Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Outdoors...{hat wise}

RBH

Bartender
I have tried to find a recent photo of a Loungers custom made hat.
I had no luck.
I cant remember the Hatter or member. But I think the hat was based on an old hat that the Lounger had. I believe it to be a Stetson, a Bear Creek, Moose River or Three Forks.
That said, I believe that a thread with our 'outdoors' style hats would be beneficial.
So I open up the field with two of mine.

First my custom Buckaroo Hatters 'Outdoorsman'.

DiU307.jpg

Next up, an old Beaver Brand fedora that has been on many a trail!!

Wlmdq4.jpg

Duck

Practically Family
I had no luck.
I cant remember the Hatter or member. But I think the hat was based on an old hat that the Lounger had. I believe it to be a Stetson, a Bear Creek, Moose River or Three Forks.
That said, I believe that a thread with our 'outdoors' style hats would be beneficial.

DiU307.jpg

Wlmdq4.jpg
Great idea for a thread!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

RJR

I had no luck.

DiU307.jpg

Wlmdq4.jpg
Good move.

My submission probably isn't strictly what RBH had in mind when he started this thread, but more than simply being an "outdoors" style these hats were originally made for the specific purpose of being worn outdoors to protect the wearers from the elements. So from the low-budget end of the spectrum, the original Real Deal Brazil tarp hat. Made from recycled cotton canvas truck tarps that have outlived their purpose on Brazilian roads, their somewhat ragged appearance is intentional and the weathering is not only genuine, but makes each hat somewhat unique.

aJZ3EG3.jpg

Wire in the brim (also recycled from truck tires) helps to hold it's shape, but they're shipped with flat brims so you can shape it to your preference (within reason, of course). I do wish the crown was a little taller because my head barely fits, but it's a lightweight and comfortable hat even in summer heat and humidity. The one drawback is that they don't float, so if you're near a large body of water or on a boat and the wind blows it into the water, it'll sink like a rock (adjustable leather wind/chin strap sold separately). It's also not particularly stylish unless you like the "beater" look, but it's a great casual knockaround hat that can be worn while gardening, accompanying the wife to the County Fair, or horseback riding through the Alaskan wilderness as I did in 2011. :D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch