The Great Beer Thread

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by Andykev, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Custom79

Custom79 One of the Regulars

My choices, depending on the mood.

Keith's
    Stella
    Miller High Life
    Rolling Rock

Cheers.

C79

2. fourstarbanner

fourstarbanner One of the Regulars

Landshark or Fat Tire all the way

3. Dr Doran

Dr Doran My Mail is Forwarded Here

A fine one. And the fact that a beer got named after me has never ceased to please me. (or have I used that joke already?)

4. rumblefish

rumblefish One Too Many

I had the Schneider/Brooklyn Hopfen Weisse last night. I expected it to hoppy like an IPA, but it was much more of a Hefewiesse, a very good one. Ayinger and Paulaner, being two of my favorites, now have company at the top! It had a big, persistant, foamy head and all the flavors :arated: like banana, orange rind, and lemon you'd expect from a Hefe. Went great with the pork roast my friends wife made. Do try it if you're a weiss beer fan and can find it.

5. lindylady

lindylady A-List Customer

Anyone ever try Freoch Heather ale (light, delicate, can taste the heather flowers), McEwans (dark, sweet, and creamy)? I also like Smithwick's.

6. Caroline

Caroline One of the Regulars

I'll try any heifweizen I encounter. Otherwise I don't drink many beers unless I'm at a brewery.

7. rumblefish

rumblefish One Too Many

I had the Nogne O India Pale Ale tonight. Superb! Sligthly bitter like grapefruit, and almost as viscous as a barley wine. Also lots of leftover fine yeast at the bottom of the glass. I believe I've seen a post from Smithy singing it's praise. This will certainly be a regular for me.

8. Patrick Murtha

Patrick Murtha Practically Family

This year's Samuel Adams "Longshot" six-pack, consisting of three bottles apiece of two award-winning homebrews, is a winner. The Grape Pale Ale is very subtle in itrs green grapiness --not some "loud" fruit beer -- and quite delightful; I will miss it when it is no longer available. The Weizenbock is bold and satisfying. Snap up this combo now!

9. Helen Troy

Helen Troy A-List Customer

No I have finally tried some to. Nice and refreshing, but a little too gingery for my taste.

10. Phil

Phil A-List Customer

I prefer the beer of the root variety. Namely from Walter Payton's Roundhouse in Aurora, IL.

Being in college, it's going to happen that I'm going to run into beer. Overall, I don't really drink anyways, however, when asked why I don't want a beer (which is rather rare, usually the asker will shrug and say, more beer for me) I'll often reply, "Well, if it's less than 20 sylables, it's just not good enough."

11. Smithy

Smithy I'll Lock Up

It's wonderful stuff isn't it Chris and Helen.

Pleased to hear you tracked it down, one of the nicest IPAs out there.

Pick up some other Nøgne Ø brews, they really are great drops.

12. Spitfire

Spitfire I'll Lock Up

You bet I do. No Fokker comes close!;)

13. rumblefish

rumblefish One Too Many

Patrick, have you tried the Midas Touch from Dogfish Head? Made with muscat grapes and saffron. No real hop flavor, but more of a grape skin sort of taste with a bit of the spice. In the photo of my beer cellar, some pages back, it's with the other Dogfish Head-purple label. I like very much.
    I'll keep an eye out for the Longshot.
    Edit: post #78

14. Dr Doran

Dr Doran My Mail is Forwarded Here

I do love the Smiddix. Love, love, love.

15. Patrick Murtha

Patrick Murtha Practically Family

I have not seen that one at my local retailer (although they have other Dogfish Head brews). I'll ask about it.

16. Smithy

Smithy I'll Lock Up

Those Dogfish Head brews sound interesting, shame as I don't know if they are available here.

And Chris just popped the top on a Nøgne Ø Bitter. If you're like me and like English style bitters it'll be right up your alley.

17. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Very few American micros distribute beyond our shores, in fact most have regional footprints. Though Dogfish seems to distribute nationally.

18. rumblefish

rumblefish One Too Many

Tim, I'm sure I will.
    I like the Bitters from Fischer, Foster's, and Fuller's (hmmm the three Fs) Have you had these? Comparisons?

Try and find Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout. 18% ABV, yet smooth as could be.

19. Smithy

Smithy I'll Lock Up

Been awhile since I've had Fullers or Fosters Chris.

I found it's similar to what you might get from a smaller English brewery. Fairly malty, light toffee coloured (lighter to my eyes than a lot of English style bitters), nice caramelly aftertaste.

Nice drop all in all.

20. ortega76

ortega76 Practically Family

Great stuff. I had one with a steak sammich earlier.

The wife enjoys Fat Tire. Not really a beer but I do LOVE LOVE frambois.