Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Gee-Bee Racer - Questions

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Hey all,

I have been doing some digging, trying to find information on the Gee-Bee Racer airplane, the famous and in some cases, infamous, barrel-engined flyer of the pole-races of the 1930s. I haven't had much luck online, and all I can really dig up is that there were a few versions: The Model Z, R-1, and R-2.

Does anyone know the history behind these? Also, any info on the different models?

All I know is that the Model Z was the one featured in The Rocketeer and that the R-2 has been replicated as well. Any information from the more informed would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I love General Doolittle

"In the hands of Jimmy Doolittle, the R-1 won the 1932 Thompson Trophy race."

Read Jimmy Doolittle's book "Doolittle".

He describes his flying the Gee Bee, winning, the first instrument flight in an airplane (powered-no reference to outside visual objects), and his war time experiences with the first strike on Japan (B-25's from the Hornet) and commanding the 8TH Airforce. Remarkable accomplishments!

Captain Krunch

Familiar Face
Just in case someone goes looking for it on Amazon, Doolittle's autobiography is titled "I Could Never Be So Lucky Again". A great read; I highly recommend it.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Here is a real nice photo of a real Gee Bee Z. This I believe was the one they used in the Rocketeer. They had this at the Santa Monica Air musuem untill the musuem shot their doors.

Root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk