Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The hats of Mulholland Falls

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
I did a search and couldn't find anything so I don't know if this subject has been posted:

Watching the movie Mulholland Falls with superstar line-up Nick Nolte, Chris Penn, Michael Madsen, Chazz Palmintieri, John Malkovich and the ever so lovely Jennifer Connely, I was salivating seeing the wonderful production-design. This must be a dream for every production designer, trying to capture the mood, look and feel of a certain era.. allthough I couldn't help feeling I was watching an onscreen graphic-novel with a pretty straightforward storyline rather than a really dramatic piece with layers of psychological depth, developing characters etc. etc. but that doesn't matter, that's highly subjective... hey, I like comics too.. Nick Nolte and Chazz play characters with a certain scense of depth that even moved me .. but that's kinda :eek:fftopic: I don't know how period-accurate the clothing really was, but that doesn't interest me really, because the suits, the hats, it looked all very very well constructed and very very tasteful to me, almost too tasteful. The colourmanagement is, to my eyes, really well done, but all this classy dressing-up made it hard for me to experience it as realistic.. too designed.. (It could have something to do with the fact that the four 'hero's' are a commando-elite that stands apart from the regular policedepartment.. ) but besides that, All that I love to see in a movie was there: the cars, the clothing, the hats, the interior design, everything.

Now, I was wondering if anyone knows who the hat-supplier was for this film.. any clues? I don't know for sure, but the hats looked modern-retro's. I suppose it's the better alternative to have a few modern hats that fit on all the lead-characters than to let them wear museum-pieces...But if anybody could tell me differently, that those hats were actually genuinely vintage..
Could it be that the hats were supplied by one of the obvious custom-hatters who have been mentioned many times here on the forum..

And could some of the knowledgable loungers comment on the period-correctness of clothing in this film..

I'm just curious, that's all.

Oh, and I can't wait to see Public Enemies.. it's hitting the theaters this thursday here in Holland.. mmm..

mulholland_falls.jpg
828.jpg
8xlgrl.jpg

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

I read somewhere in this forum that Art Fawcett provided Nolte's hat, although I do not remember if it was a custom new hat, or a vintage piece; Art has supplied vintage hats to period movies in the past.

The actors's hats look pristine, too new, possibly, as you have already noted. In modern movies the hats, frequently, are not vintage, but newly made, and often lack the feel, the "lived in" appearance of the hats of yesteryear, with had not-so-perfect creases, and those little details of a garment that looks like it is really used regularly.

Regarding Public Enemies, it will open in August 14th here in Spain... :rage:

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Hi Torpedo,

I suspected mr. Fawcett for contributing to this movie.. and yes, that's exactly what I meant, the hats look so new.. There's only one scene where the Nick Nolte character interrogates the Andrew McArthy character and goes nuts, crushing his hat in a terrible rage, throwing it at his partner.. That hat actually has some dents and the folded ribbon is also a bit crumpled as well.. it's the only hat left with 'character' after some serious abuse.. lol

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I had alot of Vintage hats in this film Djgo, but not all so I can't speak specifically for each character. It's possible the Costumer had some made but I don't think so. I was not making hats when this was filmed but I CAN say that virtually everything in it is authentic in age and true vintage. Believe it or not, it's much cheaper to use vintage than build a wardrobe for each character. A suit ( vintage) would rent for under $100 but to build one in Hollywood would be $1500 at least so I can say this with confidence.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Art Fawcett said:
I had alot of Vintage hats in this film Djgo, but not all so I can't speak specifically for each character. It's possible the Costumer had some made but I don't think so. I was not making hats when this was filmed but I CAN say that virtually everything in it is authentic in age and true vintage. Believe it or not, it's much cheaper to use vintage than build a wardrobe for each character. A suit ( vintage) would rent for under $100 but to build one in Hollywood would be $1500 at least so I can say this with confidence.

Wonderfully done! :eusa_clap Wow! thank you for the inside-information.. I believe you on the cost-effectiveness of vintage wardrobe. But almost all key wardrobe oozed 'NOS'... I personally like that very much, a clean-cut look.. The hats were magnificent, they looked unworn.. together with the immaculate suits this gave the characters a bigger than life appearance..

I'm glad you shed a little light on my questions.. I just couln't really believe that, even when hollywood filmbudgets are usually bigger than in the Netherlands, all the key-characters in such a period-movie wear MTM-suits.. It seems logical to go vintage. I guess quality vintage wardrobe is more readily available in the States.

Thank you sir! any movies for you to work on coming up? ;)

Bama Mike

Familiar Face
This film gets mentioned by a few of the crew in a thread that is along the lines of film hats that inspired you or some title along those lines. I went to the World Hats Mart in Pasadena after watching this in either VHS or DVD in the around 1998-99 and bought my first fedora a Stetson Sovreign because of this fim.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I Have a copy myself . I liked the film. Most of the boys are wearing the "Bold Look" right? Chaz seems to have a more 30s inspired vest right?

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
cookie said:
I Have a copy myself . I liked the film. Most of the boys are wearing the "Bold Look" right? Chaz seems to have a more 30s inspired vest right?

I think I've seen pics of Chris Penn wearing three different hats in this film. But my favorite is Michael Madsen's - looks like an old Borsalino fresh out of the Optimo box.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Bama Mike said:
It's been such a long time since I've posted here but my hat interest has picked back up after a little vacation and I was browsing the site. Anyway, here's a link to an article about the LAPD Hat Squad. These guys were the inspiration for the movie, Mulholland Falls. Been a while since I've posted a link so hopefully one of these will work.

http://www.lapd.com/assets/Hat_Squad_LA_Tiimes.pdf

http://www.lapd.com/assets/Hat_Squad_LA_Tiimes.pdf

Wow, thanks for the link. This is interesting stuff, I didn't even know about the existence of a 'Hat Squad'.. I also found a graphic novel roughly based on this LAPD elite-force: Jay Faerber's Moonstone Noir: The Hatsquad..

:)

Justdog

Practically Family
Falls

Glad you revived this thread. I was thinking of posting this film but figured it was here somewhere. I think it was impeccable. These guys were tight and seemed to love spiffing up. They did it with awesome style. It seemed they were used to and comfortable in what they were wearing. Not costuming but part of their character. I loved the Malkovich hat , looked like a larger brim San Antonio. Right in league with Chinatown. Huston s OR

paulg

New in Town
Hi,

I read somewhere in this forum that Art Fawcett provided Nolte's hat, although I do not remember if it was a custom new hat, or a vintage piece; Art has supplied vintage hats to period movies in the past.

The actors's hats look pristine, too new, possibly, as you have already noted. In modern movies the hats, frequently, are not vintage, but newly made, and often lack the feel, the "lived in" appearance of the hats of yesteryear, with had not-so-perfect creases, and those little details of a garment that looks like it is really used regularly.

Regarding Public Enemies, it will open in August 14th here in Spain... :rage:

The hat maker for Mulholland Falls was Dave Brown Hatters in Rochester, NY. He is the best. He has made hats for the new HBO series also Boardwalk Empire.

As mentioned above, these hats have a correctness to their look for the period.

In some films it seems the the costumer doesn't attempt to get the period right with the style of hat but simply goes to the local hat shop and gets for the time period of the film, current production. Up until a few short years ago most of the mainstream hats seemed to be stuck in a style that was maybe from the late sixties or early seventies? The brim and crown was not appropriate for a lot of period movies. So now and then you'd see such a hat appear in a film and many Loungers will say that hat is out of place for this film!

As a film Mulholland Falls works for me quite well. I like that it brings a number of characters together by revealing the frailty of their human nature and also the support others bring to them in their relationships.

I like Jennifer Connelly in this film she simply sizzles thru the home movies. She was a stand out for me also in the Rocketeer. The makeup people can make her appear spot on for the period because she has the right kind of face.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I agree, but the men characters to me were not very period. They had to represent manly action without the easy presence of the actors of another era - Mitchum, Widmark, Lancaster, etc - because that presence was so much a product of their time. Now we have to choose, and they had to choose the action side.

In the earlier thread I alluded to the way the characters wear their hats - dead level and low. That is a manifestation of what I'm talking about. Those hats can't go back, or to the side, or have a workaday bash. Today's actors couldn't bring that look off and still look badass and iconic to an audience whose touchstones are Clint Eastwood and The Godfather.

Last edited:

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
The hat maker for Mulholland Falls was Dave Brown Hatters in Rochester, NY. He is the best. He has made hats for the new HBO series also Boardwalk Empire.

THank you for sharing this info Paulg but your statement is a bit broad. Many films use many hatters so the statement that Mr. Brown is THE hatter is misleading. I personally had several hundred hats in the film so it is inaccurate.

I also had several hundred in "Road to Perdition" yet am aware that Mr. Brown made at least one for the Hanks character. Since Optimo ALSO made at least 60 for the leads, you could hardly call Mr Brown THE hatter for that film. I know, you didn't, but wanted to show that more than one hatter on a film is common.

Mulceber

Practically Family
He is the best. He has made hats for the new HBO series also Boardwalk Empire.

Is it just me, or does it seem annoying that every once in a while, somebody - typically a person with a very low post count - comes in here and starts making broad sweeping statements about a given custom hatter? I remember about a year ago there was some guy who was claiming that nobody could make hats as well as Baron's and started trying to throw his weight around when we disagreed with him. Now PaulG is telling us that Dave Brown is the best. I mean no offense to Dave Brown, and I certainly wouldn't want to lump him in with Baron, given all the hijinks the latter has pulled, but I wish some of these newby's would get a little more experience before proclaiming one man to be the world's greatest hatter. :eusa_doh:

Ok, time for me to get off the soap box. Happy Holidays, everyone! -M

Last edited:

Samuel

Practically Family
I just watched the movie and it seemed a bit stylized. The acting was wonderful, the costumes are exquisite. The story is very neo-noir—as is the mood, I believe the actors all handled it with care and excellence. Jennifer Connolly is, well she's alluring and poetic, wow factor.

The piece is nuanced led by good writing and direction; very nice editing and musical score. It's been a while since I've seen it, so revisiting it brought its surprises.

I loved the hats, though I would have enjoyed seeing Nick Norte in a broader array of hats and suits as with his crew. Melienie Griffith did a great job playing the quintessential cold-war era wife, demure, beautiful, well made.

I think shooting this as a moody black & white could have brought an extra dimension of credibility, in terms of setting it firmly as a period piece. However, doing that could have reduced its exposure to a newer generation; God knows, my kids dread black and whites.

Like Chinatown, it works in color, though it seems anachronistic at times. I think that's what some of us are picking up on the hats, though totally exquisite, don't totally speak of the era. That's what I meant by seeming "stylized."

It would be a nice option to change the color format and to see it in black and white, I'd love to see how the mood changes as such.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot