Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The King's Speech (2010)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
The King's Speech

Tells the story of the man who became King George VI, the father of Queen Elizabeth II. After his brother abdicates, George ('Bertie') reluctantly assumes the throne. Plagued by a dreaded stutter and considered unfit to be king, Bertie engages the help of an unorthodox speech therapist named Lionel Logue. Through a set of unexpected techniques, and as a result of an unlikely friendship, Bertie is able to find his voice and boldly lead the country into war.

kings_speech.jpg

The-Kings-Speech-2.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1504320/

The Tailer: http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1424886041/

I am genuinely interested in this period piece. Although it is a drama it has some nice natural comedy moments to it. The Cast of Geoffrey Rush, Colin Firth & Helena Bonham Carter looks like it has great chemestry to pull this one off. Next to some films out there I would love to see this on in the theaters, whereas others I think I'll wait for the DVD's.

Cheers!

Dan

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I saw part of A Good Woman yesterday on IFC - a version of Lady Windermere's Fan set in the 30s and from what I saw, it's a good one as well.

I'll be checking the theater schedules for Thanksgiving weekend, though, to see if I can find The King's Speech.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I think one of the things I'm really looking forward to is the costuming in this one. I just liked what I saw in the trailer & pictures. I mean the story is of great interest, but I alway am interested in what they wore back in the day. Theses period pieces a sort of a good little color window in the past.
Interestingly, Geoffrey Rush is the Executive Producer on this one. Must be one of his favorite bits of history.
90456_bb.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Overshadowed by Churchill's bulldog character, George VI was a truly heroic figure
of the Second World War, and died much too young. Had he lived, his stature as a great
monarch/statesman would be more firmly established.

Still haven't seen Victoria. :eek:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well, I finally got around to watching this one. I for one found it quite moving. If we all could only have a friend like Lionel Logue. Thought it was well done and believable. There were plenty of costume pieces that I would love to have from that film as well.
Good to know that in the end they stayed life long friends. I for one will be watching this one again and again.

Cheers!

Dan

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I just recently watched this too. Cool movie, especially as it's based on true events. I especially liked the interiors of Lionel's office/apartment, with it's layers of tattered wallpaper and domed ceilings with skylights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy