many can't be bothered with dressing nicely when don't have to change out of the same tank top and PJ pants that they wore to bed, don't have to comb their hair, and can wear flip flops to boot :rolleyes:

jitterbugdoll said:
So true. Why anyone would go out in a public in an outfit I wouldn't even wear to sleep in is beyond me. It's no wonder so many can't be bothered with dressing nicely when don't have to change out of the same tank top and PJ pants that they wore to bed, don't have to comb their hair, and can wear flip flops to boot :rolleyes:

I may not do full vintage as I haven't the wardrob yet, but I always feel better about myself when I am fixed up. There is nothing that irks me more than seeing people in there PJ's in public. And in the south the even wear fuzzy bedroom slippers out. :rage:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's hard for me to make a comparison, because I really don't do "modern," but I don't think I really take a lot more time. It takes me maybe ten minutes to set my hair at night, and another ten to brush it out and roll it in the morning -- and getting dressed and doing makeup really don't take me any longer than it would take to put on any other kind of an outfit. Once my hair is done, I can be dressed and out the door in five minutes.

If there's one area that does take more time, I'd think it might be wardrobe maintenance. Rinsing out stockings in the sink at night, ironing dresses, blouses, and skirts, sewing on missing buttons, cleaning shoes, and things like that all do take time -- and are the sorts of things that generally aren't a regular part of the modern jeans-n-tshirt routine. I have friends who don't even *own* an iron, let alone know how to use one...

P

Paul

I should not really be surprised that you all have it down to a very fine art.But I am, that is not much longer that getting ready for the same event as modern wash n go.
What I have read in other threads about choosing the right this and that make the whole getting ready thing sound more interesting all the time.
So fascinating to here.
Thank you

Daisy Buchanan

Paul said:
I should not really be surprised that you all have it down to a very fine art.But I am, that is not much longer that getting ready for the same event as modern wash n go.
What I have read in other threads about choosing the right this and that make the whole getting ready thing sound more interesting all the time.
So fascinating to here.
Thank you
Guess I need a lot more practice. Seems that I'm the only one who thinks this process takes longer than usual. But, I was including the prep that it takes the evening before to set my hair in pin curls. I don't need as much time if I am going to use hot rollers, if my hair is already set, or if I plan to wear my hair down and straight.

P

Paul

Daisy Buchanan said:
Seems that I'm the only one who thinks this process takes longer than usual. But, I was including the prep that it takes the evening before to set my hair in pin curls. I don't need as much time if I am going to use hot rollers, if my hair is already set, or if I plan to wear my hair down and straight.

Speed is not every thing Daisy, it's the end result that counts, your 30's evening dress (my space) is simply stunning. You could have just stepped out of the 30's wearing that one.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Being a woman who did modern, dressing vintage definetely takes more time to get ready than what I'm used to. But really, no complaints here! For me, the extra time it takes in getting ready is so worth the end result I get ;)
For hair, I've been used to just putting some anti-frizz cream into it and then go...now it's curling and what not.

Rosie

One Too Many
I don't think it takes much longer. By comparison, last week, I roomed with two non vintage wearing cousins when away. All three of us got ready in about the same amount of time (my cousins dress modern but are not of the t shirt, jeans and flip flops set) but, I did more stuff. I did makeup while they just moisturized their faces. I wore my support garments, one night, I wore stockings, while they just lotioned up and slipped on their clothes and shoes. I had a petticoat, gloves, hair styling and accessories to deal with but, it didn't take me lots longer, maybe ten minutes more [huh], to me, its more than worth it.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I dress both modern and vintage. When I do vintage, I do find that it takes a little longer, but honestly not very much. When I wear modern, I always make sure I am well put-together, but I do tend to dress more casual and my hair and makeup are very natural. When I do vintage or a vintage uniform (I am a WWII reenactor), I tend to wear a little more makeup and I take more time with my hair to work it into a period style, or around whatever hat I may be wearing. I would say that when I do vintage, I add 10-20 minutes onto my "getting ready" routine. My hair is short, so that probably accounts for a bit of my time savings!

I think that with anything, you find what works best for you and get into a routine with it. Obviously if you're going to wear a dress with full foundation garments, makeup, and a pincurled updo, it is going to take you longer to get ready than someone who just throws on jeans, a t-shirt and the dreaded flip-flops. For those of us who dress modern in a neat, put-together fashion, I would guess that the prep time is probably about the same or only slightly less than those who do full vintage.

Daisy Buchanan

Paul said:
Speed is not every thing Daisy, it's the end result that counts, your 30's evening dress (my space) is simply stunning. You could have just stepped out of the 30's wearing that one.
Thank you so much for the kind compliments. I really lucked out with that dress. It's as if I lived a past life in the 30's had that dress made, and somehow found it in this life. I plan on wearing it to the Queen Mary this year. When wearing it out, even modern girls ask me where I got it. A testament that the 30's gown is one of the ultimate gowns.

Kaela

Vendor
Well I would have to say I agree with jitterbugdoll, that I can actually save time doing vintage hairstyles, since a hair set takes 10-15 minutes, and can last for two days or more, with only brushing it to fluff it up, or pinning it up if I'm feelin fancy. The joys of suiting up vintage are endless! From stockings to shoes, purses, jewelry, and my absolute favorite would be the fun things inside purses compacts, lipstick, hankies, and the like... it's more like a hobby, than a matter of being well groomed. I have, however, been criticized taking too long to get ready, but with the results that I get, it's well worth the occasional late arrival!

And I think it's unfair to compare it to "modern" dressing which would mostly involve something that's 3% spandex and screenprinted!
If you compare it to somebody who dresses nicely for work or something, it's almost exactly the same amount of time!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I think it takes the same time to dress vintage. Either way it is the same routine. Pull out of hamper, smell to make sure it is clean, put it on, smooth out wrinkles as much as possible, brush off dog hair. lol Just teasing... except for the dog hair part. But in the end... same amount of time as long as the garments are clean and ready to go.

KittyAnneMalloo

Familiar Face
Oh vintage for me is way quicker. Back when I dressed modern I would get up and turn oin the straightner wash and blowdry my hair then straighten it...it took for ever then foundation powder blush three eyeshadow colours, pick a lip colour blah blah blah LOL
Now 10 minutes putting in my rollers at night 5 minutes taking them out in the morning comb through then victory rolls or one side up with a hair flower and hair is done. I take short cuts I suppose with my day time make up. Foundation and powder a whisper of blush and a pale pink eyeshadow and liquide eyeliner and grab my red lippy and Im done...oh and I draw my eyebrows ion but its still heaps quicker for me now!

rue

It's funny, I was just talking to my mom about this today.... I said I had to get off the phone for a minute to do my hair and called her back 5 minutes later. She was amazed because she knows I curl it everyday. I told her I only had to brush it out and she wanted to know if it would be easier to wear it like I did before lol..... blow drying and straightening it took 3 times as long.... she still thinks I'm lying :rolleyes: , but it's true. Make-up is the same, about 10 minutes. As far as clothes, it takes the same time no matter what I wear, because I pick it out the day before [huh] All in all it takes me about 30-40 minutes no matter what and that includes a shower.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points