Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The golden era of night clubs

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My late wife used to go to the Latin Quarter regularly (before I met her) and that really sounds like the last of the real New York night clubs. It was owned by Barbara Walters' father, and that's where she learned how to hobnob with celebs. A lot of my Swing Dance friends used to go there. Sounds like a wonderful joint. Just missed it. I was at the original Copa Cabana once in 1979. Didn't knock my socks off, but it was way past its heyday at that point. The big clubs of today just aren't in the same universe with the old places.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I just read a sampling of these great reviews, both the clubs and the other page with the entertainers. Wonderful wonderful, wonderful. Fascinating, absorbing, tantalizing.

The research for my book has been brutal. Reading the old newspaper columns, seeing the advertisements, you realize it's all gone and never to return. Orchestras, dancers, ice shows. Ice shows? My only hope is to do the era justice and have a few laughs along the way.

Regards,

Senator Jack

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Check out musicals101.com. Talk about gone! Try to imagine the popular theaters of New York maybe 1860 or earlier. There was a theater that held over 3,000, all columns like the Polo Grounds, that had huge "burlesques". In those days burlesque meant a parody of an existing "legitimate" show. The only thing I've ever seen that evoked it was the theater scene in "Gangs of New York".

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack said:
The research for my book has been brutal. Reading the old newspaper columns, seeing the advertisements, you realize it's all gone and never to return. Orchestras, dancers, ice shows. Ice shows? My only hope is to do the era justice and have a few laughs along the way.

Regards,

Senator Jack
I'm sure you've made other posts, but please, what's the book about? Sounds very cool.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
That's a great site Senator Jack, put me down for a copy of your book when it is ready!

If time travel were possible visiting clubs like those would be high on my "to do" list. Elegance, good music, dancing, conversation--what bliss.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
A good friend of mine just published the authorized biography if Frankie Manning. It took her ten years of research, and three years to write. Just so you'll know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk