Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Golden Era Props

Imahomer

Practically Family
Although I'm at a loss as to what other props might be added to this cool web site, I am a little surprised that there are currently only three props listed there.

Doesn't anyone have any suggestions?

CoffeeDude

One of the Regulars
How about a copy of Tom Sawyer from It's a Wonderful Life with Clarence's note inside the front cover

"Dear George,
Remember no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings!
Love Clarence."

Imahomer

Practically Family
Originally posted by CoffeeDude
How about a copy of Tom Sawyer from It's a Wonderful Life with Clarence's note inside the front cover

"Dear George,
Remember no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings!
Love Clarence."

Wow. That's a great idea for a prop. It's definately one of my very favorite all time movies. I don't know if it would rate to make it with those other top props, but that is a very cool idea!

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
Okay, how about a walking stick with a silver wolf's head and a pentagram in a circle, which plays a crucial role in "The Wolf Man?" The legendary Bob Burns has the remnants of the foam rubber head that was used for the scene in which Claude Rains bludgeons Lon Chaney Jr., not realizing it's his son. Trivia: at the time it was reported that 5'7" Rains really beat the hell out of 6'1", 220-lb Chaney, bloodying his face, while shooting the scene.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Originally posted by MK
Bob Burns is a good man....and a friend. He has shown that piece to me before. I will have to take some good photos of it.

I for one would love to see some photos of it. That walking stick is a classic for those of us who remember Lon Chaney Jr. as the wolf man. I'd be very interested to see just what the original stick looks like.

Imahomer

Practically Family
I know MK is out of the country for a while, but I really hope when he finds time, he can get a photo or two of this stick. I was just looking at one on Ebay and I'm curious as to how well it matches up against the real deal.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Originally posted by Michael Mallory
Okay, how about a walking stick with a silver wolf's head and a pentagram in a circle, which plays a crucial role in "The Wolf Man?" The legendary Bob Burns has the remnants of the foam rubber head that was used for the scene in which Claude Rains bludgeons Lon Chaney Jr., not realizing it's his son. Trivia: at the time it was reported that 5'7" Rains really beat the hell out of 6'1", 220-lb Chaney, bloodying his face, while shooting the scene.

Well, I haven't pickedup a prop in a while and this one is just too good to pass on. Since I've been grounded for a while, I'm going to look around and research this.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
No offense to Mister Mallory but that walking stick was a bit large and awkward looking. I agree with Larry Talbot, it could be used for a putter.
However, the charm that the gypsy woman gave to Larry and Larry gave to Gwen would be a good prop. I found a photo of it in library book some years ago and made a copy out of nickle silver. I think my copy came out too big. It has the running wolf in the pentagram design that is also on the walking stick. They give a good shot of it superimposed over Larry's face while he's going out of his mind. It's about 41 minutes into the movie. Now that "The Wolf Man" is on DVD you (anyone interested) can get a clear picture of it.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Originally posted by The Wolf
No offense to Mister Mallory but that walking stick was a bit large and awkward looking. I agree with Larry Talbot, it could be used for a putter.
However, the charm that the gypsy woman gave to Larry and Larry gave to Gwen would be a good prop. I found a photo of it in library book some years ago and made a copy out of nickle silver. I think my copy came out too big. It has the running wolf in the pentagram design that is also on the walking stick. They give a good shot of it superimposed over Larry's face while he's going out of his mind. It's about 41 minutes into the movie. Now that "The Wolf Man" is on DVD you (anyone interested) can get a clear picture of it.

I'll have to check that out. You're right, that would be a nice prop too!:cool2:

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Imahomer,
Quick, go on e-bay under "Wolfman Silver Cane Top & Medallion Props" for pictures and statistics on the very props of which spoke (wrote?).
I guess that goes for anyone interested, really.

Blackjack

One Too Many
There are several cheap and I mean cheap knockoffs of the wolf cane floating around right now mainly on Ebay. These are poorly made resin copies that have been sculpted off pictures. If you want an exact copy of the cane wax master Henry Alveraz of Hollywood made a cast of the original prop on loan from Bob Burns and created three different versions he had for sale. One was a resin copy which I don't think all that much of but is affordable (probably in the $50.00 range) the second being a silver plated brass cast of just the cane head mounted on a marble base. I think they were about $500.00. The last was the Holy Grail of horror, a solid silver cast (about 3 lbs of sterling) mounted on an ebony wood cane with a silver tip. The last was done as a very limited run and can be seen being held by director John Landis in the documentary "Monsters in Moonlight" off the Wolf Man DVD. It is stunning. Thats the one I bought several years ago as an investment. I'll have to see if it turns out. If I had any clue how to post a picture of it on here I would be more than glad to.

Imahomer

Practically Family
I'd really like to see some photos. With the price of silver being what it is, you wouldn't really expect it to cost an arm and a leg, but... :cry: I'm sure it does.

I'd love to see some photos of yours! :cool2:

LuckyLighter

Familiar Face
A couple of ideas that just came to me are the sled and the snowglobe from Citizen Kane , the picture of Jennie from The Portrait of Jennie , the picture of Laura from Laura , the Tin Man's oil can from The Wizard of Oz .

How about the briefcase full of plutonium from Kiss Me, Deadly , which could also double as the briefcase from Pulp Fiction .

I always thought a neat prop would be the crate the Nazis use for the Ark in Raiders .

floatinjoe

Familiar Face
It's taken me awhile to drift over here from COW, but I finally made it.

I know that these props are very similar to the Raiders Idol, but what about the Skulls of Toganda from "The Phantom". I have always wanted to get my hands on a set of repros of these. I've never seen any offered anywhere, and even on the couple Phantom forums I'm on, no one's heard of anyone making these.

I think it would be pretty cool to get these, especially if you could get all three (silver, gold and jade).

If anyone out there knows of any, or decides to make these, please let me know. I'd really like to pickup a set.

Mike

Imahomer

Practically Family
Yep, the Phantom skulls would be very cool if done nicely. I'm not on a quest to find them, but I look at a lot of props trying to find the "right" ones for my collection. I've never seen those either, because I'd probably jump on them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana