Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Final Federation

MCrider

A-List Customer
This is my final Federation. It's the fourth one I have and I think enough is enough. The first was a brown Federation I purchased used, so I don't know how old it really is. It has an Indy bash. The second was also brown. It's a Fed III with a C-crown. I don't wear it as much for two reasons. First is because the brim is slightly bigger than I like. But the second reason is my fourth Federation: the moonstone Fed IV. That's the one I wear the most. But that may be changing now. For a year or two I've been talking about getting a Fed IV in the tawny color. Well I finally did it - and it came in today! Here's a pic of it just out of the box

S5031686.jpg

And here's another one straight on

S5031689.jpg

I haven't decided what kind of bash to put in it yet. But when I do, I'll be sure to post the pics up. So here's to my final Fed - maybe ;)

Until I got my first (and only, so far) custom made hat, my Tawny Fawn Fed IV was my favorite hat. My first "real" hat was a Dark Brown Fed IV, purchased in 2008, but for reasons that are too long and boring to explain I could never quite get the brim shaped to my satisfaction, so it hasn't seen nearly as much head time as the Tawny Fawn. I might get around to purchasing a Moonstone or Carbon Grey at some point, but for now brown hats are my preference for some reason.

Looking forward to seeing photos once you've decided how to shape the crown!

Bad Co

One of the Regulars
My Tawny Fawn Fed is my favorite hat for the Fall season
You got yours just in time
Looking forward to seeing it once you shape it

MCrider

A-List Customer
Still working on shaping the crown. I did take an outdoor picture of it before I started just to give a sense of the color in natural light.

Fed4 09-27-14g.jpg

I should have it shaped by tomorrow and I'll be posting more pics then. But I have to admit I am loving the color - probably even more than the moonstone!

:)

MCrider

A-List Customer
Well here's what I decided to go with -

Fed4 09-29-14b.jpg

So yes it's an Indy style center dent. This was the easiest open crown I have ever shaped. I wasn't sure that a center dent was the way to go, since they seem to ride a bit high, but I love the way this one looks.

Fed4 09-29-14c.jpg

Now if the weather would cooperate and get out of the high 70's this Final Fed could get some time on my head.

Duper

Practically Family
That Tawny colour is just so nice. I have the Tawny and the Moonstone. I find the Moonstone gets more compliments, but the Tawny is my favourite of the two. You did a nice job on the bash. The two Silverbelly Camp Drafts I own are much stiffer hats than my Tawny CD or Fed or my two BG CDs. Makes me wonder if the Silverbelly open crown hats are just stiffer to start with? Perhaps that keeps Hats Direct from moving to the Silverbelly in the Imperial quality felt?

...The two Silverbelly Camp Drafts I own are much stiffer hats than my Tawny CD or Fed or my two BG CDs. Makes me wonder if the Silverbelly open crown hats are just stiffer to start with?
My Taupe Fawn Campdraft was considerably stiffer than my Silverbelly Campdraft or either of my Feds (all three of which were about the same with regards to stiffness), so my guess is that it's simply a matter of the amount of stiffener used on each individual hat body.

Edward

Bartender
My fantasy is to have one of each of the Fed models available (both standard and deluxe). To date I have a Carbon Grey Std and a Brown deluxe. The latter is probably my most worn brimmed hat, challenged only by an original late 40s Royal Stetson in mid-grey. The one thing that for me would make the Fed hte perfect production Fedora would be if they added the option of a wind trolley.

SRDublin

New in Town
I want a tawny fed badly, but I have a question. Is the dimensional brim easily shaped? I have an adventurer that tends to take a hard downward turn in the front whenever I put it on. My standard brims do not. I figured it must have something to do with the cut of the brim...

I want a tawny fed badly, but I have a question. Is the dimensional brim easily shaped? I have an adventurer that tends to take a hard downward turn in the front whenever I put it on. My standard brims do not. I figured it must have something to do with the cut of the brim...
Mine went from this to this...

Akubra_Fed_IV_TF_01_Before_After_zpsdc521559.jpg

...in the space of about 30 minutes. I'm about as ham fisted and amateurish as you can get when it comes to shaping hats, so, yes, within reason I'd say they're easily shaped.

That being said, since you mentioned "a hard downward turn in the front" it's possible the brim on your Adventurer having a bit more width front and back is giving the illusion that there's more of a downward turn than there actually is, particularly if you're used to non-dimensional brims. Also, I feel I should mention that on both of my Fed IVs the brim curl/cupping became more pronounced on both hats during the first two or three weeks of wearing them, so that's something that should be taken into consideration. The curl/cupping isn't extreme, but the brims definitely don't stay as flat as they are out of the box in my experience.

SRDublin

New in Town
Thanks Zombie! I appreciate the response. It indeed may simply appear to be dipping farther. I love the hat, but tend to wear it less because it looks like I'm trying to hide my eyes!

Bad Co

One of the Regulars
Edward - totally agree with you on the wind trolley
Zombie - Those pictures are great

The Good

Call Me a Cab
The tawny fawn Federations are very nice hats. I have one, and it's quickly become my second favorite hat, next to a pale grey vintage Stetson. I still wear mine with the brim up, though. I've taken to liking the up-turned brim style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff