Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Filson Thread

Jupiter

New in Town
How about Filson?

All this talk about classic clothing has me wondering about Filson's offerings... anyone have any experience with, say, their Mackinaw Cruiser? Supposedly, it hasn't changed much since 1914. I like the look of it, and the fact that it's pretty much a bullet-proof super-heavyweight wool coat, but at 265 bucks, it's a bit expensive to buy sight-unseen! Any thoughts about that coat, or some of their other items, like their shirts? From what they have to say about their products, it sounds like their stuff is really nice and very durable outdoorsy wear (thought it's all expensive!).

Jupiter

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
Sierra Trading Post now offers Filson items at discount.

I just got two Filson shirts from STP today, which do look sharp.

Baggers

Practically Family
Filson makes some of the best gear out there. I have several items, mostly in their safari cloth (shirts, trousers, and a couple of earlier design bush jackets), as well as some of their luggage and accessory items. I don't have much experience with their wool beyond two pair of whipcord trousers which don't see much use due to the lack of cold weather where I live, but I can say that they are extremly well made and, as you stated, darn near bullet proof.

The company was bought by one of the big clothing designers a year or so back, and since then they've added a newer, hipper line of clothing which I can't comment on beyond the styles not being quite my cup of tea. But the older classic stuff still seem to be made to the same high standard.

They are expensive, but mostly worth it. However, if you buy through a company called David Morgan, due to a special relationship that they have with Filson you'll get a slight break on Filson's catalogue prices. Every time I see something in the catalogue that I want, I go to David Morgan and sure enough it's a few bucks cheaper. My local Orvis store also stocks Filson, and the same thing applies. It's cheaper to buy from DM in Washington state and have it shipped to me than to buy it locally and pay state sales tax. [huh]

Cheers!

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
Just to follow through on my prior post.

In a burst of irrational exhuberance, I just ordered a third Filson shirt from Sierra Trading Post, a henley. ( These look like they are going fast. There used to be two colors available, but now only one is. )

The two shirts that I received today are both plaids but differ in their texture. One is a "Grange" shirt, which is quite heavy - probably too heavy until later this year. The other, a "Lewis Twill" shirt is much lighter - I could wear it in summertime and is actually elegant. The Grange is definitely for the rugged outdoor work one associates Filson with; the Lewis is something to be worn around the fireplace and is almost dressy.

Both compare quite well to several Orvis oxford cloth tartans or the Barbour tattersall which I own.

BTW: STP is now offering a $10 discount for purchases over $30 that use Google ordering. Type in WDGB8 coupon code. I don't know how long this offer will last.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I have quite a bit of Filson stuff-the Mackinaw Cruiser, Tin Field Jacket,and Tin Klondike jacket,several wool liners for them, the wool vest, and the mackinaw bibs. As you might guess, I like Filson a lot. Good wool jackets don't come cheap. Woolrich has one that is not too bad looking, but if you are looking for a coat of this style,your choices are pretty limited. I got several Mackinaw-type wool coats made by Pendleton from eBay,but I don't think they make this sort of coat anymore. (I actually like these better than the Filson, as the wool is softer and "woolier" than the wool Filson uses)
Filson is one of the few companies that makes "outdoor" clothes for people who actually work outside. Pendleton did too, but not anymore since they went upscale. I hope Filson stays true to their original customer base. I like some of their new stuff-especially that wool tweed shooting jacket-that I may end up buying.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Filson American-made gear is second to none (haven't checked out the new line of clothes made in Asia...that's not why I shop with Filson). They have some styles which have remained unchanged for more than 100 years. Anymore, I find there stuff is too outdoorsy for me; I'm an urban fellow so I opt for hipper urban clothing now.

When I was more countrified, Filson was my lifeblood. I've owned dozens of Filson pieces, new and "vintage" alike." Their mackinaw and double-mack cruisers are like armor against cold. Their oiled tin-cloth gear is like armor, literally. Their boots are the best. Their luggage just can't be beat, timeless style and built to last forever. I love their compartment cases and their pullman-type bags.

In case folks didn't know (or believe), Filson was THE outfitter for the Klondike Gold Rush. Their stuff is no-nonsense. It is not expensive at all when you realize what you've gotten for the price. I have, for example, a Guide sweater and a Jac-Shirt that I've had for some 12 years now, wearing them constantly during the season. Looking at them, you'd swear they were brand new, honestly.

$200 spent on a Filson rain coat as opposed to $300 on some plastic jacket from Nike which won't work at all and will fall apart in the first year? No contest. Spend your money where it will really last.

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
I used to work in a sporting good shop that sold Filson and I have several of there items. I really think the wool clothing is where Filson shines. The Mac Cruiser is a classic....I also had a double Mac for a while but it was just too much coat. I really hated to see Filson selling imports as I remember the Filson Rep saying this would never happen and was against the Filson vision. He also mentioned the same thing about camo clothing from Filson....now just take a look at their offerings....both imports and camo!
The luggage is great and built to last a lifetime.

ideaguy

One Too Many
What Adam said...Filson is hands-down the best, and if you break the cost down to a per year deal, the mac from Filson for $265 ends up being the cheapest coat you can buy-you'll give it to your kids, because short of being eaten by a bear, coat & all, you'll never outlive a Filson. And they look cool,too.

czack

One of the Regulars
Can't be beat.

I grew up in Seattle where Filson is located and their stuff is legendary in the Pacific Northwest. I have several of their items and they still look good despite the abuse I've given them. Like it was stated earlier it's bulletproof and money well spent.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I wore a pair of Filson tin chaps while slogging through the underbrush in western Pennsylvania for years doing surveys. At times we had to force our way through brush so think that we couldn't see each other from 10 feet apart. They were probably the best piece of gear I'd ever had, and turned away the brambles with ease. I'll never forget the day I decided that it was too hot for them, and left them in the vehicle. Big mistake! I had not realized how good they were until I left them behind. Those things survived climbing through and over barbed wire, raspberry cane as thick as bamboo stands, climbing cliffs, scrambling up and down hills, and everything else and were still as good when I passed them on to my buddy as they were the day I bought them.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Tony in Tarzana said:
Dang, they're light on larger sizes. I'll keep Filson in mind when and if I lose some weight.
Tony in Tarzana, as far as I know, they will gladly accomodate custom orders, larger sizes, different fabrics, etc. In fact, I don't even think XXL and such would be custom. I think they make larger sizes but don't necessarily list them in catalogs or online. They've been doing it so long, I'd imagine they've got countless "extra large" customers. I know they do, in fact.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If so, they need to get with the program. Many people with check out their website, see the lack of larger sizes and move on.

It's annoying to have to go to them, figuratively, hat in hand, and ask "Please sir, may I have some larger sizes?"

(Edit: Sorry, that's a bit harsh.)

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
I just took a look at their website and see several items in XL, XXL and even XXXL. It looks like the classic cruiser runs from 36-54.

Tony in Tarzana said:
If so, they need to get with the program. Many people with check out their website, see the lack of larger sizes and move on.

It's annoying to have to go to them, figuratively, hat in hand, and ask "Please sir, may I have some larger sizes?"

(Edit: Sorry, that's a bit harsh.)

Tony in Tarzana

I'll check again, but in the pants section bigger sizes are pretty scarce, especially US-made ones. I did see a pair of US-made oilcloth pants in XXL which I'll keep in mind if I ever go duck hunting.

Mike in Seattle

czack said:
I grew up in Seattle where Filson is located and their stuff is legendary in the Pacific Northwest. I have several of their items and they still look good despite the abuse I've given them. Like it was stated earlier it's bulletproof and money well spent.

We were at a cast party after a show last night in a gorgeous, outrageously priced condo on the 20th floor that had a great view from the rooftop gardens on the 26th floor looking down at the big green Filson headquarters sign in Seattle. I'm going to have to check out the store next time I'm downtown!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
My husband owns quite a bit of Filson gear - coats, hats, vests, shirts, etc. It is well worth the money. The stuff will be around long after he is gone! As far as outdoor clothing goes, they're one of the best outfitters around. Their clothing is actually made *for* the outdoors - not just for looks.

Regarding coats, he owns the Double Mackinaw Cruiser, $297.50 on their site. It is heavy, warm, and extremely well made. For the record, my husband is over 6' and wears a 44L coat, and he says that their coats do tend to run a tad big (probably for layering purposes).

Bottom line is that Filson gear is initially pricey, but worth it in the long run. Their stuff is an investment. You won't regret it.

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
I just received the Filson henley I referred to earlier.

I must change my position. My exhuberance in ordering it was entirely rational.

It is excellent - better than the one's Orvis offers.

J

JohnTheGreek

Might as well have the best !

Having worn Filson garments in Southern Africa rains, Cairo heat, and Yukon Territory snow storms, I think I can say that I will never wear anything else when my clothes are needed to actually function rather than simply look good. The beauty of Filson is their stuff is amazingly durable (particularly their winter gear) AND it looks great!

Filson's customer service is also second to none. I own a pair of Mackinaw wool bibs that were torn below the knee when I fell on some rocks in the Yukon Territory four years ago. I then had the idea of repairing the tear (which Filson did for nothing) and later reinforcing the front of them from the knees down with Filson's waxed "tin cloth". I emailed their customer service department and offered my credit card to buy some fabric. They insisted on sending me a few yards at NO charge so I could modify the garment to my specifications. Excellent.

I also own about five pieces of their duffle styled luggage. If you've ever seen how African baggage handlers deal with people's stuff you'll appreciate the fact that all of these bags are still going strong after about six years of proud ownership.

In short, I'm a cheap ba***rd when it comes to clothes and such....I can only afford to buy the best! Filson is it.

Regards,

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points