The Grail!! Found an Irvin that fits.

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Lord Flashheart, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart A-List Customer

After many years of looking for an Irvin that fits the search is over. I found this size 6 Irvin in my local Millitaria shop by chance and practically took the owners arm off to get it. I'm 6'3 and been looking for years, seems most people in the early 40's were 5'6 - 5'8 so large Irvins are very thin on the ground.

Going by the number of panels I'm guessing its a late war Irvin but thats about as much as I know. Maybe one of our resident experts might be able to give me a better idea.

Please excuse the stupid grin! front.JPG back.JPG side.JPG

Garry

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Art121, bn1966, Michael A and 16 others like this.
  2. TREEMAN

TREEMAN One Too Many

GOOD FIND !!

3. Lord Flashheart

Some possible ID shots

Attached Files:

4. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

Now that is a find! But does it get cold enough down under to ever wear it? Most of the Aussies I hear from are lamenting the lack of proper jacket weather. But with a find like that, you could just put it out during your winter and look at it!

dan_t likes this.
  5. Lord Flashheart

Hi Peacoat,

I'm up in the Victorian Goldfields and it can get pretty cold up here in the winter (even for Seb Lucas), usually around 10-15 degrees. At night it is often in the minus fitures . I also have an MGB rag top which it will be perfect for in the winter months.

I also picked up a mint Peacoat at the same time which the trader claimed was circa WW2. The price he charged ($100AUD) and the tags (Stirlingwear tag in the inside pocket) do not tie up I think. I'm not worried tho, I bought the jacket as it fits like a glove and I think is Kersey wool (certainly feels like it) and has a quality feel to it. I'll post some snaps of it in the appropriate thread when I get a chance.

regards

Garry

bn1966 likes this.
  6. seres

seres A-List Customer

Great find!

7. GregGale

GregGale One of the Regulars

Nice one, and good fit! Looks like a 1942 pattern to me.

8. Lord Flashheart

What makes you think that GregGale? I'm keen to soak up all the info I can!

9. GregGale

GregGale One of the Regulars

I'm no expert at all, really, but according to the pictures I've seen the later an Irvin was made the more parts it was made of. Eastman's 3 different models seem to confirm this:

https://www.eastmanleather.com/british-flight-jackets-c-67.html

The one on the picture seem to match the middle one that is marked 1942 pattern. Then again, I may be wrong.

10. rocketeer

rocketeer Call Me a Cab

11. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

Well, now I am confused. I thought Victoria Province was down South—Melbourne?

Yes, please post the pictures of the coat as well as the tag. That way I can give some definitive info about the peacoat. Sterlingwear didn't make peacoats during the war. It came along sometime in the 60s or 70s. For a number of years it used the name "Vi Mil," for Viking Military. Viking was the company name and the "Mil" indicated the military branch of the company. This name was on the labels in the peacoats. Sometime in the 80s or 90s it went to the name of Sterlingware. It has been the supplier of peacoats to the Navy for many years. A good company with a good product.

12. aswatland

aswatland My Mail is Forwarded Here

I have posted in the Irvin thread about this 1941 Irvin Air Chute jacket.