Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Fedora Lounge 4.0

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Nathan, thank you - I see that the "location" of the member and message count is back. Again, can't say how much I appreciate all the work you are doing for us.
It's back for desktop but it's too crowded in mobile so I've hidden it unless you're in landscape mode.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
While I occasionally pull FL up on my phone (bored on a check out line, etc.), overall, I find the mobile screen too small to really enjoy it. I'm amazed that some members seem to use their phone for their regular FL time.
Hey all:
I’ve never seen the Lounge on other than a mobile. It’s been over 2 years on an iPhone. No computer, no internet, just good old AT&T unlimited.
Guess i don’t know what i been missing.
And they say dinosaurs are extinct.
Fooey!!
On way to Opthalmologist now.
Be well. Bowen

Hey all:
I’ve never seen the Lounge on other than a mobile. It’s been over 2 years on an iPhone. No computer, no internet, just good old AT&T unlimited.
Guess i don’t know what i been missing.
And they say dinosaurs are extinct.
Fooey!!
On way to Opthalmologist now.
Be well. Bowen

As the saying goes - to each his own. If it works for you, that's great. As noted, I've accessed FL on mobile and it's okay; I just find the experience limiting vs on a full screen. Good luck at the eye doctors.

All around smombies, smombies, smombies...

351-2.jpg

I'm an old man... :D

I really like my smart phone and use it all day long for this or that - and a lot of work related things (I'm in finance and easily move charts and graphs around on my phone without an issue). I do almost all my banking on my phone (depositing a check on the phone is an incredible time saver and just cool). With reading glasses, my vision is perfect.

That said, some things, IMHO, just suffer when a screen gets too small. I have watched movies on my phone, but find it a very limiting experience versus a full screen. That's what surprises me so much about the Millennials - they seem to not care about or notice those limitations. Hey, it's not as if they haven't seen movies on a big screen - so I guess they sincerely aren't bothered by the small size.

Wait'll the presbyopia fairy pays them a visit.
That's what did me in. I had perfect vision until I hit my early-40s, but my "near" vision has been going steadily downhill ever since. Even with some form of corrective lenses, reading anything on a screen the size of a playing card is problematic at best so I've always accessed The Lounge on my laptop (and I still need my glasses for that). Besides, I truly loathe phones of all varieties and consider them a necessary evil, so just the thought of spending more time using one makes my blood boil.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Yep, the early forties were when it hit me, and it's been getting steadily worse. I've always had extreme myopia and have had to wear thick specs since i was in the fourth grade, and now with the drastic erosion of my near vision as well, it's getting hard even to see the Lounge on a regular desktop monitor. Usually I have to take off my glasses, sit very close to my screen, and close my left eye -- which is much worse than the right one -- just to be able to read.

Or, I have often though, I could wire my laptop to the theatre projector and throw it on a 25' x 13' screen. Sitting in the balcony I ought to just about be able to read it.

All that being so, even if I wanted to own a smartphone it would be completely and utterly pointless.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Wait'll the presbyopia fairy pays them a visit.
At the age of 28 I needed spectacles for a common shortsighted prescription. The optician told me that in my mid to late fifties, due to the minute shinkage of the body, my retina would come back into the correct position, giving me practically twenty twenty vision. What he didn't tell me was the movement doesn't stop. Now I need glasses for reading.

AvavanBlythe

Familiar Face
I'm happy to see the much-needed update. As a graphic designer, it was hard to ignore the lack of anti-aliasing and the bleeding edges that much of the UI had. Things now look cleaner and smoother. I like having the option for dark or light, given I try to keep things more dim at night. I don't feel like the atmosphere has changed too much. The navigation is much more stream-lined, whereas before I felt like it took a bit of digging just to find something simple. Having brown-based greys, instead of completely black, is a nice touch.

Edit: I also noticed the favicon finally updated. I actively use my bookmarks toolbar, and it's always frustrating when a site doesn't have one. I often omit labeling favicon buttons so that I have more room. They're either quick links or tools I use, so it's helpful to have an icon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112