the hat friendly world

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Oldsarge, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Oldsarge

Oldsarge One Too Many

I'm up here in Portland, OR visiting my daughter and exploring the possibility of relocating here because I've had about all the heat and drought of SoCal that I can stand. Today we went to the Portland Art Museum to see a truly wonderful exhibit of the golden age of Venice's art and music. Wonder of wonders, you can actually check a hat here! Better yet, when we went to lunch at Jake's Crawfish they have hat and coat racks on every booth. I like Portland already!

2. Blackthorn

Blackthorn I'll Lock Up

Sounds like my kind of town!

3. Florida_Marlin

Florida_Marlin One of the Regulars

Went to Portland in 2011. ate at Jake's. Proudly hung my hat and jacket on the racks at the table. If a restaurant goes through the trouble to give me a place to put my hat, I'll do it!

4. skydog757

skydog757 A-List Customer

I would love to see more of this everywhere. I'm really tired of having to sit my hat and coat next to me in a booth and hope that they don't slide to the floor. I don't leave them up front if I can't see them from where I'm going to sit. Resturants don't check hats/coats and won't take responsability if someone walks off with a $200 fedora.

5. fedoracentric

fedoracentric Banned

I thought it rained every day in Oregon?
    ;)

6. Oldsarge

Oldsarge One Too Many

There's rain and then there's RAIN. What passes for rain in Portland a Californian would call a heavy drizzle. It doesn't rain often in SoCal but when it does we get 'bout half washed out to sea. The rain up here doesn't even justify a slicker or an umbrella, at least as far as I've seen. A tweed jacket and a well-made fedora or tweed cap and you're good to go. It would be strange living somewhere you never have to water the yard . . .

7. ingineer

ingineer One Too Many

That depends on where on Oregon you live.
    There are 3 different climates there.
    On the west where my brother lives near Seaside , very wet , rainforest like.
    Then further east, the rain is hindered by the mountains.
    Then further east, almost desert clime , again precipitation hindered by mountains.
    Richard

8. Oldsarge

Oldsarge One Too Many

And for those who don't know, Portland is in the second part. And guys, Portland is to craft beer as Seattle is to coffee! Good stuff? Man!

9. bendingoak

bendingoak Vendor

It's more grey in the Portland area then rain. Try the horse brass pub so many different a beers then you can imagine.

10. Joao Encarnado

Joao Encarnado I'll Lock Up

Almost looks like my country.

11. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

I've visited Portland four times over the years, maybe twenty days total. Never saw the sun. Lack of sunlight is such a quality of life issue for me and it can't be mitigated by any amount of beer or coffee. Nice place to visit though.:)

12. ingineer

ingineer One Too Many

13. Blackthorn

Blackthorn I'll Lock Up

I didn't know there were problems that couldn't be mitigated by beer or coffee. Stop, you're scaring me! :eeek::eeek:

14. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Don't worry, that's the only one. ;)

15. Blackthorn

Blackthorn I'll Lock Up

:D

16. TheDane

TheDane Call Me a Cab

Tequila Sunrise? :cool:

17. CaramelSmoothie

CaramelSmoothie Practically Family

A few months ago I acquired a vintage early 50s hat from an old Portland store called Meier and Frank.

18. Edward

Edward Bartender

You're obviously my karmic balance on the weather front.... If I had the money to just travel as I pleased, I'd spend the year circling the globe to avoid Summer. If I was to turn vampire (at least in the Hollywood conception of the same), never seeing the sun again would be one of the attractions of the deal, rather than a downside...

19. Oldsarge

Oldsarge One Too Many

After sixty-seven years in SoCal, I've had about all the hot and dry I can stand. Let there be RAIN! It wouldn't come to us this year (again!) so we decided to go visit it. And since I've always enjoyed SoCal 'winter' this suits me just fine. And it's the ideal climate for bonsai . . . :cool:

20. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

You have no idea. For some reason, all culture seems to evaporate in the tropics, and bare chests and bongos is about as far as it goes. Just the other day, I wheedled a free trip to Salzburg, and I can't wait.