Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Fedora Lounge Guide to Esquire Men's Fashion, 1933-1948, By Flanderian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanderian

Practically Family
This is the balance of the October 1935 illustrations.

ESq103509.jpg

Esq103510.jpg

Esq103511.jpg

Esq103512.jpg

Esq103508.jpg

Esq103501.jpg

Flanderian

Practically Family
These are Esquire's illustrations for December 1935. Beginning with this issue, December issues were virtually devoid of fashion plates, and are replaced by a few sparse pages of items available for sale. And as we progress, their true nature as essentially advertising becomes evident. But they are what they are.

Esq123502a.jpg

Esq123502b.jpg

Esq123503a.jpg

Esq123503b.jpg

Flanderian

Practically Family
These are the illustrations for Esquire, June 1936.

Esq063601.jpg

Esq063602.jpg

Esq063603.jpg

Esq063604.jpg

Esq063605.jpg

Esq063606.jpg

Esq063607.jpg

The ad illustration below is one of my favorites because it shows the great variety of pocket styles and back treatments available, and which were then common in that era. And how each variety could be used with others to create specific aesthetic effects.

Esq063608.jpg

Flanderian

Practically Family
This is perhaps tangential, but some might be curious. I attempted to offer a brief synopsis in the introduction to this thread of the differences between the publications, Apparel Arts, and Esquire. It included what I suspect is an inadequate description of the nature of Apparel Arts as Esquire's older sister publication and inspiration.

There's an active collectors market in old copies of Apparel Arts, particularly those from the '30's, and even copies not in very good condition can sell for surprising sums. And most survivors aren't in great condition because despite the lavish nature of its printing and binding, it was never originally intended to last into the future.

Surviving copies are periodically sold via the Internet and sellers sometimes include a photo of the cover and a few pages to illustrate the content and condition to prospective purchasers. One such example I've happened upon is a remarkably well preserved copy of an issue that was resold to a collector in 2019. It's the Fall 1936 issue which is listed as Vol. VII No. 1. I'm offering this here because it provides a glimpse into the nature of Apparel Arts, especially the lavish and eye-catching cardboard covers, which unfortunately are disintegrated on most survivors, and into some of the differences in content between it and Esquire.

AAFall193601.jpg

AAFall193602.jpg

AAFall193603.jpg

AAFall193604.jpg

Flanderian

Practically Family
This is the balance of September 1936.

Esq093607.jpg

Esq093608.jpg

Esq093609.jpg

Esq093610.jpg

Esq093611.jpg

Esq093606.jpg

Edit: This is something I find remarkable, and thought might interest others who enjoy this subject: the third illustration from the top of the post directly above is a photo of a variety of sartorial accessories attractively displayed. It's Esquire's page 130. Two ties are pictured. The one to the left is an orangey, straw colored homespun tweed, the tip of which is left cut and unfinished. I have this tie! But what is notable is that it didn't originate from 1936. It was purchased new roughly 25 years ago from Polo.

I had long read that the talented group of designers assembled by Ralph Lauren spent lots of time pouring over old sartorial publications, as well as other sources such as bunches, from which to derive their inspiration. I think my tie serves as material evidence of the accuracy of these reports as it differs solely from the original in that its shape is that of 1995, rather than 1936's. Otherwise, it appears to be identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana