The Flat Head Deerskin Rider's Jacket - Keeper or Seller??

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Robbie79, May 29, 2019.

1. Robbie79

Robbie79 A-List Customer

Hey all!
    I bought a The Flat Head Deerskin Rider's Jacket from an authorized dealer in Japan a while ago and haven't worn it so far (price incl. tax and import duty was approx. 2k€) as I'm torn whether the style of this jacket suits me well. That's the reason why I've never worn it till now. The deerskin itself is beautifully soft (no break-in needed) and the workmanship of TFH is excellent - I would say not worse than Freewheelers. The lining is not as heavy as Freewheelers use it which is very good for a Spring/Summer jacket. It is a medium weight jacket (I would say similar to Aero's Vicenza HH). As I really love the Freewheelers Mulholland (I've never tried it on but I'm sure size 38 would fit perfectly from my experience) I'm tempted to sell this Deerskin jacket and purchase a used Freewheelers Mulholland instead. Due to the potential high loss (I paid 2k€ for it) and as this is one of my best fitting jackets (couldn't be any better for this style in my opinion) I'm now really undecided if I should keep or sell it. What is your opinion? Keeping or seeling it? Here are some fit pics - many thanks in advance for your advice!
    upload_2019-5-29_10-27-33.png

upload_2019-5-29_10-27-46.png

upload_2019-5-29_10-28-3.png

upload_2019-5-29_10-28-25.png

upload_2019-5-29_10-28-37.png

2. Vezio

Vezio Familiar Face

I think you should keep your jacket. It fits you well and, in my opinion, it is much more beautiful than the Mulholland Freewheelers

Guppy and Robbie79 like this.
  3. dubpynchon

dubpynchon Practically Family

Keep it, it fits very well. What don't you like about the style? I'm not sure you could do better.

ton312 and Robbie79 like this.
  4. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie One Too Many

The jacket fits excellent in the pictures, but as you say yourself, your problem with the jacket apparently is not the fit but the style.. which is purely subjective. Personally, I think it's awesome. I like the diagonal pocket angle for good access and the massive side adjustment straps. Also, I like the broad shoulders on Flathead jackets. This all combined with the fact that TFH is no more and you probably won't get another shot at one of their styles... I'd keep it and that's the potential money loss not even in the consideration.

Robbie79 likes this.
  5. Arizor

Arizor Familiar Face

Gorgeous. Just please wear it with some good quality raw denim ;)

Robbie79 likes this.
  6. ProteinNerd

ProteinNerd My Mail is Forwarded Here

[​IMG]

Is it really that different to the FW Mulholland to warrant the $$$ you will lose over swapping?

They are both really nice jackets and very similar....

sweetfights, Robbie79 and ton312 like this.
  7. Bennarion

Bennarion Practically Family

Judging by the photo, the jacket sits on you well. I will speak for myself about the sale, if I start to doubt the jacket, I eventually get rid of it. But such a jacket without loss will be hard to sell.

l0fielectronic and Robbie79 like this.
  8. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Looks perfect to me. I wouldn’t sell it if I were you. Now if I were me....that’s another story. But the fit literally can’t be improved upon.

sweetfights and Robbie79 like this.
  9. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

As the others say, the fit is spot-on. However, I'm not massively keen on that collar, tbh, it just looks a little shapeless and prefunctory, and the breast pocket feels a little slapped on. The Mulholland collar on the other hand looks a little more elegant, while the positioning and angle of the top pocket is a bit more pleasing.

10. Imuricecreamman

Imuricecreamman One of the Regulars

Leather looks nice but a little underwhelming in the pictures for 2k euros, but is probably much nicer IRL. The design is a little more minimalist to my eyes than the Mulholland which has some of the best details in any jacket IMO. Fit is spot on,man...Perfect.

Robbie79 likes this.
  11. Robbie79

Robbie79 A-List Customer

Many thanks, Guys, for the positive and honest feedback so far!

12. Robbie79

Robbie79 A-List Customer

@Sloan1874 : This is exactly what I meant - the shape / size of the collar! I'm very happy with the rest of the jacket including the fit. I didn't mention this in my initial post as I wanted to hear honest opinions. If it would have the collar of the Mulholland, I would be 100% satisfied with the jacket. Wearing the jacket is so comfortable (one of my most comfy) and the more I look on my fit pics the more I like the jacket including the collar as it doesn't not seem as odd as it originally looked to me. Perhaps I should wear it hoping that I get used to the type of collar - also the deerskin is quite nice and it's difficult to capture it on pictures. Anyway, thanks very much for your honest feedback!

Sloan1874 likes this.
  13. Mich486

Mich486 Practically Family

I’d get the Mulholland if I had the chance but if you are happy with the Flat Head I’d keep that too as I don’t see one being a substitute for the other. One is an half-belt, the other a CHP inspired jacket, different hides... I’m surprised somebody on this forum said they are similar :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robbie79 likes this.
  14. red devil

red devil One Too Many

At the moment I am biased because I like deerskin, and I have seen some deerskin items from TFH. On top of it, the fit is pretty much flawless which is hard to achieve with off the rack jackets, and more specifically with TFH.

You might really regret it if you sold it

15. Robbie79

Robbie79 A-List Customer

Thanks for your feedback. It's not an option for me to buy the Mulholland in addition to TFH jacket and yes I know the styles are different but my wife would "kill" me if I buy the "same" leather jacket again....she doesn't see that there is a real difference ;) and to maintain the family peace I either keep TFH jacket or sell and substitute it by the Mulholland. If I would have the choice, for sure I would buy the Mulholland in addition :D

Mich486 likes this.
  16. sweetfights

sweetfights One Too Many

That jacket is a keeper.
    Fits extremely well.
    The deer hide sounds amazing- I just purchased deer skin gloves and the leather is amazing.
    Flat Head will become increasingly harder to find now.
    Unless you have that Mulholland you want lined up keep this FH.
    That fit is too good to let go without a lot of thought.

17. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

AMEN!

Robbie79 and sweetfights like this.
  18. l0fielectronic

l0fielectronic Practically Family

It fits and looks great for sure.

The collar would, I expect, shape and wear in a little better with some wear on the jacket.

I would say though, if you aren't wearing it or something about it doesn't work for you, move it on and get something you'll wear and enjoy.

I've been going through a few of the jackets I've built up and selling on jackets I really wanted and really liked the materials and design of... but when I got them I just didn't wear for things like something about the fit, not having the pockets I needed or else just because they didn't feel right to me when I wore them.

The only other thing I might wonder about though is that you aren't sure on the style of this jacket and are looking at one in pretty much the same style?

Robbie79 likes this.
  19. navetsea

navetsea Call Me a Cab

Great fit, cant be improved on, style wise i dont like it honestly, particularly that collar and hand warmers.

Robbie79 likes this.
  20. Robbie79

Robbie79 A-List Customer

Thanks for your feedback. The frontside and backside of the Mulholland are a little more appealing to me compared to TFH - when I bought it I didn't even know that the Mulholland exists. I mainly meant the collar style/shape of TFH jacket but I hope you're right that it will look better when wearing it for a while.