Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The First Jacket.

sshack

A-List Customer
I remember watching Empire of the Sun in the late '80's. A lot of the story was over my head at the time, not really a kid's movie. A GREAT adult's movie. But the scene I remember the most was when Jim (young Christian Bale) got his hands on a leather flight jacket. I had no idea what kind it was (I've read a Schott G1, but now evidence it was an Aero!), but I just knew it looked freakin' cool. And I wanted one. A lot.

I still don't have a G1 in my collection, I prefer the A2 these days. But that was the first jacket that lit the fuse.
gettyimages-607395978-2048x2048.jpeg

img01.jpeg

img07.jpeg

Last edited:

zebedee

One Too Many
You should read J.G. Ballard's novels if you like the film. 'Cocaine Nights' is particularly good. I don't recall the exact first jacket that kicked the habit off for me, but the 'Empire of the Sun' one is an inspired piece of costuming.

sshack

A-List Customer
You should read J.G. Ballard's novels if you like the film. 'Cocaine Nights' is particularly good. I don't recall the exact first jacket that kicked the habit off for me, but the 'Empire of the Sun' one is an inspired piece of costuming.
Thanks, I'm always looking for my next read!

zebedee

One Too Many
Thanks, I'm always looking for my next read!
Ballard was quite mad, but also foresaw a lot of the 'concept tribalism' that currently affects Western societies. He was definitely on the ball when it came to the barely-suppressed antagonism of class divisions in UK society. 'High Rise' is a good one for that (although the film is blunt to the extent that the director may as well have skim-read the novel).

My first was inspired by a photo of Nina Hagen’s teenage husband Iroquois (1987).
9E42F093-F62B-4B11-8F6E-9706C6103C75.jpeg

It was probably a Schott, but I was living in Italy as a foreign exchange student & didn’t have any $$ or access. A local craftswoman made me this jacket from a cowhide tanned by my host father:
F63110D4-904F-4D2F-B7E0-02EE9D8A2BB9.jpeg

The elk tooth was made by my grandfather, and the locks are from my luggage at the time. I’d still wear it if it didn’t have shoulder pads.

Last edited:

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My first was inspired by a photo of Nina Hagen’s teenage husband Iroquois (1987).
View attachment 515353
It was probably a Schott, but I was living in Italy as a foreign exchange student & didn’t have any $$ or access. A local craftswoman made me this jacket from a cowhide tanned by my host father:
View attachment 515352
The elk tooth was made by my grandfather, and the locks are from my luggage at the time. I’d still wear it if it didn’t have shoulder pads.

The proportions of this are spot on, including the pocket shape, size, positioning! Pretty surprising considering how it was made. A member here tried to get a Perfecto made via photo reference and this is how it turned out. I would have expected the same if you’d recounted this story without the photo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner