Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The hat seller of the Golden Era?

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
Seems a little bit strange, but does someone know a famous or the most famous hat seller or store of the 1930s and 40s. Something like the best shop to where one could have bought hats in the good old days, or was it so usual to buy hats, that there are no special stores known for having everything and best service and that?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Interesting question. I think you mean a great golden era retailer, right?

Probably every major city in the '30s & '40s had such a store. Some big cities probably had several. In Detroit, J.L. Hudson's was the mega-department store - it took up a city block and had several stories - with a major menswear/hat selection. I have a couple hats that originally sold there. My mom used to work in a clerical position there and my father sold menswear. One day he noticed this pretty brunette with blue eyes coming to work and the rest is history...

Some customers would have, then as now, preferred smaller shops specifically devoted to hats with more intimate settings. I have another hat from my old home town with "Mel's Style Shop - Detroit" imprinted on the sweatband. Sounds like a nice little place.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
John Wannamaker and Montgomery Ward are some of the department store names I see most often on nice vintage hats. Of course, I live between Chicago and Philly, so it makes sense. When Cleveland hats show up, they're most often from Halle Brothers.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tomasso said:
In America there was no shop with a bigger name than Worth & Worth.
Uh... On what do you base this big assertion? I don't believe I have
ever seen a hat from the 30s or 40s bearing their name or mention or
photograph of their store from that period. Certainly by the time I
visited their 5th Ave store it wasn't impressive and what they have
now less so.

What I see on the old hats is the names of department stores, as has
been pointed out. The Hub, Bullock's, Waymire, Marshall Fields, etc.
Borsalinos from Italy came from dedicated hat stores. Some hats
here did, too, but less commonly. Except, of course, Adam hats,
because they retailed directly. If I had been on 5th Ave in the 40s, I
probably would have preferred to go to the Cavanagh store over Worth and Worth. Sigh.

pplepic

Familiar Face
Golden Era Haberdashers

When I was a kid in Portland, Oregon, John Helmer Haberdashers was already a household name.
I always stopped and admired the hats in the window, although I was too young and poor to own one. The store is still going today, but I don't believe they always have the same choices in brands, sizes, etc. as they used to.
I believe that they're over 80 years old. They have a website as well.:)

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
pplepic said:
When I was a kid in Portland, Oregon, John Helmer Haberdashers was already a household name.
I always stopped and admired the hats in the window, although I was too young and poor to own one. The store is still going today, but I don't believe they always have the same choices in brands, sizes, etc. as they used to.
I believe that they're over 80 years old. They have a website as well.:)
Interesting site. I note they have a link back to this forum, but
the link is incorrect. They look to be a useful resource for Portland.

This is an easy one. I have several old hats with the Kleinhans label in it. They were one of the largest hat sellers in the area at that time. The place had been around since 1893 and was located in the Brisbane building in Buffalo New York.
06.jpg

Here is a picture of the building in 1895. The building is still there but I don't know what became of Kleinhans or when. The founder died in 1934. I know they made it through the 40s and 50s as I have several examples of their wares. :D Oh wait, I found an article that said "Kleinhans Co., a men's specialty clothing store, which was a Buffalo institution for 97 years." So they were in business until 1990! Wow!:D

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
If I'm not mistaken, Batsakes Hat also experienced Golden Era right? When Gus Miller was still young? Well, at least when his uncle was still in charge?

analogist

One of the Regulars
Golden Era Hatters

In New York City, John Rubinacci was a custom hatter from the 1920's until he passed away in the 80's.

He called me when he retired to come up to his shop for a farewell gift. It was a greenish grey fedora which I still have unworn in its original box. It is quite nice.

I had several friends back then who were from Ecuador and whenever they came to New York, they would have John construct and block the Montecristi
bodies they brought with him.

Rubinacci was called by many Hatmaker to Presidents although I had never met any while at his shop at 100 Fifth Avenue.

analogist

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Tomasso said:
In America there was no shop with a bigger name than Worth & Worth.

feltfan said:
Uh... On what do you base this big assertion?
I thought that this was common knowledge...... but back in the Golden Era if you were in London you would see Lock & Company; in New York you would see Worth & Worth. Not the biggest firms, nor possibly the best but certainly the most well known in their respective countries.

Of course I'm speaking of hat shops, not haberdashers, department stores or manufactures.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Kleinhan's is another one of those sad stories from rust belt America. The building is stiil there, but certainly not in use as a store. I believe it's one of many absolutely gorgeous Golden Age buildings in downtown Buffalo just sitting there, waiting for the first half of the 20th century to come around again. Buffalo was a grand city in its heyday, and now it's in truly desperate shape. It sill has so much to offer, but sadly, there are not many takers.
The family gave its name to Kleinhan's Music Hall, one of the very greatest concert halls in America. It was built in 1940, one of the first and finest modern concert halls. It's still magnificent, and still home to the very fine Buffalo Philharmonic.
I think I have a vintage tie from Kleinhan's.
"Kleinhan's, yes Kleinhan's,
Men's clothes of quality.
Kleinhan's, yes Kleinhan's,
A difference you can see."
(I forget the rest . . .)

dhermann1 said:
Kleinhan's is another one of those sad stories from rust belt America. The building is stiil there, but certainly not in use as a store. I believe it's one of many absolutely gorgeous Golden Age buildings in downtown Buffalo just sitting there, waiting for the first half of the 20th century to come around again. Buffalo was a grand city in its heyday, and now it's in truly desperate shape. It sill has so much to offer, but sadly, there are not many takers.
The family gave its name to Kleinhan's Music Hall, one of the very greatest concert halls in America. It was built in 1940, one of the first and finest modern concert halls. It's still magnificent, and still home to the very fine Buffalo Philharmonic.
I think I have a vintage tie from Kleinhan's.
"Kleinhan's, yes Kleinhan's,
Men's clothes of quality.
Kleinhan's, yes Kleinhan's,
A difference you can see."
(I forget the rest . . .)

The building is indeed quite a sight to behold. The details are what makes it great. The mouldings and even the door knobs were very nicely done.
I am glad the Music Hall is still there. I think the Kleinhans donated $800,000 in the 30s to get the project going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana