Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Gender Thread, vive la difference!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
What is it that makes the opposite gender so lovable/so bloody annoying?
Ladies, why do you foam at the mouth if I, insensitively, leave the lavatory seat up?
Why, when something trivial gets up your nose, must I put it right, (in your eyes,) NOW?
Why, oh why, am I held to ransom, by a with holding of sexual favours? And why do I give in so easily? Lysistrata rules.
Why are you so adorably cute, so enticing, so bloody complicated?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, OK, I'll play along.

I actually don't have all that many dealings with The Opposite Sex in the real world. My workplace is almost entirely female, as are all my close real-world friends, and I've been living on my own for fifteen years come next May. Even my cat is a girl. Most of the men I deal with beyond a cursory vendor-to-customer relationship are the ones on the Lounge, who with occasional exceptions seem like decent enough sorts.

But when I do have issues with men in the real world, they generally fall into the case of not understanding boundaries. Just because I address you pleasantly when I greet you at the theatre door doesn't mean you get to track down my home address and post a disturbing note on my door offering a proposition in which I have absolutely no interest. #metoo

The other issue is what's popularly known as the "mansplaination." You'll find few men who'll admit that this exists, but I, and every woman on the Lounge I'll wager, will tell you that it does. When I go into the NAPA to buy spark plugs or a distributor cap for the Plodge, I certainly don't need a careful explanation of how to use them from a fellow who was a zygote when I was hanging around the family gas station. I've taken to wearing my filthy, smelly overalls when I go into these places as a signal that yes, I do know what I'm doing.

As far as the toilet seat goes, leaving it up means that there's a good chance a female member of the household might very well stumble into the bathroom with the lights out one night and end up taking an unexpected and unwanted sitz bath. That's why we don't like it.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
The other issue is what's popularly known as the "mansplaination." You'll find few men who'll admit that this exists, but I, and every woman on the Lounge I'll wager, will tell you that it does. When I go into the NAPA to buy spark plugs or a distributor cap for the Plodge, I certainly don't need a careful explanation of how to use them from a fellow who was a zygote when I was hanging around the family gas station. I've taken to wearing my filthy, smelly overalls when I go into these places as a signal that yes, I do know what I'm doing.

Something like this?

upload_2017-11-4_16-33-30.png

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The only real interactions that I jave with the opposite sex are usually the waitresses at my favourite restaurant. I haven't been on a date since Spider Man 3 came out & the last time a woman seemed interested in me someone else had to point it out after the fact. I guess I'm ehat they call an incel.

As for the toilet seat, i always put the lid down. The reason is 2 fold. The firat is its more hygenic. The second is if I didn't my late cat Steel would take a drink out of it.

The idea that "mansplaining" is something unique to men is a ridiculous concept. If I had a nickel for every time a woman condescendingly explained to me how to boil water, when I've been in the kitchen every night for close to half a century, I'd have a lot of nickels. I usually ask them if they know what a meripoix is, and they get the message pretty quick. Not to mention the well documented public perception that men are just big dumb galoots who need to be led around by the nose or they'll hurt themselves (see any US family sitcom or fabric commercial). People are people, and the idea that only one side is guilty of something is not correct.

But in fact, it's documented that we do think and perceive the world differently. However, thank goodness those differences are complementary. Put a good man and a good woman together shouldering their way through life, and they can be unstoppable.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up

Coming back with a technical question, the kind where you have to have some technical knowledge to even ask it, is how I let such people know I'm not some dippy blonde. And the look on their face is priceless.

E="Frunobulax, post: 2322893, member: 34862"]The idea that "mansplaining" is something unique to men is a ridiculous concept. If I had a nickel for every time a woman condescendingly explained to me how to boil water, when I've been in the kitchen every night for close to half a century, I'd have a lot of nickels. I usually ask them if they know what a meripoix is, and they get the message pretty quick. Not to mention the well documented public perception that men are just big dumb galoots who need to be led around by the nose or they'll hurt themselves (see any US family sitcom or fabric commercial). People are people, and the idea that only one side is guilty of something is not correct.

But in fact, it's documented that we do think and perceive the world differently. However, thank goodness those differences are complementary. Put a good man and a good woman together shouldering their way through life, and they can be unstoppable.[/QUOTE]
I like to think I approach the world with an attitude of grace. So if I am in a fabric store and treated like a fabric imbecile I accept it in grace....they are not demeaning me merely trying to be helpful. I realize a man in a fabric store is likely as rare as a female in an auto parts store. Maybe in each case they are just being as helpful as they can. Accept graciously be it male or females

Well, OK, I'll play along.

I actually don't have all that many dealings with The Opposite Sex in the real world. My workplace is almost entirely female, as are all my close real-world friends, and I've been living on my own for fifteen years come next May. Even my cat is a girl. Most of the men I deal with beyond a cursory vendor-to-customer relationship are the ones on the Lounge, who with occasional exceptions seem like decent enough sorts.

But when I do have issues with men in the real world, they generally fall into the case of not understanding boundaries. Just because I address you pleasantly when I greet you at the theatre door doesn't mean you get to track down my home address and post a disturbing note on my door offering a proposition in which I have absolutely no interest. #metoo

As far as the toilet seat goes, leaving it up means that there's a good chance a female member of the household might very well stumble into the bathroom with the lights out one night and end up taking an unexpected and unwanted sitz bath. That's why we don't like it.
My wife and i have separate washroons....I get to pee on the seat if I wish...problem ...what problem?

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Jimmy, Jimmy.... isn't he the best?...love those times and ways and everything :p have no problem with the past here.:D None at all!

The wording on that Cagney meme of mine really originated as a teasing bit that a friend of mine pulled on his wife- to her mild annoyance. He said that he envisioned "some old time movie star" saying it, and I immediately thought of Cagney or Bogart... but decided that Bogey was always more sophisticated with the ladies, even when he was playing the lout. (I should note that he's a sensitive and appreciative husband who'd never say that to his wife with any element of serious intent. )

I was watching "White Heat" a few weeks ago, and decided that Cody Jarrett is eliminated as one Cagney character who'd ever deliver those lines. Anyone who tells his wife (regarding a criminal cohort), "Let him get his own coffee! My wife doesn't wait on anyone!" isn't going to dispatch her to the kitchen to serve up sandwiches for the boys.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112