Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Indy" Comebacks...

shamus

Suspended
Okay, I thought this might be a good thread.

So you're wearing your favorite fedora out where there are people who are not wearing a similar fedora and you hear that phrase that makes you stop in your tracks, "Hey Indy!"

Instead of the nod or the smile... how about a set of really good comebacks to tell that wonderful person who thinks they're very clever...

And you say......

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Get technical

I like to get technical and say how the indy hat has a dimensionally cut brim, no binding, center dent crease... They usually shut up or go away buy then.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
To fun.

I just say Thank you and lift my fedora off my head and pull out a business card from Steve/Adventurebilt Hat Co and hand it to them. They always say Thanks !:)

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
I've had to deal with this quite a bit, and I think I can safely say that snide comments never help. Most of the time my comebacks go right over the head of the neaderthal who they're addressed to, so there's little point there. Plus, by rising to the bait you're playing right into the moron's hands. I say 'Kill 'em with Kindness' . Go "Hey, What?" and if they say something scathingly clever like, "Nice hat!" say, "Why thanks, thanks very much!". I find I get more smug satisfaction being overly nice to idiots than I do putting them down.

Now, thats for someone who is actually wearing an indiana jones fedora. I gather from what little I know of you, you're probably not wearing one, and the reason you're upset is because people see a nice fedora and think "Indiana Jones", in which case, when someone yells "Hey, Indy" you can look politely confused and say "Pardon? Who?"

Kill 'em with Kindness

green papaya

One Too Many
one time in the grocery store I was wearing an A2 leather jacket and khaki trousers, brown desert boots

and a girl starts humming the tune from the Indiana Jones movies and laughing.

shamus

Suspended
the worst I've had, was one time, while wearing my Half-Belt and a Desert Camo Boonie Hat!

I try not to wear a 30's-40's fedora if wearing a dark brown leather jacket just because I hate that comment. I'm currently wearing a 50's shorter brim Richman Brothers brown fedora and hope I can get away with it.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I realize that this is an everyday occurrence for the COW crowd, but what about the folks here who are wearing their homburgs or Bogies, or other hats that are so obviously NOT Indiana Jones-wear. Do you hear these comments as well?

Here's a story: early one Saturday morning, I went out to walk my dog in a park near my house dressed almost entirely like Indiana Jones: hat, Wested, shirt, web belt, Taupe trousers, and boots. I just felt like doing it and it was an early hour. Wouldn't you know, someone came up to me and asked, "Who are you? Elliot Ness???" -I suppose you can never win!

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
So long as I'm not mistaken for Crocodile Dundee, they can say anything they like :)

BTW: I'm on record as having said the only thing you won't find me wearing in public is a Sherlock Holmes hat.

The Mad Hatter said:
BTW: I'm on record as having said the only thing you won't find me wearing in public is a Sherlock Holmes hat.

Hey! I wear a deerstalker on occasion. :)
Beside that, the Dickens Faire is coming back around here soon. I better get that hat out and get it ready to be used with my tweed inverness cape. ;) The game is afoot Watson!

Regards to all,

J

Hemingway Jones said:
I realize that this is an everyday occurrence for the COW crowd, but what about the folks here who are wearing their homburgs or Bogies, or other hats that are so obviously NOT Indiana Jones-wear. Do you hear these comments as well?

I've only ever encountered the comments with Jones-esque (to the casual, uneducated observer) hats. The homburg only elicits guffaws. To which i rejoinder my best Churchillian scowl

Churchill_2.jpg

bk

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I don't get many comments at all, and the few I do get tend to be complimentary - I run with a gentle crowd, but some are kinda funny. Someone asked me once who I thought I was, Mike Marlowe? Somebody else said that they'd never seen a cowboy hat that small before. People are strange.

Does anyone remember the Frasier episode in which Daphne complains about all the hats filling the closet and Frasier says, very defensively, "I'll have you know the Homburg is poised for a comeback."

Taking a leaf from his book, if I ever get the Indy comment or any other I need to snap back to, I'll say, "I'm ahead of the curve."

:cheers1:

The Wingnut

One Too Many
This isn't quite 'Indy' confusion, but my cousins' wives are from Vietnam...one of them gave me a country CD (forget which artist) last Christmas...evidently, they think I'm a cowboy, despite the suits. I didn't bother explaining.

I've got the Indy comments on occasion, and based on how they're delivered and who's doing it, I'm usually thankful. It's what you should expect if you're wearing a fedora of any sort with a leather jacket, unfortunately, but it's better than 'What are you supposed to be, a lion tamer?' ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points