The Good News Thread

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by PrettySquareGal, Aug 7, 2011.

1. PrettySquareGal

PrettySquareGal My Mail is Forwarded Here

Lots of bad news out there. Gloom and doom.

What's good with you today? Did you find something great this past weekend? Make a new friend? Find a wrinkle cream that really works? :eek:

2. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

Yesterday, I made my first ever tiramisu. It was declared a resounding and delicious success by my father, who suggested I give it a shot (in preparation for making another tiramisu, which I'm taking to a family gathering in a couple of weeks' time).

[​IMG]

This is literally my first attempt in making one.

Does it look like a delicious success?

3. PrettySquareGal

What a great-looking "experiment!" Glad it was a success! Was it fun to make? I've been thinking more about baking once the weather gets cooler!

4. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

Hi,

Yes it was a lot of fun to make. Tricky and somewhat labour intensive, but fun nonetheless. Building up the layers and laying on the cream and cocoa powder and trying to make it look PERFECT!

The wonderful thing about tiramisu of course, is that it doesn't need baking. Just refrigeration (preferrably overnight for best flavour, so I have discovered).

5. PrettySquareGal

Oh, ha! Obviously I've never made a Tiramisu! That sounds like a fun challenge!

6. lolly_loisides

lolly_loisides One Too Many

Shangas that looks delish (Btw autocorrect wants to change shangas to aha gas). Can you pm me your recipe? Ok, good news, looks like I'll be back in LA for New Years. I'm very happy about that.

7. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

Hi Lolly. Will do.

8. C-dot

C-dot Call Me a Cab

I haven't made a tiramisu in such a long time... I'm inspired again :D That one looks delicious!

My good news: Today I'm going to do something I've wanted to do since I was a child... Go to Build-a-Bear! I never grew out of teddy bears and since I first saw that shop, I wanted to go. I didn't for various reasons, but I've got a milestone birthday coming up soon and doggone it, I'm going to do it!!

9. As I write this I'm on my way out the door to go to a Hot Wheels collectors' show. I hope to pick up a few goodies. :)

10. sheeplady

sheeplady I'll Lock Up Bartender

I am going to see a good girl friend on Monday or Tuesday, whom I haven't seen in 6 months and don't see nearly enough. We always have a great time together. :)

Oh, and our garden is looking wonderful! Had a homegrown stir fry last night, cooked by my husband. What's better than a home grown meal that you pick yourself and somebody else makes? ;)

I also think my kitchen remodel will soon be over. Glass half full....

11. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

I assure you, it tastes as good as it looks. My dad can't keep his hands off it.

12. Gene

Gene Practically Family

My good news is I've taken the next week off. No work is always good!

13. Gregg Axley

Gregg Axley I'll Lock Up

I got my front and back yard mowed today BEFORE it reached triple digits outside!

14. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

The Chicago Cubs have won their last seven games. :playball:

15. Kabel

Kabel Familiar Face

Well, let's say it's good news in advance, but in about two weeks (19th) I will have finished my internship and will receive my graphic design diploma. Then the looking for a real job will really kick off and I'm super excited about that.

16. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

Working full time again. ENORMOUSLY good news, no matter the pay.

17. Chas

Chas One Too Many

Congrats, man.

I bought some wickedly delish fruit yesterday. The Okanagan peaches are top-drawer this year, as are their cherries. I also picked up some amaaazing 78 rpm records in Seattle on Saturday.

18. PrettySquareGal

That's wonderful!!!!!!

19. Mr. Hallack

Mr. Hallack One of the Regulars

My wife made the BEST blueberry pie. You can brag about ones you have tried or made, but her's is the best!!

20. And indeed I did find some (mainly Golden Era type) goodies at the show! :D

[​IMG]

It even has a New Jersey licence plate lol
    [​IMG]

'36 Ford
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Model A Sedan Delivery. Blister card is signed by Larry Wood, one of Mattel's original Hot Wheels designers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A view of the show
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011