Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The feel of the era.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ok, I wanted to talk about having a vintage feeling or moment. Who here has been doing something old fashioned or has been some where then feel that they have been transported to that time period for a moment? And then felt a feeling of sadness when it was over. I have on many occasions! One time I was at Marching Through History and a group of friends of mine had their WWII tent up with original field kitchen, V-disk player playing original V-disks, and even a WWII gas generator. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m telling you, as we all sat there in original uniforms, sitting in a dark field with that old music and nothing modern around us I truly felt like I was in another era. It lasted till the generator ran out of gas and I was elected to go to the station to fill up the tank. I swear, I haven?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t felt that close to living in another era since then. It was so moving and emotional to experience what my Grandfather might have experienced.

Other times are when I go for a late night drive in the Plymouth. Wearing vintage and listening to old music wile driving around down dark streets in very old areas really has an effect on me. Also, music also plays a strong roll in time travel. Certain songs evoke old fashion experiences.

It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s moments like that, that makes it all worth wile! So, any one please share an old fashioned experience!

Cheers,
Root.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Hi Root!

I had a really vintage feeling when my wife and I were in the Plymouth with you and Matt Deckard last week. It was great.

Check out you and Matt up front:

LAwithRootandMatt013.jpg

Then, check out you and me on the Queen Mary. What a great little adventure, exploring around the different levels! Remember the pool?

LAwithRootandMatt024.jpg

Regards to you all,

Mr. 'H'.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I say, that first photo is really quite nice! The lighting and such really feels old fashioned.

The Queen Mary was really fun as well and I have to say that every time I go I always seem to find my way into some place I haven't been.

Cheers,

Root.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I don't have anything nearly as cool as your story. The closest I have come is through watching movies, or setting in a completely restored vintage car or aircraft.

Perhaps the nearest I have had to that Westworld or Somewhere in Time experience has been walking the decks of the Queen Mary in the wee hours when all the tourist are asleep.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Indeed! The Queen Mary is on the list too. I enjoy walking around that ship very much. I get that time travel feeling some times when I'm on that ship.

Thanks for sharing!

Root.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Walking the halls of the Queen late at night is when you may encounter something of the paranormal! But yes, I really enjoy that ship. The past is alive with in that ship and you can really feel history seeping out of the walls knowing it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s history.

Long live the RMS Queen!
Root.

macawber

Familiar Face
I have visited India 7 times since the 80's, and have had numerous instances of visiting another time. I find especially interesting the time of the British Raj, which ended in the late 40's. The railway stations built by the British, are much the same as they were during the time of the raj. Steam trains may still be running, I have made many journeys by rail, and they were largely steam. One of my main interests in India is its National parks. I was staying at Kanha N.P. and the owner of the lodge I was staying at was returning to Calcutta. He has a bus that that he drives to the railway station and I had seen what I wanted, so I took the trip on his bus. We stopped at an old dak bungalow along the way for lunch. The building was British in design but from another time. We had a lunch of Anglo Indian style food and some glasses of cold beer. The lodge owner told me of the history of the place, a hunters lodge and rest house for travellers. I really sensed the history of this place, as I am an avid reader of Indian hunting stories. It was easy to imagine hunters setting out after Tiger or Samber deer from the Bungalow. This happens all over India, but one has to know where to look.

Wildroot, what a great question, as I think these sort of experiences are what you can always enjoy if only you remember them.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Some good stories here! Thanks for sharing them everyone thus far.

Yeah Bob, I feel the same way. With being currently unemployed, I feel I'm living in a Great Depression Dream! Just lacking good entertainment on the radio and movies. Other then that, the song "Brother can you spare a dime" comes to mind. :p

If you think the cost of living is going up over there, HA! You should try living in CA for a spell. Two bedroom homes in a nice area I have seen sell for $800,000. To 1,000,000.! So, I feel my California days may be ending in the near future if I ever want to buy a home.

Any way, let?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s keep the ball rolling in the right direction.

Root.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Yeah isn't it funny that our (grand)parents homes were considered "starter" homes back in the 30s and 40s and these same homes now are considered exclusive?

Same thing in Ireland.

I bet those two bed properties Root was referring to were within the reach of working people back then.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I wish you all the best, Root my friend.

I guess I can't complain, Houston has very low housing costs.

I moved here in 2000 and bought a 2,200sq ft, two story home in a great neighborhood, good schools and work for $120,00.

What the hell am I complaining about?

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
It's like that, MK...

Southeast TX, hosing costs are the lowest in the country. New homes starting at about $50-80 a sq ft. Houston is the fourth largest city in America, housing demand is real high. I live just north of the city.

Oh, to get back on track, my grandma will be 106 this year and I will be visiting in a month or so, WVA. I plan on getting all the photos and memoralbilia that I can.

Wild Root

Gone Home
That's crazy! One reason not to live there! Over crowded and to much money.

Any way I don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t want to sound like a thread Nazi but, let?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s get this run away train back on track! Share your old fashioned experiences please. That's the intent of the thread. ;)

Thanks!

Root.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Before this thread got into housing prices (I'm still renovating my house bargain, if anyone wants to hear about it in another thread), it was about that Golden Era feeling that comes over you now and then.

Last Summer when they were shooting Cinderella Man here in T.O., blocks of Queen Street East were dressed in period and, wow, was that a buzz. Truly like stepping back in time. One side of the Simpsons (now the Hudsons Bay) building on Richmond was dressed to look like Madison Square Gardens, with little shops along the side and everything. That was nice too. I haven't seen the film, but I got some of that GE feeling from the production. Thanks Opie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points