Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

" The Great British Hat Makers "

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Post here your Hats from " The Great British Hat Makers "

I will begin with an Hat from Lock & Co, specially made for an German retailer Hat shop Ernst Köln! Ernst, the retailer shop, is no longer in business
The felt is thin but stiff and holds the shape great, raw edge brim. My guess he is from the early 60s!

lookco3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc Mark

Familiar Face
Greetings, Folks,

I am going to try and post photos of my first Lock and Co. hat, found at a Swap Meet, for the princely sum of $15. It's actually in very good condition, but sorely in need of a cleaning and refurbishing a bit. The felt if strong, and feels very good to the hand, and the liner is really in wonderful condition. But, the sweat band has detached from the hat, and I've talked to Art Fawcett about doing his magic on this old guy to get him back up and into wearable condition again. Meant to have already sent it to Art, but business demands have kept me from it, so far. Soon, however..... So, here goes:

DSCN8319_zps8b767187.jpg

DSCN8320_zps539c7ea7.jpg

DSCN8321_zpsac4c4038.jpg

DSCN8322_zps588ea5d5.jpg

DSCN8272_zps452627b8.jpg

DSCN8271_zpsb702d363.jpg

DSCN8275_zpsf3c64d34.jpg

DSCN8266_zpse6c84517.jpg

DSCN8264_zps0bcbd9ff.jpg

DSCN8267_zpsdee86fae.jpg

I ran out of room, and so will post the next three photos as soon as these post.

So, there you have it, Friends. I like this old hat, quite a lot, actually, and it's interesting that, once I put my hat jack into it for just a bit, it now fits very well, indeed. I'm sure that this will be a wonderful hat, once Art has done what he does best to it! Thanks for viewing, and I'll be posting more hats as time passes. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Doc Mark

Familiar Face
Hi,

OK, there are the last three shots of my first Lock & Co. hat:

DSCN8270_zps78d41a5f.jpg

DSCN8273_zps34e51083.jpg

DSCN8274_zpsd5ff7e09.jpg

Thanks, again, for checking it out. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Manfred, I have a Lock & Co as well, believe it's from the 60-70's. It's was filthy when I got it so I gave it a gas bath and it turned out great. It's obviously a high quality hat. It was also too small so I took it to my local hatter who is re-blocking it into a more vintage style as well as replacing the sweat. I'll post it when it gets back. Found this quote about Lock:

A postcard was once delivered to the orignal Lock & Co. store addressed simply to "The best hatters in the world, London." Established in 1676 to wait upon the Court at St. James, Lock & Co. is now known across the globe for its superior hats.

Still in business:

http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/

P.S. It looks just like yours Doc and was also sold by Brooks Bros.

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Mike, thanks for the Info! I cant await photos of you Lock & Co. They are indeed very well made Hats with a very good felt!
You feel, the british restraint / conservative in this hats

Doc Mark

Familiar Face
Greetings, Manfred, Mike, and All,

Thanks, very much, Gentlemen! I've found, in my short time here, that good hats are "infectious", and it's very hard to stop trying to seek them out and buy them! I tend to wear mine often, and get compliments and comments most all the time, which is fun! Here is the second Lock & Co. hat that I found. It's a bit later, I'm guessing, then the black Homburg, and feels completely differently. The felt is VERY soft, and buttery, and there is no liner, at all. Manfred, this hat looks very much like yours, but yours has a lovely liner, whilst mine only has the sticker underneath the inside of the crown. Looks like it was actually offered that way, but hey, maybe at one time, mine had a liner, too. Who knows? This one fits me already, though the crown is a tad short for my liking. Still, it feels good, and after a good brushing, should do just fine in use. So, here goes:

DSCN8276_zps00d1332d.jpg

DSCN8277_zps7e8f5cf9.jpg

DSCN8325_zps73735e74.jpg

DSCN8280_zpsd6850f2b.jpg

DSCN8282_zps77b7e058.jpg

DSCN8289_zps081f113a.jpg

DSCN8292_zpsd070707c.jpg

DSCN8293_zps86d61c6e.jpg

DSCN8286_zpsebedfc78.jpg

DSCN8284_zps6c9153b9.jpg

Nice hat, though, again, not as old as the black Lock & Co.. It's going to get it's share of wear, that's for sure. I don't know about dating info for this hat, but I'm assuming it's quite a bit later than the first Lock hat. I also have no idea what "100% Fine Fur Felt" means, but I'm thinking it's not 100% beaver, but rather a blend of fur felts. Sound right? I'd certainly buy more Lock & Co. hats, if any come my way, and fit. They are worth owning and wearing, me thinks! Thanks for checking it out, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
you are right Doc, the shape is different, my shape is 6143 but the color is the same Sable.
What a coincidence. This color ist great! Very nice Hat Doc.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rabbit is definitely true if the words don't mention beaver. But rabbit fur can be really good. There's nothing wrong with that. Anyway, most hats are rabbit fur, and we don't have to worry about running out of them.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Manfred, how about widening the scope of this thread to vintage British hatmakers in general, and re-naming it accordingly?

Edward

Bartender
Rabbit is definitely true if the words don't mention beaver. But rabbit fur can be really good. There's nothing wrong with that. Anyway, most hats are rabbit fur, and we don't have to worry about running out of them.

Plus rabbit fur is a by-product of the pet food industry, so it's environmentally responsible. ;)

I was past Lock's yesterday, though alas the day I can afford to shop in there seems far off yet.... I have my eye on a beautiful fawn Homberg in their window. In my daydreams of late I go in and buy one of those, before wandering up the road and round the corner to Bates and picking up one of their beaver fedoras in a pale blue....sigh....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB