Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Fleet's in!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Here's another one of me and just my friend Celeste. You can see a little more of the outfit. I'm wearing my grandfather’s scarf he had when he was in WWII.

Root.

Wild Root

Gone Home
The USS Gunnel SS 253 was a Gato class sub that my neighbor sailed on. He was a Second Class motor operator. It was quite a sub and with an impressive record.

Here is a photo and a link to learn more about this great sub. To me, there isn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t any thing more enjoyable then a day off and a good WWII sub flick. DIVE! DIVE! DIVE!

http://www.jmlavelle.com/gunnel/index.htm

Root.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Up periscope on the Gato!

Root, those pics look great and what a fantastic backdrop in Santa Fe! Those gals have really made a huge effort too, it seems there is a healthy 'retro/vintage' scene in your part of the world, I'm very envious!

You probably know that GATO means CAT in Spanish, so quite an appropriate term for a vessel that stalks others!

It always impresses me when folk like yourself and your friends go the extra mile to dress up and share such photos, so thanks for that, it's appreciated!

PS: My Uncle Frank served on HMS Edinburgh during the war. It was sunk off Murmansk while taking gold to Russia. It was rediscovered about 15 years ago by divers. He survived, but many did not. Can you imagine the ball numbing cold of that water off the Russian coast!! it must have been horrible. I had three uncles (brothers), all of whom served during WW2 and thankfully, all returned (thankfully, not a Private Ryan scenario).

Wild Root

Gone Home
Thanks Paddy! Glad you like the photos! As for a vintage seen, there is one, but not what it was 6 years ago. Those two friends of mine or among the 5 girls I know that really get dolled up100% vintage. There used to be more! I hope it starts coming back.

Those were taken at the Santa Fe Rail Road Station in San Diego! It was built in the 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. Very cool station! Some friends and I took a vintage train trip from LA to San Diego. We sat in two lovely restored passenger cars from the 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s! We got to ride free because they wanted period looking people sitting around for the paying guests to see and for us to talk to them about the war. One of the cars was a New York Central Pullman that had a bar, and a barber shop! You could get your hair cut going 60 mph! I had to do it! Came out nice!

I think they?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re going to do it again on Pearl Harbor Day. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m planning on it if it happens again! Here is a link to their web site.
http://www.overlandtrail.com/

Enjoy!

Root.

The photos on that site have some of my WWII living history buddies. They're in Navy blues and WAC uniforms.

up196

A-List Customer
Ahh . . the luxury of pre-Amtrak

Union Pacific has several vintage cars and locomotives in the Heritage Fleet based in Council Bluffs. They're used for corporate functions and rarely open to the public. Some of the business cars date back to the late 1800s, but most are from the '40s, including the dining cars and sleepers. Whenever I'm on one of the Heritage functions, I always opt to stay on the train instead of in a hotel like most of the agents do, but then, some people just don't get it . . . Tom

Wild Root

Gone Home
I would stay on the train too if I were you! I have had a love of trains ever since I was a little boy! I will always love the sound of a steam locomotive's whistle! Just gives me the shivers every time I hear one! Ahhhh what a sound! Well you remember what they said back in the 40's about the most exciting sounds? Airplane motors, train whistles and anchor chains!

AAAAAALL A BOARD!

Root

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana